PDA

View Full Version : Painting a trailer fender?

Kevin 89MC
07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I just saw that fender on ebay, that is the one I need after a neighbor crashed into my parked boat last year. I was going to try and repair my fender, but it's cracked pretty bad around the taillight. The one on ebay is red, mine is gray, that's the only thing holding me back (well, it also will depend on what the shipping charges are too). Will I be able to lightly sand the surface and spray on some enamel paint (that I have for misc. touch-ups)? Or will I have to take all the red off? Were they originally painted from the factory, or did they use something else (gelcoat, etc?)
Thanks,
Kevin

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 11:52 AM
I recall reading on here in the past that they could be painted.

BriEOD
07-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Another option and something I have been seriously considering doing, is have Line-X sprayed all over the fenders. It is twofold, a) it looks sharp and b) it is a non slip surface. You could probably get both fenders sprayed for 50-100$. It's just a thought.

TMCNo1
07-14-2006, 03:40 PM
The original finish on a MC fender is gelcoat!
They can be painted, but I would suggest sanding as you would any auto finish, apply some type primer, sand with fine sandpaper then paint the desired color. The primer will/should block any color bleed through depending on the base color.
Any good Corvette/boat fiberglass bodyman should be able to repair the fender to near perfect and repaint it to a matching color. Consider painting the other good fender so both will match, just in case there is a slight color difference. OR, get a good replacement fender, repair the damaged one at your leisure, keep it as a spare and you will then have an extra as selling point if you ever sell the boat

Sodar
07-14-2006, 06:30 PM
I painted my fenders... click on my photo icon and you can see how they look. Actually, the painted fiberglass has held up better to rock chips than the steel... which is opposite of what I thought would happen!

billr
07-14-2006, 07:00 PM
Nice photos. What was the deal with the triple axle ??