PDA

View Full Version : Most Skiers behind a boat?

Hoff1
07-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Is this like a record or something? Anybody know what the Guiness Book record is?

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Man, I've been looking for that picture forever. Awesome. What was the name of that MC?

blackbeauty02
07-14-2006, 01:27 PM
***? how the hell did they get up? that is crazy. i think that's the new x-star 1000

jbfootin
07-14-2006, 01:53 PM
It is definatly a late model with the "pickle fork" front:rolleyes:

jbfootin
07-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Are those BI Barefoot booms? They look like they might have the extension on them!

Rixter_69
07-14-2006, 02:02 PM
Is this like a record or something? Anybody know what the Guiness Book record is?

I believe that there were 101 skiers behind the boat. Water Ski Mag www.waterskimag.com, did a pretty good write up on the record which I believe was completed in 01 or 02.

Now how's that for a barefoot boom?

Cheers,

Sodar
07-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Man, I've been looking for that picture forever. Awesome. What was the name of that MC?

That is actually an InCat Design Ferry... the only reason I know is because I used to crew on one!

nroland
07-14-2006, 09:30 PM
Could you imagine wakeboarding behind that thing - - check out that rooster tail :D

milkmania
07-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Are those BI Barefoot booms? They look like they might have the extension on them!

looks like a crew is out there on them too:eek:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Very cool! Neat how the skiers directly behind the boat are farther back to compensate for hte wake. Where's the pylon, or tower?8p ;)

billr
07-15-2006, 10:59 AM
The skiers in the back are on longer lines to allow enough room for the front skiers . After they all get up, the front skiers fan out and leave space for the long line skiers. I think I'd be looking real hard at that trailing boat ( rescue maybe? ) than in front.

Kevin 89MC
07-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Wow, that's intense! Would have been fun to be a part of, as long as no one got hurt! I bet getting up was the hardest/riskiest part.

Ramhouse
07-16-2006, 02:15 PM
It's in my '95 Guinness book. World record of 100 skiers, towed over a nautical mile by the cruiser Reef Cat ay Cairus, Australia on Oct. 18, 1986.

atlfootr
07-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Wow, that's intense! Would have been fun to be a part of, as long as no one got hurt! I bet getting up was the hardest/riskiest part.I wonder how many try's it took, to get 'em ALL UP and then skiing together :purplaugh

atlfootr
07-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Is this like a record or something? Anybody know what the Guiness Book record is?It took me awhile, after a magnification of 1723 x 1075 I counted how many ppl are skiing.

Rt Side 36
Lft Side 43
Rear Row 20

Total 99

PS. I may of missed one .... :rolleyes:

skitilldark
07-18-2006, 03:15 PM
Just imagine if you were that ONE dude who fell.

pilot02
07-18-2006, 03:47 PM
How would you like to be one of the guys standing on the booms??

Foiler
07-18-2006, 04:15 PM
I wonder what the HP is on that boat is?
That would be a great deal of drag just trying to get everyone up.

Pretty impressive

dbfooter
04-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Hi Guys.

Check out www.skirecord.com

This has beeen a 25 year dream.

dbfooter
04-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Check out www.skirecord.com for the new World Record of 114

The culmination of a 25 year dream.

atlfootr
04-08-2010, 09:30 PM
World Water Ski Record Number of Skiers Behind One Boat

New World Record 114 Water-skiers!
On Sunday 28th March 2010 Eagle pulled 116 skiers from the deep and 114 made the full nautical mile distance - SMASHING the old record of 100 skiers behind one boat. When you visit Strahan, ask for the RED boat; make sure you ride on the RED boat so you can see all about our record and talk to the crew!

http://www.skirecord.com/media/114%20Skiers%20World%20Record%20Mark%20Seaton.jpg

Thanks dbfooter for finding the link .. now imagine if they were all barefoot'n!

thatsmrmastercraft
04-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Too bad they couldn't find a really wide jump. :D

MC X-15
04-22-2010, 09:55 AM
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2942326/Water-ski-record-is-smashed.html

114 people.

Age Fighter
04-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Wow, that's amazing. I wonder how rough it was in the wash -- and how big the rollers were for those few unfortunates on each side skiing in those. I guess you would just pick a spot on the roll and hang on.

And hey, now we know what we can do with the big new MC introduced last year!!

broncotw
04-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Holy Cow!!! Amazing!!!

Gixxer
04-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I would love to be apart of that. We should get people from the forum together behind a 300 supplied by MC. It would be great to set a world record like that with MC. It would be easy with all the people and kids on here. I would totally show up!!

shepherd
04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I would love to be apart of that. We should get people from the forum together behind a 300 supplied by MC. It would be great to set a world record like that with MC. It would be easy with all the people and kids on here. I would totally show up!!

I'd do it, but we may need something bigger than a MC 300.

