PDA

View Full Version : CO poisin!!

6ballsisall
07-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Hey all with temp courses be careful! We were setting up our temp course last night using my X7 and boy did I ever get CO poisined!!! Today I still feel sick and have a slight headache. You are so excited to ski and standing on the platform laying out pieces of the course you don't really think about it but it doesn't long for the fumes to mess with you. Be careful!!

sanjuan23
07-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Might explain the "poison" spelling:

6ballsisall
07-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Might explain the "poison" spelling:

I blame the CO on that ;)

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 02:14 PM
Get better, brutha. I haven't gotten mine wet yet, but I was wondering what to do to avoid it.

#47of100TeamMC
07-14-2006, 02:16 PM
yeah I don't suppose running the blower helps when your standing on the platform since the exhaust for the blower is right there too. We always have the blower on until we go above idle. But that might actually make it worse in theory!

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 03:02 PM
I guess one of those paint masks with the filter wouldn't be out of the question.

ski_king
07-14-2006, 03:06 PM
I have done the same many times and must have been lucky to have a breeze blowing the CO away.
I was going to suggest only running the engine when you need to advance, but realize that would be close to impossible.

I dont think a mask would help as the CO will go right thru. A SCUBA or SCBA would work, but would be over kill (poor choice of words).

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 03:12 PM
I guess you could stand in the back of the boat instead of the platform. I realize the CO is bad there, too, but it is surely slightly better.

We have a battery powered box fan that we keep in my father-in-law's boat for the little one. It puts up quite a breeze. I may employ it when we put out our course.

mpmartin
07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I had a friend die of CO poisoning in a aircraft. I think untill we come up with a good answer with what to do with the CO we need to look at some type of Alarm in or on the boat some where.

martini
www.freshairexhaust.com

This guy is out of Austin and has developed(created) a nice little system that eliminates most of this. My buddy picked one up yesterday and we were testing it on his boat. I can tell you it absolutely works. The noise reduction alone is worth installing the part, not to mention the CO issue being completely resolved. I was very surprised that it worked so well with no real performance problems. Very cool little part.

martini

mpmartin
07-14-2006, 03:35 PM
I have look at this part. I understand the noise part, but I don,t understand how running CO underwater changes anything? {Have you ever farted in the bathtub?}

martini
07-14-2006, 04:38 PM
The part was initially developed for wake surfing, where you are riding close to the boat. The exhaust is pushed further back and dissipated throughout the water because it is in the prop wash. If you are underway , even at idle speed, the exhaust doesn't surface until it is well away from the boat. Make sense?

Workin' 4 Toys
07-14-2006, 04:41 PM
I guess one of those paint masks with the filter wouldn't be out of the question.
Won't filter out CO....

How about shutting the motor off..........:rolleyes:
Or just run some 110 octane and enjoy the fumes......:D Although this may cause some issues while running, it would certainly "smell" better......

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Won't filter out CO....

How about shutting the motor off..........:rolleyes:
Or just run some 110 octane and enjoy the fumes......:D Although this may cause some issues while running, it would certainly "smell" better......

Oh well, worth a gander. The way I understand it, when putting out a portable course, you want to keep the line somewhat tight as you go, which is why the driver is keeping things moving except when the pvc arms are being installed.

I guess if you had a skilled driver you could drop the course off the front and he could back the boat up 900'.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-14-2006, 05:20 PM
how bout using a small fishing boat with an eletric motor? or just clamping an electric motor on your swim deck for the installation?

6ballsisall
07-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Oh well, worth a gander. The way I understand it, when putting out a portable course, you want to keep the line somewhat tight as you go, which is why the driver is keeping things moving except when the pvc arms are being installed.

I guess if you had a skilled driver you could drop the course off the front and he could back the boat up 900'.

TRU DAT about keeping the boat going forward. If you are skilled, and most times we are, you can set a temp course out in less than 1/2 hour. We had it out in that time but had some "fixin" to do. I still have a sore throat and a slight headache now 24 hours after the incident.

6ballsisall
07-14-2006, 05:22 PM
how bout using a small fishing boat with an eletric motor? or just clamping an electric motor on your swim deck for the installation?

YOu need more giddyup then a electric motor to pull that course taught.

mpmartin
07-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Yes we talked about that on the Engine today. It may work. Do you know if they did any testing of the CO levels? We have a hand held detector that we use on the Engine.

Leroy
07-14-2006, 09:11 PM
I would be on bow to this person!!!

ski_king
07-14-2006, 09:41 PM
YOu need more giddyup then a electric motor to pull that course taught.
But dont use too much power pulling it tight or you will collapse the tubes.
Don't ask me how I know.

6ballsisall
07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
But dont use too much power pulling it tight or you will collapse the tubes.
Don't ask me how I know.

A voice of experience I think?

We find just dropping the boat in gear and pulling at idle is more than enough to set the anchors well.

nroland
07-14-2006, 10:14 PM
maybe a silly question, but we have always used an old pontoon to put the course in ... where do you put the spool of rope? we were always afraid that with the PVC pipes and ropes that we would tear something inside the boat (carpet, vinal, etc).

6ballsisall
07-14-2006, 10:21 PM
maybe a silly question, but we have always used an old pontoon to put the course in ... where do you put the spool of rope? we were always afraid that with the PVC pipes and ropes that we would tear something inside the boat (carpet, vinal, etc).

Spool of rope sits on the teak platform and is unwound there. I was nervous about poles tearing seats. A big packing blanket solves that worry. ;)

nroland
07-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the info ... we would like to use our 197 to put the course in as the pontoon works .... but doesn't steer worth a crap.

MasterCrafting
07-14-2006, 10:36 PM
You still dont have your course in yet? the seasons half over! come on Eastie

ski_king
07-14-2006, 10:46 PM
A voice of experience I think?

We find just dropping the boat in gear and pulling at idle is more than enough to set the anchors well.
River current put a bow in the course, we were trying to straighten it out. Was almost straight when half of the boat guides came together. Center tubes collapsed...........