PDA

View Full Version : Raw Water Pump

ibaukcat
07-15-2006, 09:39 AM
I have a 93' Prostar 190 351 Ford. I noticed a slight drip on the backside of the impeller. Any ideas? Do I need to replace the raw water pump? Thanks.

Kell
07-15-2006, 10:35 AM
I believe there is a seal at the back of the raw water pump that may be the source and repair kits are available to replace this seal. Can you tell if the drip is from the raw water pump or the water circulation pump?

jackpita
07-15-2006, 11:01 AM
here is the parts link: easy to install
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=68-5004

ibaukcat
07-15-2006, 11:04 AM
I can't w/out looking further.. It is very slight...I just noticed it when I saw water in the hull. I'm at work, rather be skiing though. Thanks for the reply and I'll check further before I order a whole new pump

ibaukcat
07-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the link. Just ordered one. I'm afraid I may have damaged it by pressing too hard when putting my impeller back in after storage.

Kevin 89MC
07-16-2006, 01:22 PM
I think I may have the same leak. Let us know how it goes. I'll probably tackle mine this fall.
Good luck,
Kevin

chirobum
07-17-2006, 10:05 AM
that makes three of us, noticed a slight drip from mine. is it ok to wait for winter? nothing more than a drip.

Danimal
07-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Mine just started doing the same thing. I believe mine is leakiing from the weep hole on the pump. How long can I run like this. My eyes have been glued to the temp guage since noticing the drips.

Granite_33
07-17-2006, 12:16 PM
Generally speaking you should be OK with the back of the RW Pump dripping. All within reason, of course.

I experienced the same issue and actually let it go for a summer. I just emptied the bilge every so often while under operation, etc.

The seal did need to be replaced, however it still had enough contact area and pressure to keep the pump operating normally, and engine temps were not affected at all.

There are 2 ways to replace the seal. Some on the board prefer to take the entire pump apart. I on the other hand pulled the old seal out and put the new seal in without removing the pump. I used some marine grease inside the seal seat area and it slipped in, no problem.

Good Luck with it!