PDA

View Full Version : 79 Mastercraft Restoration

Old School
07-14-2006, 03:51 PM
I'm new to the site so pardon any mistakes. About a year ago I managed to acquire a 79 Mastercraft from a family member. The boat is in pretty good shape considering the age. Unfortunately I have been unable to get around to any necessary cosmetic work that I need to do because of my job. I am looking for someone that does good restoration work near Jacksonville, FL. Heck I don't mind a little job for someone that does good work. The boat is mechanically sound, but is a bit faded and the clear cost is pretty bad. I also have a little rot in the transom due to a leaking screw around the ski platform. It was a beautiful boat in its day and I would love to make it look new again. As soon as I get it back in the water, I can get rid of that darn Moomba I been settling for. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Old School

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 03:54 PM
I'd love to see some pictures. Oxidation can be tackled with some elbow grease and a good rubbing compound or wet sanding. As for the rot, that can be a little more expensive. Welcome!

Old School
07-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Have not taken any photos yet. I pulled the boat home and parked it in the garage. Its been sitting in there for a year. I should be home next week and will get some photos.

chudson
07-14-2006, 05:30 PM
I have heard that there is a special rubbing compound that should be used for the metal flake to help restore it, does anyone know?

chudson
07-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Also within the site here is "Maintainance Tips and Refurbishing" under Technical that may be helpful.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=12

JEREMY79
07-14-2006, 07:42 PM
Dude, I dont know anyone in Jacksonville, but I could probly help with some advice if you want to tackle it yourself.

Jeremy

kycat2007
07-14-2006, 07:49 PM
I think Jeremy knows where there is a body shop he could vouch for. Jeremy you have some dealings with that year boat correct?

;)

JEREMY79
07-15-2006, 12:35 PM
.... Jeremy you have some dealings with that year boat correct?

;)

um...yeah, I might have worked on one. Once or twice:D

Old School
07-15-2006, 02:47 PM
I may try and do it myself, but unfortunately I am out of town for work a lot and I am just starting to build a new home. I barely have time to use the toys that I already have in working shape, I have less time to work on a this one. My dad is a retired auto body guy. He and I could fix it up, but we have been talking about if for a year and its still parked in the garage. Heck all it really needs is water pump and I could use it. Most of what needs to be done is cosmetic. The interior was replaced recently so I really don’t need it replaced. I plan to sell my other ski boat and do not mind spending a little money for someone else’s labor if they do good work.

Thanks,

Old School

JEREMY79
07-16-2006, 11:36 AM
pay your dad. You will never find anyone else that you trust as much.

SkiDog
07-16-2006, 12:13 PM
You need to contact yellow78 MC. This guy has a boat that will amaze you. Looks NOTHING like it did when he started. But I think that if you can talk to this guy, you'll find that he can help you with ANYTHING about your boat! He lives not tooo far from you in Agusta, Ga.

JEREMY79
07-16-2006, 11:57 PM
there is not a screw or bolt on a 79 that I have not turned myslef. Hell, I turned most of them more than once. There is a few here that can vouch for my boat. I can help you with just about anything. PM if you want my # for help.

Jeremy

chudson
07-17-2006, 10:00 AM
Also there is this website that could help.
http://www.skiboathelp.com/
Under "Technical Articles".