PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Prop Question???

gr8smiles
07-14-2006, 06:18 PM
I have an 05 X-Star with the MCX engine. I have 2 props, a spare and the OEM. The props are 13.7x17V HC OJ. I took off the OEM a few weeks ago to have it trued. We have a lot of logs and sticks here, so I keep them trued and change them once or twice a summer.

Well, as luck would have it, I bumped a submerged log/stick etc. last night. I felt the usual wobble of a bent blade and headed to the dock.

Called my son. He brought my OEM back from home (which I haven't taken to get trued yet, but still runs pretty true) Also, called the dealer and they sent me a new one off of one of their 06 X-Stars.

Long story short, the new one from the 06 has the same markings, yet I cannot for the life of me get the interior splines to line up and fit. I spoke with my dealer and he couldn't help much.

I have put the OEM prop back on and that works fine for the weekend. My question is mainly....am I missing something?

All 3 props have the same markings, yet only 2 fit on and off easily. Is the shaft of the 06 and 05 x-stars different?

Thanks for any help here.

nroland
07-14-2006, 09:47 PM
Sorry to hear that. I would call the dealer and ask.

gr8smiles
07-14-2006, 10:51 PM
I did...dealer did not have an answer. He said that sometimes they are hard to put on....

parrish1
07-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey Ric,
If there is the slightest burr within the splines it wont go, only other possibility I can think of is possibly something got switched ,you got a prop with a different shaft size?? These are my only 2 thoughts I can come up with. I too have dinged one this summer--on the lift. Bought an Acme 4 blade and it seems to be very smooth with the same performance. Let me know how it works out.

gr8smiles
07-15-2006, 11:12 AM
I am just gonna return it and get another. They were out of replacement props and he said that they would have some next week. The one I put back on seemed fine. Put 4 more hours on the X-Star yesterday and she ran smooth.

I have a prop fetish a little....ie...at Center Hill Reservoir in Tn, it is very wooded. The Corps of Engineers owns all the land around the lake including about 200-400 yds off the lake. That is federal land and cannot be disturbed....therefore, a lot of wooden debris is in the lake in the spring and early summer. Inevitably, one hits some of this junk and gets some prop bendage, therefore, I swap and tune them alot.

I now will have 3 props...that should do me for a while...:D

BUSSTUFJ
07-17-2006, 08:51 AM
you are doing the right thing keeping a properly balanced and conditioned prop on the boat, even the slightest vibration can harm the transmission or at a minumum loosen up critical hardware.

If you are hitting objects frequenetly have you ever damged a front fin? I am wondering how difficult these are to replace / repair?

06 X star
LE 38 Ski Ski

gr8smiles
07-17-2006, 09:29 AM
I have actually had to replace a front fin....how did you guess?

They are glued on as well as screwed on with a large allen screw. I ended up getting an allen set that fit a ratchet. That worked well since they are in pretty tight. After you get the screws out, you will need to 'knock' off the fin since it is glued....I used a hammer and tapped....

I then placed the new glue ( I forgot which type) and screwed the new one on...good to go!

I did that in some rocks...won't go there again!

ematthew
07-17-2006, 11:19 AM
Last year I had a similar problem with an OJ 13.7 x 17 prop not fitting on the splined shaft. I returned it and my dealer gave me a replacement which fit perfectly. Maybe you were sold the prop I returned!

RobertT
07-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Just as a note, I went out yesterday with my dealer (and friend) on his Xstar. He said in passing that somebody found the sweat spot on Xstars with the MCX regarding props. He said that its an unbelievable difference, HUGE.

I didnt ask how to get one or if they are available yet on the open market, I dont have an Xstar.

If you want me to ask I will. However, I would guess that any of the dealers that went to training probably were given the same information.

For what its worth....just thought I would throw it out there.

gr8smiles
07-17-2006, 11:39 AM
Would love for you to find out...my dealer is not the best in that department....thanks

Would even order one from him if he has what I need...

RobertT
07-17-2006, 11:52 AM
I shot him an email.

RobertT
07-17-2006, 12:25 PM
He said that the prop of choice is the OJ 14x14.

He said that it pulls like the LQ9, and actually uses less fuel at low RPMs.

gr8smiles
07-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Do you mind posting contact info? I would like to speak with him. PM me if you prefer.

Thanks

RobertT
07-17-2006, 03:40 PM
I dont mind posting it....best dealer around!!

Dri-Port Marine

Ask for Greg Maze. He not only is the one that takes care of every need that I have, but is a good friend too.

gr8smiles
07-29-2006, 12:56 AM
Thanks Greg...I put the 14.2x14.5 on tonight. A little tight on the splines, but went on fine.

Boat runs 51-52 hundred rpms and tops out at 40 mph...sound right?

I was alone in the boat and had no ballast and about 1/2 tank of fuel.

Will try in the am with a boat full...

craig3972
08-11-2006, 01:44 PM
I've got an 06 x-star 350mcx and with the stock prop, 1/2 tank gas, 2000ft elevation by myself tops out at 46mph.

michael freeman
08-11-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks Greg...I put the 14.2x14.5 on tonight. A little tight on the splines, but went on fine.

Boat runs 51-52 hundred rpms and tops out at 40 mph...sound right?

I was alone in the boat and had no ballast and about 1/2 tank of fuel.

Will try in the am with a boat full...

I tried that same prop on my X-30 (2006) MCX and my top end went to something like 35-36 mph at 5000 rpm. With the 13.7x17 I was in the low to mid 40's per the Perfect pass (speedo showed a bit faster). I never got a pull off of it because I hit something early in the weekend that I installed it, so I can't say much about the hole shot.:(

(Note: These numbers are with at least 1000lbs of people and equipment in the boat, and no runs on glass)

Eric at OJ props said this will be the standard prop on future X-30's, but his main question to me was "will I be weighting the boat down for wakeboarding?" So my guess with an X-Star it is the one for you.

Let me know how you like it.

gr8smiles
08-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I tried that same prop on my X-30 (2006) MCX and my top end went to something like 35-36 mph at 5000 rpm. With the 13.7x17 I was in the low to mid 40's per the Perfect pass (speedo showed a bit faster). I never got a pull off of it because I hit something early in the weekend that I installed it, so I can't say much about the hole shot.:(

(Note: These numbers are with at least 1000lbs of people and equipment in the boat, and no runs on glass)

Eric at OJ props said this will be the standard prop on future X-30's, but his main question to me was "will I be weighting the boat down for wakeboarding?" So my guess with an X-Star it is the one for you.

Let me know how you like it.

Love the 14x14....best hole shot on the X-Star that I have had. I don't ever run it over 30mph (who can afford to) so top end is irrelevant to me.

Morgs
08-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Would the OJ 14 x 14 be the prop of choice for the new LY6 6.0L engine in the 07 X-Star also?

michael freeman
08-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Would the OJ 14 x 14 be the prop of choice for the new LY6 6.0L engine in the 07 X-Star also?

I have no idea. You might want to contact Eric at OJ props.

The MCX is rated at 350 hp and this prop seems to be a good match if all you care about is the low end/hole shot.

craig3972
08-08-2007, 01:35 PM
i just put on the OJ XMP 14.25x14.5 on my 06 x-star. top end is 46mph at about 5200rpm @ 1500ft. the boat just launches out of the water as compared to the stock 13.7x17. it looks like a big fan under my boat when on the traier!