PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

mcX2728
07-14-2006, 04:18 PM
Looking for a fuel pump for a '05 X2. Last weekend we ran it out of gas as we got on the trailor. We went out the next day , the boat started and got off the trailor then croaked. Texas Mastercraft says that the fuel pumps are on backorder. Does anyone know where we can find a fuel pump?

ptrainer
07-14-2006, 05:07 PM
Try Rambo Marine. Look for a thread that was started by DrJ about fuel pumps, I think it even has the phone number in there.

billr
07-14-2006, 05:27 PM
Website is www.rambomarine.com It will link you to the phone number. Ask for Lex in parts.

RobertT
07-14-2006, 11:27 PM
Man, I know I am throwing myself under a bus here, but I have ran my boat out of gas about twenty times in the last 15 months.

No issues yet.

Is it really a low gas issue?

When I do run out of gas, I don't screw around and try to start it again, or even turn on the key, I just get out my phone and/or paddle and start my trek.

My wife always has kind things to say to me when she has to come out with the pontoon boat at whatever time in the day or night to rescue me with a five gallon can.

I cant help it....just a few more minutes...

rektek
07-14-2006, 11:31 PM
someone pm me and send me a dead pump assembly, I'll find a source for the pumps and figure out a way to install them.

Jeff

mcX2728
07-15-2006, 03:50 PM
alright well thanks for the link to rambos. They had 2 left and we got one shipped over night. RobertT we were told that if you run the boat under 1/4 of a tank that it will burn the pump up. And thats what happened im guessing.

André
07-15-2006, 04:00 PM
... RobertT we were told that if you run the boat under 1/4 of a tank that it will burn the pump up. And thats what happened im guessing.
Who told you that?
That would be completely unacceptable from a Mastercraft...I read about a lot of failure when run dry but...

PendO
07-15-2006, 05:00 PM
alright well thanks for the link to rambos. They had 2 left and we got one shipped over night. RobertT we were told that if you run the boat under 1/4 of a tank that it will burn the pump up. And thats what happened im guessing.

imagine if GM, Ford, or Chrysler could just get away that easy ... hey, you ran your tank under 1/4, sorry:(

I hope that your dealer is just full of bs.

bigmac
07-15-2006, 05:40 PM
imagine if GM, Ford, or Chrysler could just get away that easy ... hey, you ran your tank under 1/4, sorry:(

I hope that your dealer is just full of bs.That issue keeps coming up - the fuel filter for the in-tank pump only filters the last 1/2 - 1/4 tank (depending on where the baffle is set). Run it much on that last amount of gas in the tank and you risk sucking the inevitable bottom-of-the-tank debris into the filter. If the filter gets clogged enough - no fuel flow to cool the pump's impeller and..well, you know what happens to an impeller without cooling...and apparently the impeller can't be replaced - ya gotta go for the whole $550 pump. BTW, that's only a 1 year warranty.

So the story goes...I don't know if it's accurate, but I heard it here on the internet, so it must be true.

PendO
07-15-2006, 05:45 PM
That issue keeps coming up - the fuel filter for the in-tank pump only filters the last 1/2 - 1/4 tank (depending on where the baffle is set). Run it much on that last amount of gas in the tank and you risk sucking the inevitable bottom-of-the-tank debris into the filter. If the filter gets clogged enough - no fuel flow to cool the pump's impeller and..well, you know what happens to an impeller without cooling...and apparently the impeller can't be replaced - ya gotta go for the whole $550 pump. BTW, that's only a 1 year warranty.

So the story goes...I don't know if it's accurate, but I heard it here on the internet, so it must be true.

Sounds like there is a market for "refurbished" fuel pumps

RobertT
07-15-2006, 06:34 PM
I have heard, from dealers on this board, that running the tank lower than 1/4 tank is essentially starting a stopwatch.

Although I trust their judgements, I can also say that I have pretty much lived below 1/4 tank since I bought my boat and I have had zero problems.

I am wondering if the problem is what the user does AFTER the tank runs out rather than the act of letting it get low.

I can see burning up an impeller dry by keeping the key on after the boat dies (thus trying to pressurize the line). But my experience is different than most about simply running low on fuel.

Tomorrow, my pump will go out I am sure, but I am just telling my experience.

JohnnyB
07-15-2006, 07:50 PM
someone pm me and send me a dead pump assembly, I'll find a source for the pumps and figure out a way to install them.

Jeff

I hope somebody will take Jeff up on this.....this would be valuable info. Judging by his profile, he's probably qualified...

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 08:07 PM

:uglyhamme ::shocked: :uglyhamme

I got a snow ski resort in Southern Florida I want to lease out for $3.12 a month!

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Sounds like there is a market for "refurbished" fuel pumps

And, a market for accurately informed Dealers!

Does anyone know what Mastercraft's position is on the information owners should live by to prevent burnt up fuel pump problems! I think there has to be a better way in the form of a better pump or some type of redesign and modification to the fuel system to cure this. Automobile owners don't suffer the same problems with the modern fuel injection engines, that require in tank fuel pumps.

PendO
07-15-2006, 08:33 PM
And, a market for accurately informed Dealers!

Does anyone know what Mastercraft's position is on the information owners should live by to prevent burnt up fuel pump problems! I think there has to be a better way in the form of a better pump or some type of redesign and modification to the fuel system to cure this. Automobile owners don't suffer the same problems with the modern fuel injection engines, that require in tank fuel pumps.

Do other Buoat manufactures have the same problems?

TMCNo1
07-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Do other Buoat manufactures have the same problems?

Never even crossed my mind, but would be interesting to find out! The others may be using a different design or something and have not had the problem.

mcX2728
07-15-2006, 09:56 PM
I decided to investigate a little further,so i took the module apart to look.It has a Carter fuel pump inside the module so I called my parts whse to cross the number but it doesnt interchange.This is also the way most automotive fuel pumps are these days
We tried this before on a Ford van at my shop one day with the same result.
I would bet that if other manufacturers would have the same problem if equipped with the same engine.

Farmer Ted
07-15-2006, 11:33 PM
I decided to investigate a little further,so i took the module apart to look.It has a Carter fuel pump inside the module so I called my parts whse to cross the number but it doesnt interchange.This is also the way most automotive fuel pumps are these days
We tried this before on a Ford van at my shop one day with the same result.
I would bet that if other manufacturers would have the same problem if equipped with the same engine.

it might have something to do with being Coast Guard "certified" or whatever special label the in-tank fuel pump carries.

seems to me the powers that be would address (or may already have) the problem with the supplier of the fuel tank assy or at least create a Fuel tank inspection station on the assembly line.

I could head up that department, I'd need at least my AF salary plus a company boat, an assistant, does MC have anything against Nepotism?
A reserved parking space at the office and company boat launch, wireless access so I could manage my division from the lake.

Hey I know it's alot but I'm a "get results, not excuses" kind of guy.