Willski
04-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Pretty cool. I wonder what speed that thing was running?

jdl xstar
04-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Was discussed here a couple weeks ago...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10301&highlight=record&page=3

Age Fighter
04-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I'd do it, but we may need something bigger than a MC 300.

I wonder what it would take to pull that many skiers? Certainly that boat was overkill I think.

Skipper
04-22-2010, 08:20 PM
When I was in high school, I participated in a pull of 89 skiers behind a tour boat on Lake Powell. I worked on boats at the rental dock. Many of the skiers were employees, a bunch were local town folk, and some were guests at the resort. We tried it once before but had to abort because people were getting lacerations from the fins. Then we had to get insurance from Lloyds of London and put duct tape over the fins. It was a blast.57353

ghind
04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Skipper, we've been looking for somebody from your ski team - could you please provide photos, videos, news paper clippings, information and/or a story for our web site www.skirecord.com Would you please PM me your phone number/email address?

DBFooter is the man who started this dream and kept everybody motivated all the way through. David also had a huge technical and labour input.

I would love to see how many skiers you could get up behind a MC300.

We needed every trick in the book and plenty that aren't in the book to get 116 skiers out of the water behind the Eagle. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Lwn9jPo-0

If you have any photos from previous attempts or any information or contacts from past teams, please PM me

Greg

ghind
08-22-2010, 07:11 AM
A new video was released today by the ski team. This video was shot from the back of Eagle. The power was already on when the video started and it took another 85 seconds (1.5 minutes!) to make enough power to pull the skiers out. The video also shows how rough it was, it was far from perfect, how difficult it is to stand up in tight conditions and how fast the team recovered 124 skiers from the water. It was done in less time than it takes Tina Turner to sing "The Best"

See www.skirecord.com for the video.

If you've ever attempted this record, please send me any photos or video you may have.

Greg

sortloff
09-20-2010, 02:58 PM
This isn't the MOST up behind a boat, but it is fun to watch a 1981 PowerSlot yank 10 slalom skiers out of the water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzqD8Uoz_vk

DooSPX
09-20-2010, 03:05 PM
My boat has pulled a three pier pyramid in 92....
but thats nothing compared to today.

ski_king
09-20-2010, 03:22 PM
This isn't the MOST up behind a boat, but it is fun to watch a 1981 PowerSlot yank 10 slalom skiers out of the water!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzqD8Uoz_vk

Nice! Was that recent? It would be nice to know a 29 year old boat did that. Also, interesting that all ropes were connected to the pylon.

I liked how they were pulled up while turning, technically they all didn't get up at the same time reducingthe amount of power required. Nice!!

sortloff
09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Nice! Was that recent? It would be nice to know a 29 year old boat did that. Also, interesting that all ropes were connected to the pylon.

I liked how they were pulled up while turning, technically they all didn't get up at the same time reducingthe amount of power required. Nice!!

This was taken August 2008 here in Oklahoma. We pulled up 9 this summer with a '05 197. (would have done more, but we ran out of skiers)

I always figured that the boat would stall before that pylon would fail.

russlars
09-20-2010, 05:07 PM
This baits the question as to how many you could safely pull up attached to a single pylon? Has anyone ever heard of a pylon failure from pulling too much?

Skipper
09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
For our annual ski shows, one guy used to put a high tension ratchet strap from the bow eye to the ski pylon to support the extra weight of six to ten skiers at once.

ghind
09-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Nice video! I'm really impressed. They look like they were pulled up with grunt and driving technique and not skier technique. How many of them dragged their rear leg?

We've busted plenty of pylons. With a solid pylon, usually you break the mounting points. Repetitive strain is just as bad as a single big pull. Often it will survive the big pull, but loosen up and then it moves around just pulling a single slalom skier.

For a big pull, it is a good idea to brace the pylon forwards to the nose like a high pole.

I use a very strong rope with a little stretch in it so the pylon does some work and the rope does some.

I'd be disappointed with a newer mastercraft if you could damage the pole/mounts from any kind of tight rope, straight drag start. Circle starts are much harder on them and slack rope is hard on them too.

Anybody else got a video of a local lake record?

Greg

2gnospam
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
I remember seeing a shot of a record of most number of people pulled (but not started) behind a big block ski boat about 20 years ago in Waterski. Can't find anything about it. Anyone remember this? Seems like it was about 40 people. Skiers started from other boats and were handed off.

rgardjr1
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I thought this thread made it back up because of the 145 skiers they pulled up yesterday in Australia. I saw it on the news this morning:
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/01/31/gotta-watch-massive-world-records/

jafo9
01-31-2012, 02:28 PM
pretty impressive.

thatsmrmastercraft
01-31-2012, 04:51 PM
I remember seeing a shot of a record of most number of people pulled (but not started) behind a big block ski boat about 20 years ago in Waterski. Can't find anything about it. Anyone remember this? Seems like it was about 40 people. Skiers started from other boats and were handed off.

