PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Removal

Jwhitsett1129
07-14-2006, 02:01 PM
How big of a chore is it to pull the gas tank from a PS 190? Just had my carb rebuilt and the report was that there was a lot of build up. I would like to pull the tank and clean it, or even replace it. How much does a new tank run??

kpickett
07-14-2006, 02:13 PM
I've got a '94. It's not that big of a deal. I pulled mine out at least four times. It was kind of stupid of me. My fuel sender unit wasn't working, so I pulled it to clean and repair. Then it didn't work, and I pulled it to replace it. Then I had to replace the hot shower line, so I pulled it again. I pulled it one other time, too. Just undo the screws to the brackets, loosen the lines, if you're removing them, and slide it out. SkiDIM has new tanks.

Jwhitsett1129
07-14-2006, 02:17 PM
I should have asked this in the original post...any recommendations as to what to use to clean the tank?

Thanks!

oxberger
07-14-2006, 02:27 PM
I'm not sure what year yours is, but I have an '84 ss. I went to the auto parts store, on the advice from my mechanic, and bought a gallon of parts cleaner. After emptying the old gas, I poured the parts cleaner in and sloshed it around some, then let it sit for a couple days, sloshing it around occasionally. After emptying the parts cleaner it was just like a brand new tank.

Jwhitsett1129
07-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Did you rinse the tank emphatically after you drained the cleaner? I would think you would want to make sure all of the cleaner residue was out of the tank...

Thanks

Kevin 89MC
07-19-2006, 02:19 PM
As far as pulling the tank, it's pretty easy. remove the 2 brackets, fill hose & overflow hose, and it should slide right out. I pulled mine when it was about 1/2 full, and it wasn't too hard. I didn't actually lift it out, just slid it out to replace the sender.
Good luck,
Kevin

JimN
07-19-2006, 02:55 PM
What kind of buildup was it? It's not hard to remove the tank, just drain it first. If it's plastic, there's no need to replace it. Don't use acetone but parts cleaner should work. If there's a bunch of sediment in theere, get that out before doing anything else.