PDA

View Full Version : my never ending problems...i need help again

blackbeauty02
07-15-2006, 05:28 PM
so after we got my transmission fixed and the electrical problem i was having out of the way the starter went out. we can't figure it out but the starter that is in it ate away the fly wheel. we took the tranny out and got the fly wheel out and o'reilly's and autozone can't find one that matches it. the wierd thing is is that they look up a 351 windsor and it came up with the starter that is in it. does anyone know where i can find a flywheel and starter that work together for my boat. it's a 92 prostar 205. the marine store said they would call mastercraft on monday and get a part number or order it for me. thing is they want $300 for a marine starter. so i don't even want to know how much they want for a flywheel. i'm hoping someone will know where to find a flywheel and a starter that will fit it so that this problem won't happen again.

ttu
07-16-2006, 09:14 AM
blackbeauty, wow something again. sorry to hear.

what ever you do don't use a regular auto starter. the marine ones are designed not to produce a spark..

hope season gets better for ya.

6ballsisall
07-16-2006, 10:05 AM
BB man you are having some issues with that thing! Look at it this way, in short order that boat will be all new and you'll know everything about it! :cool:

As said above...whatever you do DO NOT put a auto starter on that thing!! Call Skidim and order their starter for the 351w. I had one on my 86' it pulls WAY faster than the old school starters for that motor and it less than $300 IIRC. As for a flywheel, I am pretty sure there isn't anything different between a marine and auto flywheel. Skidim could answer that question for you though.

TMCNo1
07-16-2006, 07:33 PM
skidim.com has a breakdown of the various engines in their catalogue and can maybe get a flywheel for you or tell you where you can get one.

JLeuck64
07-16-2006, 09:10 PM
check this out...

http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.asp

Then enter the word flywheel in the search function.

You might be able to replace just the starter ring gear and re-use the original flywheel for a fraction of the cost. Any machine shop should be able to change it out for you.

SkiDog
07-16-2006, 09:38 PM
I know the BEST fix for this thing! Lift up the motor box and drive a new boat under it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You gotta be getting sick of this crap by now! Did you buy this boat new? If not, see if you can locate the service records on it(if there are any). Mastercraft is not perfect and every now and then, a lemon will grow out of the factory.

G-man
07-16-2006, 09:59 PM
I know the BEST fix for this thing! Lift up the motor box and drive a new boat under it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You gotta be getting sick of this crap by now! Did you buy this boat new? If not, see if you can locate the service records on it(if there are any). Mastercraft is not perfect and every now and then, a lemon will grow out of the factory.

Mastercraft did not build the engine or watch over it since 92. I think it is harsh to even mention a lemon on this old of a product.

SkiDog
07-17-2006, 09:07 AM
Mastercraft did not build the engine or watch over it since 92. I think it is harsh to even mention a lemon on this old of a product.

Yea, I know, However It's STILL part of the boat!