PDA

View Full Version : Paint and decals for 85 S&S

d36yzrider
07-16-2006, 01:01 PM
I have a 85 mastercraft its in great shape for a 85 but after 21 years of use the paint is starting to fade the blue stripe has lost its gloss and has a haze to it. I have tried a million differient fiberglass restoration products and they shine it up but it eventually fades. My question is what is involved in getting it painted i dont know much about jel coat paint jobs who does them? and where can I get some new decals? I love this boat and I love the fact that I usually get more complements from random people at the lake than the guys with the 60,000 wakeboard boats :)

ski_king
07-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I will let somebody else field the paint/gelcoat question.

As far as decals go, the are available. Some dealers (Jim@baws) has some in stock, but they are going fast. There are some aftermarket decal cutters who can cut them to match also.
PM me if you need a name.

JohnnyB
07-16-2006, 02:06 PM
I have tried a million differient fiberglass restoration products and they shine it up but it eventually fades.

Has the application been by hand or did you buff it?

Several folks have had restoration posts on this site....I was searching for a couple that had great pictures and step-by-step directions, but couldn't find what i was looking for. Hopefully someone chimes in, but I know folks have had luck with using rotary buffers and this product set:

http://www.properautocare.com/gelcomakitfo1.html

dichdoc
07-20-2006, 10:26 AM
I used the proper auto care kit and buffer worked great but I wish I would have wet sanded first. I've also been using 303 protectorant and it seems to be helping with to prevent the fade out. I got a quote for re gel coating the whole boat and it was around ten grand!!! There are usually auto body shops that specialize in fiberglass work I had a full set of original decals with the large side ones not being the right size I took them to a sign shop and they scanned and stretched them and printed two of the big ones for $35.

oldschool84
07-21-2006, 09:52 AM
Just ordered some decals from jim that were hard to find i'd call him 813-996-2297:D