PDA

View Full Version : solara,canmore

sizzler
10-29-2004, 08:20 AM
to all canadians out there.......a buddy of mine is buying a condo in the resort,says its great for skiing, and golf.......what about waterskiing??,,any lakes near by.......????

any info would be appreesh....

sizzler
10-29-2004, 10:41 AM
if you need more info ..its about 1 hr from calgary airport......i think

NeilM
10-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Sizzler,

Canmore is the latest hotspot for Vacation Condos - property values have skyrocketed in the past few years since Alberta Environment approved new golf courses in the area. What was a $100,000 condo two years ago is a $300,000 condo (Canadian dollars) today..
Canmore is about as close to Banff National Park as you can get without being in the park -- it's just outside the gates. There is great cross-country (snow) skiing here - it was the site of the X-C events for the 1988 Winter Olympics.
Closest waterskiing I think would be to backtrack 50 miles (toward Calgary) to the Ghost Reservoir - a glacier-fed lake that's frequented by a few of us on this board.. I suppose one could try Minnewanka Lake in the park, but considering there are ice crystals in the water in the dead of summer....

here's a link (one of many) http://www.canmorealberta.com/

oh yeah, and to the Solara resort http://www.solararesort.com/ownership.html

ps. I'm gonna be in the UK Nov 19-25

sizzler
10-29-2004, 11:01 AM
thx neil.....my friend has bought 2 condos there. they have guaranteed him8% return on renting over the next 2 years.....looks gorgeous.....where are you staying when you come to england????

sizzler
10-29-2004, 11:04 AM
by the way...great name for a lake.........

NeilM
10-29-2004, 09:00 PM
Sizzler, I arrive midday on the 20th, and if all goes according to plan, I'll be heading up to the midlands (Market Drayton, in Shropshire) to visit friends.. If not, I'll be staying evening of the 20th somewhere where I can get a room downtown.

On the 21st I have to head to Midhurst, in Essex, where we've booked a small hotel for 3 days of meetings (ugh!), then hopefully on the 25th get to Great Missenden (in Bucks) for a quick visit before the 10 hr flight back from Heathrow..

... I'm surprized they 'guaranteed' anything for your buddy... It's probable he'll make 8% or more, but they sure don't guarantee anything here...
It is gorgeous country... IMO, too bad they're spoiling it with golf courses...

sizzler
11-01-2004, 04:55 AM
methiks midhurst is in west sussex.....i live in essex and don't think its around here???

NeilM
11-02-2004, 11:33 AM
methiks midhurst is in west sussex.....i live in essex and don't think its around here???
oops... you're right... :confused: (I still get lost in downtown London, never mind the countryside...)