PDA

View Full Version : Sirius radio

Ric
10-28-2004, 05:55 PM
New MC's have a clarion deck that's "sirius satellite ready"

What does that mean? Has anyone gotten sirius for their boat and how do you like it?
I will assume "ready" means I'm about to spend some cash?

I will trade my truck in next year and all the new ones come with XM radio. I like the satellite radio idea for a boat but I would think it's smarter to have the boat & truck on one account?

tex
10-28-2004, 06:04 PM
it would be nice to be able to pull the receiver out of your truck on the ramp and slip it into your boat. That is the type of set-up i want.

bcampbe7
10-28-2004, 06:12 PM
Sirius ready means that the components are there, you just have to have your account created and activated.
XM (and probably Sirius) has a device that you can take from your car to the house, or boat. Wherever you have a "docking station." You pay one monthly fee, around $10 plus taxes, plus an activation fee. The problem is that if you bought a new boat that is Sirius ready you may have to remove the receiver and install and XM ready receiver. Not a big deal as you could probably sell the Sirius on EBay or something. If you can opt for a tape deck on your new boat you can buy an adaptor that plugs into your XM unit and uses the tape deck to transmit the music. Kinda like the portable CD players for cars. I would personally use Sirius because I own their stock, but if the vehicle comes with XM that may be the route to go. I would bet that the boat receiver will be easier to change out than the truck's.

NeilM
10-29-2004, 10:02 AM
I ended up with a Clarion XMD3 "Sirius Ready" unit in my boat this summer 'cause the old XMD1 quit working while still under warranty.

Basically, what it gives you is an integrated "input" for a satellite receiver - - same idea as having a TV that's HDTV-ready -- it's got a place to plug it in, but the satellite unit itself isn't there -- allowing you to sign up to whatever service you choose..

OhioProstar
10-29-2004, 10:54 AM
You will need to purchase a $100 Clarion Sirius processing unit hook it up the CNET input, mount a marine sat radio antenna, and activate the service.

east tx skier
10-29-2004, 11:06 AM
I'll be getting Sirius by January 06 so I can continue to listen to Stern in the mornings. Plus, they basically get all the football games I'm told. Bcampe, how long have you had that stock. I'll bet you were a happy Bcamper last month when it shot up 18% or so.

Ric
10-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Thats what I figured guys.
Well neil, you've done it?
How do you like it?
How does the antenna look?
Can I get XM processing unit just the same or will I need a new deck for that?

bcampbe7
10-29-2004, 11:29 AM
I test drove an 2004 Acura TL with the navigation system. That system has the capability for XM. All the car owner had to do was call XM and acitvate it. Actually it was already activated, you just had to let them know if you wanted to continue with the service.

Bcampe, how long have you had that stock. I'll bet you were a happy Bcamper last month when it shot up 18% or so.

I have had it for about 10 months. Hopefully it keeps going up!

east tx skier
10-29-2004, 11:40 AM
I thought about buying some a while back, but I knew Stern was going to end up on Satellite and couldn't get a good idea as to which one it would be. There are other good syndicated talk shows that will surely follow. I'd hold that stock.

bcampbe7
10-29-2004, 11:48 AM
I plan to hold onto it for a while...
I am hoping they will come out with satelite TV for the car. More of a driving down the road friendly version than what may be available now.

east tx skier
10-29-2004, 12:17 PM
Direct TV just came out with a supposedly road friendly Satelite Dish TV system.

Farmer Ted
10-29-2004, 12:32 PM
I've only heard Sirius once, I own XM stock and a couple of radios (Commander and Roady2) I'm very happy with the performance of both.
XM is clearly the leader and pulling farther ahead, they just announced they'll be releasing a walkman type of device in December.

$350 seems kind of steep but this thing has everything you need for the home, car/boat, and personal use. Might be worth checking out.

http://www.xmsr.com/myfi/index.jsp

Plus XM just signed a 10 year deal with MLB, next year every single baseball game will be broadcast on XM.

I was fortunate enough to get in at $2.83 a share, 'm up 1051% :banana:

Ric
10-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Ya I'm leaning toward xm (it's just my luck that mc has a clarion/sirius deal) because
there's a 99.9999 (with a bar over it ) percent chance that my next pu will be gm & have xm so Im trying to be smart about it.
anybody here actually using the sirius on their MC?
anybody here actually using xm on their mc?

east tx skier
10-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Ric, I have a co-worker with XM in his car, so I listen to it somewhat regularly. The programming's okay, I suppose. The comedy channel is hilarious. For my money, I'd get a regular CD deck with MP3 capabilities. That's what I've got. You can burn so many MP3s to a CD-R that we never have to change the CD in the deck. I know you've already got your boat stereo and this doesn't help, but I think it's a better option if you ever have the choice and aren't looking for more than a lot of musical variety.

ktn_cmu
10-29-2004, 02:37 PM
I've also got an MP3 compatible CD player in my car. I love it, I could drive from Michigan to Florida on one disk and I never hear the same song twice. The only problem, I never listen to the radio anymore, so I never know the new good songs...

east tx skier
10-29-2004, 03:41 PM
ktn, not to worry, there are no good new songs on the radio anymore.

crdickey
10-29-2004, 04:21 PM
I live in an area where FM reception is bad, so Satellite is great for that. I added XM to my old boat and liked the channel selection is great. Sold my old boat and got an '03 PS-197 (best one post here IMHO) which came with the XMD-1 Clarion, which was not Sirius capable, so I switched it out. I like Sirius just as well as I did XM. Both Companies offer FM modulated (plays through you FM radio). They also make base stations you so can use one receiver which can go from your house to your car to your boat to your office.

aprgriggs
10-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Sirius and XM Ready means that the head unit can display the song and station titles....you still have to buy a receiver that is placed under the dash or in the trunk. Also you have to have the antenna.

Hopefully MC will have this stuff installed so we can just get the service.

BriEOD
10-29-2004, 05:34 PM
I have Sirius Radio in my wife's SUV. It's pretty sweet. I like the talk NFL and their is a plethra or news, genres of music, and every NFL game weekly.

NeilM
10-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Thats what I figured guys.
Well neil, you've done it?
How do you like it?
How does the antenna look?
Can I get XM processing unit just the same or will I need a new deck for that?
Nope.. haven't done it (but a neighbour has & loves it). So far, to the best of my knowledge, both Sirius and XM remain illegal in Canada.. To get it, I'd have to have my bills go to a USA address....

So far, the Clarion unit only integrates with Sirius via a protocol they call CeNet - same one they use for their TV tuner. You'd have to use FM or the 'aux' input on the Clarion to use XM...

nattylightmike
10-29-2004, 09:50 PM
I have XM in my boat and I am pretty happy with it. I put a Pioneer deck in it and with Pioneer you have to go with XM. It's well worth the $10 a month and I think the activation fee was under $20. I just activate it during the summer and cancel it in the winter. I don't know if they make a marine XM antenna, I just used the regular car antenna and mounted it right in front of the mirror. I have about $2000 of stereo equipment and the only thing that is marine is the 6.5's that are in the side boards, everything else is underneath the bow. XM is a good investment and way better than having to bring a bunch of cd's or listening to static on the radio. A deck that could play MP3's is my next purchase. Just my 2 cents.

Ric
11-05-2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks all
I may opt for the xm and just change out the clarion deck to one ready for xm.
In fact it may be time for me to break down and go let the teenager at the electronics store educate me to my options of having sat radio in truck & boat.

Ric
02-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Update:
My salesman told me the 05 was "sirius ready", "ready means, call them up with your credit card and activate it"
Weeeeeeeelllll. I tried that when the boat arrived to no avail.
As many of you mentioned, the sirius receiver and antenna were not already in the boat and he added them to my boat as it was his mistake.
NOW, the (*&&$^&% thing won't hold a channel when floating in the lake. Kinda like it fuzzes in and out of reception.
The dealer's radio man says it's most likely an antenna location issue
Where have some of you installed your antenna?
Mine is a terk brand marine sirius antenna and it's white. It's currently installed underneath near the radio and I'd like to keep it out of site somewhere unless it's simply not going to work.
TIA

mitch
02-22-2005, 01:28 PM
Ric, I don't think that'll work. If it's like XM the antenna needs an actual line of sight to the sat. i.e., mine does not work under a bridge etc. When I put mine in the boat, I'll use the small antenna w/ suction cup to the windshield.

atlfootr
02-22-2005, 02:12 PM
I have XM in my boat I don't know if they make a marine XM antenna.Yes, they do make a marine XM antenna :woohoo:
http://www.xmradio.com/catalog/product_detail.jsp?id=32024&type=Accessory

Delphi XM SKYFi™ Marine Kit
Model: SA10046
Manufacturer: Delphi
MSRP: $200

AirJunky
02-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Yea Ric,
The antennea needs to be mounted at the highest point on the boat or anytime something gets between it & the satellite it may interupt the signal for a second. On the tower if you have one or maybe on top of the dash or windshield.

