PDA

View Full Version : Boat still moves forward in neutral

blk83mc
07-15-2006, 03:48 PM
Recently the prop will continue to engage (forward ) in the neutral position. It's not turning too many RPMs. Are the clutch bands "hanging" up? The linkage isn't the problem. It's not that big of a safety hazard, because I always turn off the boat when someone is entering/exiting the boat. Any ideas?

PendO
07-15-2006, 03:50 PM
what does the fluid look like? Is it foamy? Is it full and look in good shape?

blk83mc
07-15-2006, 03:54 PM
The fluid looks good.

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 05:03 PM
Are you saying, that if the boat is sitting still in the water in neutral the prop still turns?
If the boat is still moving in a forward direction and the prop is still turning and it is in neutral then the water moving under the boat is turning the prop as wind would move the blades on a fan if you blew on it. Then, when the boat comes to a complete stop does the prop still keep turning?

east tx skier
07-16-2006, 10:16 PM
If I remember the details correctly, the clutch plate gets a glaze on it after a while and causes this. As long as it isn't turning too fast, it's supposedly not a big deal.

barefoot
07-16-2006, 10:37 PM
That happens to one of my buddy’s boat. We found the solution to do a neutral throttle shot and the prop stops turning.

blk83mc
07-17-2006, 10:07 PM
TMC01, yes the prop continues to turn in neutral.
east tx skier, it's not turning too fast. It turns faster in gear.
barefoot, I have tried the neutral throttle shot.
Thanks for all the responses......Keith

BrianM
07-17-2006, 11:33 PM
My '88 did that a bit. Not a real big deal if it is just a slow creep. It was explained to me as sometimes when the transmissions start to get old the clutch plates can warp and or glaze a bit causing it to creep a little in neutral. Not a lot you can do about it unless you do a rebuild. Fresh fluid change may help but more than likely won't cure. Just run it and live with it until it gets bad or you have some other transmission issue and then rebuild.

blk83mc
07-19-2006, 03:20 PM
Barefoot, the prop will STOP at 2200 RPM and above. Figure that out. It will start agian below 2200. Did your buddy's continue to turn or did it stop from turning all together? Thanks