PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Help

JohnnyB
07-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Anybody know a cross for an oil filter for a 2004 Predator TBI engine.

I crossed it with a WIX/Carquest and it is too tall to fit in place of the MC filter. About 2" taller.

The Carquest cross for a penzoil PZ3 or PF25 is 85069. The cross for a WIX is 51069.

Also, I can't believe a filter as short as the MC one can be effective???

JimN
07-15-2006, 08:29 PM
If you want a bigger filter, use the AC PF1218. You don't think they tested these filters on cars, in the worst possible conditions? I have a friend who worked at the GM Desert Proving Grounds for about 25 years and you wouldn't believe what kind of testing they did. If the motor doesn't get the oil particularly dirty, 50 hours for a filter is a walk in the park. You've probably seen cars that hadn't seen a new filter in 3 years and the motor still runs.

JohnnyB
07-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks Jim....a bigger filter won't fit between the mounting and the bilge blower....is there something out there that matches the profile/size of the MC filter

JimN
07-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Well, you could always move the blower enough to fit a larger filter.

JohnnyB
07-15-2006, 08:39 PM
In the end, that's probably what I'll do.....

JohnnyB
07-15-2006, 09:17 PM
If you want a bigger filter, use the AC PF1218. You don't think they tested these filters on cars, in the worst possible conditions? I have a friend who worked at the GM Desert Proving Grounds for about 25 years and you wouldn't believe what kind of testing they did. If the motor doesn't get the oil particularly dirty, 50 hours for a filter is a walk in the park. You've probably seen cars that hadn't seen a new filter in 3 years and the motor still runs.

I ran the cross-ref on the delco website and also stepped through the application guide for an Indmar...the site recommends a PF454...how does it compare to the PF1218....this didn't seem to cross correctly with the PF3, WIX51069 or others....

lsupcar
07-15-2006, 11:54 PM
The Mobil 1 M1-111 is the same size. Just go to an auto parts store, find one that will fit, then find one in whatever brand you like that is the same size. You can hold them next to each other to compare. Bill Z

JohnnyB
07-16-2006, 12:34 PM
Well, you could always move the blower enough to fit a larger filter.

Moved it out of the way to install the filter and then put it back....may look to move it permanently in fall.

The Mobil 1 M1-111 is the same size. Just go to an auto parts store, find one that will fit, then find one in whatever brand you like that is the same size. You can hold them next to each other to compare. Bill Z

Will look at the Mobil 1 M1-111 in fall at my next oil change....

JimN
07-16-2006, 01:00 PM
There was an oil filter test in a link on the old TMC site- google "oil filter test" and see what it shows for results. Fram did particularly bad, the bulk of them were in the middle and a few were on top as far as quality, just like any other test I have seen. AC did well due to the filter paper area and anti-siphon characteristics. I use the PF-1218 on my truck, at the recommendation of my friend who worked at the Proving Grounds. He has his own shop now and uses what he thinks is the best for the money, based on past experience and doing a lot of testing for GM.

vogelm1
07-16-2006, 03:41 PM
There was an oil filter test in a link on the old TMC site- google "oil filter test" and see what it shows for results. Fram did particularly bad, the bulk of them were in the middle and a few were on top as far as quality, just like any other test I have seen. AC did well due to the filter paper area and anti-siphon characteristics. I use the PF-1218 on my truck, at the recommendation of my friend who worked at the Proving Grounds. He has his own shop now and uses what he thinks is the best for the money, based on past experience and doing a lot of testing for GM.

Remember reading about this a while back. The NAPA brand filters did real well IIRC. In the FAQ section at the bottom of ETS's posts, there is a cross reference number listed for that motor, for NAPA filters. I do know for sure it crosses with the PZ3 and it's the size dimensions.

JimN
07-16-2006, 05:33 PM
With the recommended oil filter change interval being 50 hours, I don't really think it's necessary to sweat the brand of the filter. Good flow and anti-siphon are important. Of the motor isn't run for a week or longer, I would actually recommend cranking it a little longer than normal to get some oil up to the top end if it's hot and dry where the boat is used/stored. Just remove the lanyard and crank it for about 5-10 seconds, then reinstall the lanyard and start it. This keeps it from going over 300 RPM and since there won't be any load on the motor, wear will be mininal.

The guys I know who work(ed) at GM all say that as long as the oil is clean and hasn't been overheated, the motor won't wear out prematurely. They tear motors down all the time and see first hand how much wear occurs after the destructive testing they do. They had to run a Cavalier without oil to see how long it would survive on their 5 mile oval track, in summer (Phoenix, AZ). 250 miles, but it was pretty well toasted. They ran a Corvette with the ZR-1 without oil and it never seized but when they tore it down, it needed a new gasket set.