I just picked up a Delphi MyFi XM2go & will be installing it in the boat shortly. Reception in my truck is very good as long as the antennea is on the roof. Anywhere else & it faded in & out.

mitch
02-22-2005, 02:27 PM
Bill, How do you like the Myfi? Love mine, never go anywhere w/o it. The one second clip in the record mode is a bit irritating, but other than that :) Hope I can get away with the suction cup antenna, otherwise I may silocone one to the top of the tower.

AirJunky
02-22-2005, 03:21 PM
One day of owning the XM MyFi device & heres a few impressions.

I installed it in my truck & home stereo so far & reception in both is very good. The trick is to mount the antennea as high as possible. I sat it on top of the entertainment center & whenever I'd walk to the south side of it, the reception would blip out for a second. But if I put it up high where I can't walk thru it's path it never loses reception. The little lipstick antennea appears to be garbage, but the magnetic one for your car roof works great. I've only had it blip out a couple of times when I pull the truck right up to the north side of a building. Get 20' away from the building & it comes right back on.

Looks like Stern may go the way of Martha..... http://www.xm411.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=11831
No loss there, I'd rather listen to a baseball game anyway. That Stern deal could very well send Sirius in the tailspin that Martha's company has been fighting the last year or so.

Programming is a bit different than regular radio. Lots of oldies, classics, classic rock, 2 stations with Alternative or what they refer to as Top 40 (definitely not the same as regular radio's Top 40), and like 10 country stations. Still figuring out what stations are any good & how to program the presets on the MyFi. It's a pain to read the display while your driving! The first fatality accident while using a satellite radio is going to outlaw them while driving.

I can only imagine the display won't be easy to read in direct sunlight. I'll probably mount the cradle under the dash/throttle by my right leg in the boat so I'll just set it, leave it alone, and adjust the volume from the stereo. I'll pick up another vehicle antennea with a 10' cord (about $45) & mount it on top of the tower.

Ric
02-22-2005, 03:47 PM
I do like the XM in my truck and am anxious for some real boat time to experience sirius because it definitely doesnt work when the boat is in garage.

I really dont want the terk antenna on top of the tower, so I hope the shop can find something workable. My hangup is that I want to be able to quickly remove the tower(that's one reason I ordered an 04 style tower) and I doubt there would be a quick waterproof disconnect for the sirius antenna in this application.

mitch
02-22-2005, 04:03 PM
Bill, Where are you getting accessories for the Myfi. I spoke to XM and I'm told Delphi will begin to offer them thru their site in a couple of weeks. Right now zippo other than overpriced stuff on ebay. To program the presets, just get it on the station you like, press and hold the preset until it beeps. Just like most cars. Use the remote too, that's a big help. I thought the lipstick antenna worked great, and for inside I run the antenna to the window and leave it on the sill, and it works fine. BTW, you can also program the side wheel to lock on a station vs. having to push the wheel. A little easier. I record 5 hours of new programing every night . It's great to scroll thru the content and listen to the songs you like. http://shopdelphi.com/products/consumers/myfi/accessories/

AirJunky
02-22-2005, 05:22 PM
Mitch, I haven't found anywhere to get aftermarket items yet. In fact, I've heard the same as you, in a couple weeks. I've been reading a lot on http://www.xm411.com. Thanks for the tip on the presets.

Ric, I'm getting good reception in my garage with the antenna on the roof of the truck. When I tried mounting the antenna on the truck dash, it didn't work very well at all. As for the connector on the tower, I have speakers on mine & used a 2 prong plug from Napa similar to the 4 flat used for trailer lights. Unplugs easily for tower removal & sounds fine as far as I can tell, even though their not really designed for speaker wire.

Ric
02-22-2005, 05:31 PM
Cool but I would think an antenna wire is not something that you want to break into?

AirJunky
02-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Yea, could very well be, Ric. I thought about running it inside the windshield frame to the mirror & sticking it on the back of the mirror with velcro.

Hey Mitch, looks like most of the Ebay auctions for XM accessories are taking full advantage of the Delphi shortage. I'll probably just make do with what I have till Delphi puts them out of business.

WakePowell
04-22-2005, 05:26 PM
Ric- I wish I had read this thread earlier since I just bought the Sirius Radio Tuner and Terk Antenna for my 2005 Mastercraft. You indicated that the 2005 boats already have the tuner and antenna installed. Is this something that the dealer did or did it come that way from Mastercraft?

My dealer indicated that I needed to buy the tuner and antenna so that is what I did. I am planning on installing it tonight but I will check first to see if the antenna and tuner are already there. Where did you end up mounting the antenna?

rick s.
04-23-2005, 03:55 PM
my advise is to put the antenna on the tower. It's then permanent and out-of-the-way so you don't ever have to mess with it again. Satellite signals are really very weak, so you need to mount the antenna in an unobstructed location...under the dash will not work.

WakePowell
04-23-2005, 10:40 PM
I installed the Sirius tuner and antenna today and it works great. I did not like the large white marine antenna from Terk so I opted for the small black magnetic Terk antenna. The antenna is mounted just in front of the passenger side windshield. A small piece of 3M double-sided tape was used to secure the antenna.

Sorry I did not correctly read Ric’s previous where the dealer miss-led him on the Sirius ready deck.

Ric
04-25-2005, 03:58 PM
I installed the Sirius tuner and antenna today and it works great. I did not like the large white marine antenna from Terk so I opted for the small black magnetic Terk antenna. The antenna is mounted just in front of the passenger side windshield. A small piece of 3M double-sided tape was used to secure the antenna.

Sorry I did not correctly read Ric’s previous where the dealer miss-led him on the Sirius ready deck.

I've actually not gotten to test my sirius install much. Glad to hear you got it setup.
Dealer did end up installing a tuner and a big white terk antenna in my boat under the deck but it's reception was weak.
My dealer's radio man was going to work on it to find a nice location underneath that would get good reception but I'm not confident since I have a tower.
I like the fact that you opted for the puck antenna and it's working for you! Have you had it out on the lake and had interference from the tower at all?
FWIW, the terk marine antenna instructions specifically state NOT to mount it to a tubing structure but to mount it somewhere on the vessel's extremeties for best reception.

WakePowell
04-26-2005, 12:19 AM
So far we have not had any interference from the tower. The only time we have had poor reception is when we get back into a canyon where the cliffs are 200’ plus high or when someone sits on the antenna by accident.

Ric
04-26-2005, 10:01 AM
when someone sits on the antenna by accident.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

jayocheskey
05-20-2005, 03:18 PM
So on the XMD3, it's not actually "sirius ready"? You have to first install an antenna? That is a pain in the butt.

Ric
05-20-2005, 03:46 PM
So on the XMD3, it's not actually "sirius ready"? You have to first install an antenna? That is a pain in the butt.
I kinda thought it was foolish too
you need a receiver and an antenna, not just an antenna.
Hey, an old friend of my dad's got him a new sea ray and they give you 2 years or something free when you buy the boat(including all the hardware). Now that's what I call sirius ready.

G-man
05-20-2005, 04:03 PM
I would like to meet the marketing person that came up with that term and the MC person that beleived him. I do have a sirius antenna and receiver new in box and ready if anybody is interested.

bucky
05-20-2005, 05:34 PM
I would like to meet the marketing person that came up with that term and the MC person that beleived him...

It's probably the same person that put "high definition ready" on my TV 3 years ago. No tuner, no antenna, and at the time, no one broadcasting in HD format.
On the matter of the antenna, the Sirius option on my jeep comes with an antenna mounted to the roll cage inside the hardtop. Since Sirius and XM are radio signals, they will pass through some materials, and should pass through fiberglass. Check to make sure the antenna isn't mounted under a thicker, reinforced area or any metal.
Also, I saw in my latest Crutchfield catalog that Pioneer now makes radios that will run both XM or Sirius tuners. I assume their contract with XM is expiring, and I hope the other stereo manufacturers will follow suit. Crutchfield have a selection of marine electronics, though I don't know if they have installation kits for boats like they do for just about any car.