Did this as kids with the family 1960 Alumacraft with a 75 hp Johnson. Started with three, added 4 more till the engine started to get hot. We had people on trick skis, two slalom skis as well as all the combo skis we had. This would have been about 1978.

jhall0711
01-31-2012, 06:31 PM
Definitely a PowerSlot....

ghind
01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
Here is the official team video of the 145 skier run

There is also heaps more up there, search for 145 skiers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07iVyfX5snk

I think the big block stunt in waterski magazine must have been lots more than just 20 years ago. Back in 1986, the record was 100 which was pulled from the deep by one boat. The record prior was 80 and fifty something before that. All details in the history section of www.skirecord.com

I'd love to put more history stuff up there if you have it please let me know.

Greg

captain planet
02-01-2012, 09:35 AM
That is truly impressive and I imagine harder than it looked. Those skiiers had to drag for a while at speeds that were nowhere close to being fast enough to stand up.

I know what it is like to coordinate 3, 7-10 year olds to kneeboard behind my boat. Imagine the coordination of all the lines and people and the contingency planning when people fall. Also, getting 290 skis on those people and getting them in the water. The real video would be all of that up to the moment they took off.

ghind
02-01-2012, 04:43 PM
We started with 154 skiers and yes the hardest part was everything that had to be done before the skiers hit the water. The drag itself took 25 seconds. When Eagle's turbos kicked in and the boat lifted out of the water, it came out so strong that one of the tech guys on the boat looked up from what he was doing to see if the skiers were still there!

The actual ski run was harder than it looked in the videos and the smiles and hand waving was all done after the nautical mile was over. Falling and missing out on a record you've trained hard for is not a nice feeling.

Believe me it was far from a matter of turning up on the day to ski the record. Every helper and every single skier put in a lot of time beforehand in preperation.

There was about 15,000 man hours in getting to that point. We started off with a simple question - "How hard can it be"!!

Greg

captain planet
02-01-2012, 04:46 PM
We started with 154 skiers and yes the hardest part was everything that had to be done before the skiers hit the water. The drag itself took 25 seconds. When Eagle's turbos kicked in and the boat lifted out of the water, it came out so strong that one of the tech guys on the boat looked up from what he was doing to see if the skiers were still there!

The actual ski run was harder than it looked in the videos and the smiles and hand waving was all done after the nautical mile was over. Falling and missing out on a record you've trained hard for is not a nice feeling.

Believe me it was far from a matter of turning up on the day to ski the record. Every helper and every single skier put in a lot of time beforehand in preperation.

There was about 15,000 man hours in getting to that point. We started off with a simple question - "How hard can it be"!!

Greg

Well Greg, I know you can't see me in Ohio, but you are getting a standing ovation from me on this one. Truly a fantastic accomplishment.

ghind
02-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Thanks Captain Planet. If you are ever in Australia, look me up. Even if you are nowhere nearby I can probably suggest some people to take you for a ski.

The 114 skier run start was harder as the boat only had a fraction of the grunt back then
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Lwn9jPo-0

It took 100 seconds from when full power was applied to when the last skier got out of the water. Now that is a drag!

The 100 skier Cairns 1986 record is also very interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7jnfTQ_cqc

What a ride. I can't believe we are retired!

I suppose we'll get time now to find out how many skiers my 225HO E-TEC can pull!

I hope somebody has a go at beating us one day so we can go and watch.

Greg

vrsc
02-03-2012, 07:23 AM
impressive. Congrats

shepherd
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I hope somebody has a go at beating us one day so we can go and watch.

Greg

Great job and congrats! I'd like to see somebody try to beat and I'd like to be a part of it. You going to organize this CP? :)

It looked like everyone was using the same ski? What type of skis were they and who supplied them?

captain planet
02-03-2012, 12:32 PM
Great job and congrats!* I'd like to see somebody try to beat and I'd like to be a part of it.* You going to organize this CP?* :)It looked like everyone was using the same ski?* What type of skis were they and who supplied them?I'm having a hard enough time finding the time to put together a ski club on my lake, let alone getting 160 of my closest friends to ski all at one time.* I suppose we could see about getting this together on one of the boats that run between Cleveland and Put-in-Bay.* I'll bet everyone had to have the same type of ski for the record to be validated/verified.* Just a guess though.*

thatsmrmastercraft
02-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Very impressive. That was some serious shoulder to shoulder work.

zamboniman
02-03-2012, 02:38 PM
sucks being the people stuck where the wake peaks.

ghind
02-03-2012, 07:51 PM
sucks being the people stuck where the wake peaks.

Believe me, every spot has its challenges. No spots sucked. This experience was incredible. The harder the location, the more pleased you are when the run is done.

The type of ski doesn't matter to the record keepers.

Greg

thatsmrmastercraft
02-03-2012, 07:56 PM
What a blast that must have been.:cool: