PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat over vinyl decals????

blk83mc
07-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I have an black '83 Stars and Stripes. I think the metalic is too far gone. I have tried everything that I can think of. The rest of the boat is great shape. My brother works at a body shop and suggested that I just clear the metalic stripes on the boat. We wet sanded a little area and shot some clear and it looked brand new. It really brought the black metalic back out. I know by shooting just the metalic stripes, I will have a raised area the thickness of the clear. Does anyone know if you can clear over the decals or just shoot the clear and apply new decals? Thanks in advance....Keith

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 02:53 PM
I would remove the decals prior to applying the clearcoat, your brother should know that! I am not sure what kind of clearcoat you plan on using, but the thinners/solvents in the clear may melt or bubble the vinyl and that is the last thing you want to happen. Then apply new decals over the clearcoat when the clear is dry. Have someone copy or you can trace the old decals prior to removing, then have a new set made, making sure they are correct prior to removing the old ones. Be sure to mark or document where the old decals were located too, so you can install the new ones in the right place.

ski_king
07-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I would remove the decals then put on new decals on top of the new clear.
You can search on here and find lots of sources of replacement decals?

How about a picture?

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 03:02 PM
[Quote]ski king[Quote]
He'e everywhere, he's everywhere!

blk83mc
07-15-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm not having good luck on the decals. Still waiting to hear back from the guy in FL that bought all of the old decals fom MC.

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 03:16 PM
I'm not having good luck on the decals. Still waiting to hear back from the guy in FL that bought all of the old decals fom MC.

He is suppose to be in Atlanta, Lake Lanier for the 2006 East Coast Reunion this weekend. Hopefully he will get back to you the first of the week!

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 03:18 PM
What color decals do you need for your boat? How many stars do you need?

ski_king
07-15-2006, 03:35 PM
If you strike out with Jim@baws, PM me, I have the name of a couple decal cutters that can make the 83 decals in any color. Priced around $100 to $150 for the entire boat.
But Jim@baws or another MC dealer is the best first choice.

blk83mc
07-15-2006, 03:41 PM
TMC01, I need all of the stars and the rest of the decals. I have some extra stars, but not sure if the color will match. The stars are grey, but if I remember, MC calls them silver.

Ski King, thanks. I might take you up on that offer.

kidshanko
09-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Good morning

I have a 1990 PS 190 that is in need of paint refurbishment

I thought it would be best to complete a wet sand and then reapply the clear coat, and hopefully the new "prostar 190" graphics on the side.

My question, has anyone had a concern with a new clearcoat??
A guy at the local shop said it will fade or turn yellow and that I should just polish compound and wax.

Next question - can anyone suggest where I can find the "prostar 190" graphics set??

thanks................Reg
Alberta Cananda

88 PS190
09-01-2006, 11:00 AM
kidshanko, i'd recommend restoring y buffing and polishing first. and see how well that brings it back, you'd be amazed what a few hours of electric polishing can do for a finish.

SHINY.

prostar 190 graphic sets are sometimes available from Jim at BAWS which is a mastercraft dealer, he's on the forum alot you can find him here, or probably through here, http://www.bayareawatersports.com/

or what most people do is take clear pictures of their graphics and then get a sign shop (their job is cutting vinyl graphics) to cut and place the graphics onto the application paper.

You just apply to the boat...

TMCNo1
09-01-2006, 07:29 PM
Good morning

I have a 1990 PS 190 that is in need of paint refurbishment

I thought it would be best to complete a wet sand and then reapply the clear coat, and hopefully the new "prostar 190" graphics on the side.

My question, has anyone had a concern with a new clearcoat??
A guy at the local shop said it will fade or turn yellow and that I should just polish compound and wax.

Next question - can anyone suggest where I can find the "prostar 190" graphics set??

thanks................Reg
Alberta Cananda

Unless you have metalflake somewhere on your boat you will not have a clearcoat over ther color, it is just pure color gelcoat and can be compounded, polished and waxed. There are several options and products posted here in various threads.
There are several threads and post, also on here concerning replacement decal sets , anywhere from original decals someone may have to sell, to programs that you can take to a sign shop and have your decals made.
You did not state what model or color boat you have, unless it matches your profile.
Best way to get replacement decals for a 1990 today, is to take the boat to the signshop and have them photograph, measure and match to the proper color. Have a extra set made for obvious reasons!