PDA

View Full Version : Maristar 200 steering cable

AHudgins
07-15-2006, 11:40 PM
Just in case anyone ever has to pull a steering cable on their Maristar, my 3 hour job turned into a 3 evening job. I have removed and replaced cables on my old 190s in just a few hours. On my Maristar, I couldn't get the cable to pull out from under the floor because it felt like it was hanging on something. Took out the middle seat and the floor panel and I couldn't tell anything. Had to pull up the gas tank which was a job itself. When I got the tank up I found that someone had tied the steering cable to the wiring harness with 2 little plastic wire ties. No telling what this job would have cost me at the dealership. Putting the tank back in the floor was like shoving a 300 pound fat chic into a mini-skirt. I would love to find the guy who put the wire ties on the cable.:mad:

bigmac
07-16-2006, 01:23 AM
I would love to find the guy who put the wire ties on the cable.:mad:

My money's on Hoosier Bob...

Maristar210
07-16-2006, 11:42 AM
My money's on Hoosier Bob...

Amen to that Bigmac. HB it is...

Steve

JimN
07-16-2006, 11:58 AM
If the cable hadn't been tied to the harness, it would probably have squirmed when the boat was steered. That's how they're assembled and as far as the cost if you went to a dealer, after working on a lot of boats, they would know that the tank needs to come out for this repair and I doubt that it would have taken as long, not that I'm knocking you. A dealer would also have a way to get the gas out and hold it faster than most boat owners and they would know what to look for. For future reference, the rear seat can be raised instead of removing it for taking the floor panel out.

I had to replace a tank on a Maristar (factory recall- the tank manufacturer used a material that reacted with the ethanol and "grew") and while I didn't really like seeing that they were paying us 1.5 hours, I got it done in about that amount of time. That included draining the tank and refilling it.

AHudgins
07-18-2006, 12:54 AM
The underside of my gas tank has a channel in it just for the wiring harness and the cables, so there is no room for any wiggle. I've owned two 190s and the steering cables have never been tied or clamped to anything so removing them was a breeze. Maybe my tank also "grew" (it's a 95). In order to get the tank back in the floor, I had to put a light coat of oil along the sides of the tank, use two crow bars as wedges, and get two people to stand on it. It was tight!!!!