PDA

View Full Version : Removing the floor access panel

JohnnyB
07-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Is there any good trick to removing the rear floor access panel (over the exhaust and steering).

Seems like you've got to unbolt the motor cover hinges from the underside, then remove the motorcover, and then remove the floor panel.....anyone find a shortcut?

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Do your motor cover hinges, not screw into the floor panel? I just remove the screws from the hinge in the floor, slide the motor cover forward as far as it will go and place 2 spray cans or anything 2" to 3" high, 1 each side of the rear of motor cover to raise it up, then remove all the floor panel screws, slide the panel forward and pull it out from the rear. This way I never have to take the motor cover out of the boat, making it a 1 man job.

JohnnyB
07-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Nope, my 92 was set up that way and the process was similar to as you describe. The new one has hinges with studs that go from the underside of the hinge, through the floor and bolt under the floor.

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 08:48 PM
I guess you have to have the motor cover 1/2 open to remove bolts and nuts to remove? Then I guess you could set the motor cover back down then slide it forward for the prop up method I described. The bolt/nut method sounds like a pain in the rear!

AHudgins
07-15-2006, 10:25 PM
On my Prostar 190 I just took the keys out of the hinge pins and then pulled the pins out. No need to unscrew anything. I guess all years of boats are not the same.