View Full Version : Great Day, the boat is back!
10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
On my way down to pickup my "new"......old boat. Dealership called this morning and has been unloaded and ready for pickup.. :dance:
10-29-2004, 11:34 AM
So what was wrong with it?
east tx skier
10-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Was this the gel coat stuff?
you were going to give us the long version of the story once you got it home, so cough it up!
10-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Yes, Tell us the story when you get it back..."Inquiring mind want to know"
10-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Mark, Great news! The fun meter s/b pegged this weekend, enjoy!
10-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Beautiful day here in Florida. I got the boat this morning and could not be happier! The new interior and windshield looks great. All the gel coat looks wonderful! I feel like I have a new boat again.
Thanks MasterCraft, Tim Best and Mike Mc????? and Liquid Sports!
All problems seem to be rectified :dance:
10-29-2004, 01:06 PM
This is the 05 interior vinyl. Looks and feels much better!
10-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Your boat became even rarer! 35th Anniversary boat with '05 interior.
10-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Long Version.....(not really, don't feel like re-hashing something that has been corrected).
The boat was plagued with issues that I felt should not happen.
1. First time out, bimini was attached to the stainless windshield frame, it completly blew off and landed in the back seat. Windshield was not strong enough to support bimini and the screws ripped out.
2. Stranded on St. John's river with 20 hrs on boat, could not move the steering wheel, came down to idle and the steering froze up completely, narrowly missing the shoreline.
3. Stranded by Perfect Pass, cable (not knob assembly part) would break.
4. Boat trailer came off the vehicle at 30 MPH, bucking of the breaks and missing couple bolt was the culprit. Fixed, still have hole in bumper on the trailblazer.
5. Towable cover left sticky residue anywhere it touched the boat, including the vinyl. Could not use cleaners on list to lift. Had to use harsh stuff from dealership, vinyl never would lift stains from that point on, also all embroidery faded. Couple this with Gas on the rear decks from filling and you have nasty yellow stains. After 11 months of going back and forth all vinyl is replaced with 05 material, and I must add this stuff is nice!
6. Windshield replacement left gelcoat pops around screw holes, windshield pulled and replaced twice.
7. Steering frozen for second time.....
8. Nah, I'm done. Trust me, there were about 30 items, of which 15-20 were on going. I love the boat, but was to a point it was going to be time to sell. Now, I feel better.
MasterCraft is also sending me a new (replacement) 35th anniversary towable cover for the boat at no cost for my troubles. I had custom covers made to replace the originals, but always liked the look of the towables. Doubt I will ever tow with it because my customs work well, but the towable is quick and easy for those overnight tie-ups!
east tx skier
10-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Ah, now I remember the old posts with these issues. Glad you got them resolved.
10-29-2004, 01:43 PM
I noticed the same sticky residue on my 2003 PS197 everywhere the cover touches. Anyone have any idea what this is? Was there a problem with the 03 covers?
35th, glad I was able to help, but more importantly that everything is taken care of and you are happy.
I would NEVER put that towable cover on your boat, the only thing more abrasive than the material they are made of may be my personality! :eek:
Seriously though we sell quite a few colored deck boats and have had to buff and or repair the gel on many of them. At this point the cover I order on stock boats with colored decks is the snap covers. We have learned the hard way and towing with one turns it into the marine equivalent of a DA sander. Oh…IMHO. ;)
10-29-2004, 02:25 PM
My original cover, felt tacky on the backside.....not sure what it is, but my thought was like a repellant.....Talked with other owners and they did not have this problem. I also wondered if down here in Fl with the heat and black cover if that had anything to do with it. Not sure, but it wasn't fun cleaning as all the dirt would attract to the areas. Kind of felt like putting electrical tape on your vinyl, letting it heat in the afternoon sun, then removing the tape and have the adhesive left. Acetone will take it right of the fiberglass though, make sure you wax after.
10-29-2004, 02:29 PM
Thank MyMC. I really only wanted the cover to stay with the Anniversary theme. It was a great looking cover. Agree with you about the snaps. My custom cover works well and also protects that stainless windshield. The MC cover will be for overnight trips at the dock.
35th- That wasn't Mark MacLemore at MC, was it?
10-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Congratulations. Glad you got our boat fixed :D . How about explaining that "trailer came off tow vehicle at 30mph" one a little more?
What happened to cause the steering to freeze up?