PDA

View Full Version : State waterskiing laws

Crash
07-14-2006, 12:43 AM
For out-of-state travelers and for the FAQ, lets put together a quick reference list of state laws. I'll combine all the reply's for the FAQ.

IL - No flag required - Spotter required (some lakes spotter must be 15 yrs. old)
AR - No flag required - No Spotter required if mirror.

tex
07-14-2006, 12:48 AM
TX-No spotter, Mirror required w/no spotter
Flag-Lake to lake

MarkP
07-14-2006, 12:52 AM
While your on the subject,
Iíll be in NC next week.
Flag?? No flag??

Crash
07-14-2006, 12:56 AM
I'm heading to WI and KY which prompted my question...HEY, what about PA?

MarkP
07-14-2006, 01:00 AM
No flag but you do need the spotter in PA..

MarkP
07-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Oh,
And I can understand KY but WI??
I try to go south..

MarkP
07-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Maybe that didnít come out right..
I can understand KY but WI??

Sounded the same that time..

NeilM
07-14-2006, 01:05 AM
Here's the list for the USA... see table 2.6 and 2.7

Crash
07-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Its still warm in WI in July, going to friends cabin on lake Sherwood (anyone with a slalom course there?). That is why we're going to KY later in the summer...warm calm water :banana:

MarkP
07-14-2006, 01:12 AM
Here's the list for the USA... see table 2.6 and 2.7Thread Killer!!

Oh, thanks too..

Willski
07-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Does anyone know what competent spotter means? I have young children 2 & 4 and my wife and I like to ski, but I would imaging that the kids don't count as spotters, although my 4 year old can definitely tell me when someone falls. I don't know if I could convince the Illinois DNR officers this! Is there some implied age when someone becomes "competent"? I don't know if I've reached it yet!

MarkP
07-14-2006, 01:17 AM
Its still warm in WI in July, going to friends cabin on lake Sherwood (anyone with a slalom course there?). That is why we're going to KY later in the summer...warm calm water :banana:
HeII
Iím in the south compared to you and it just this week warmed up..
(crappy year for us weather wise)

MarkP
07-14-2006, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know what competent spotter means? I have young children 2 & 4 and my wife and I like to ski, but I would imaging that the kids don't count as spotters, although my 4 year old can definitely tell me when someone falls. I don't know if I could convince the Illinois DNR officers this! Is there some implied age when someone becomes "competent"? I don't know if I've reached it yet!
I forget what PA says about that but I think I do remember that my 10 year old is not old enough, (I use her anyway) but I think anything younger would really be pushing it..

NeilM
07-14-2006, 01:21 AM
In Canada, a flag is not required. An observer is. A mirror is optional :eek: . No skiing after dark/before dawn; no self propelled ski tow vehicles.

NeilM
07-14-2006, 01:23 AM
Thread Killer!!

Sorry, man...

MarkP
07-14-2006, 01:33 AM
LOLí
Iím ok with it,;) .. Good info, thanks. Answered my questions..
Hi Neil, :wavey: ..

rodltg2
07-14-2006, 01:34 AM
good info for 6ballsports.com thanks!

Crash
07-14-2006, 01:36 AM

According to the chart NeilM posted it sounds like 10 is old enough. We were stopped on Fox River a couple years ago and they said my kids (8 & 5) weren't old enough "competent", however on Crystal Lake, the authorities definition of "competent" is anyone that can see and yell "down". I know that doesn't answer your question...sorry.

Crash
07-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Just ANOTHER reason I love this website! Thanks NeilM.

Hoff1
07-14-2006, 08:59 AM
I noticed the chart for Kentucky isn't correct technically. You need either a mirror or an observer, but not both. Here is the text from the 2006 Kentucky Sport Fishing and Boating Guide.
http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/fishboat06b.asp#WATER-SKIING

"Persons being towed on any device must wear a Type I, II or III
PFD. Boats (including personal watercraft) towing skiers must
have, in addition to the operator of the boat, an observer 12
years of age or older or a wide angle rearview mirror mounted
so that the operator can check on the skier but still give full
attention to traffic ahead. There must be adequate seating for
all riders."

atlfootr
07-14-2006, 09:04 AM
For out-of-state travelers and for the FAQ, lets put together a quick reference list of state laws.Nice avatar, Crash :cool:

atlfootr
07-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Does anyone know what competent spotter means? I have young children 2 & 4 and my wife and I like to ski, but I would imaging that the kids don't count as spotters.I once used my boy "Chaz" as a spotter.
Taught 'em to bark, whenever we dropped or caught a toe barefoot'n.

#47of100TeamMC
07-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Thread Killer!!

Oh, thanks too..

Mark, don't get discouraged... there still might be work to do... Either that chart is outdated or just confusing, cuz in MN you don't need a spotter if you have a Mirror, and it says "yes" under both categories?!?

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/boatwater/boatingguide.pdf

Check out Page 36 of the 2006 boating regulations for MN.

Hoff1
07-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Maybe the chart should have some more descriptors between the columns like "AND" & "OR".

TMCNo1
07-14-2006, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the link, very interesting!

billr
07-14-2006, 09:52 AM
The table listed above does not comply with the booklet provided by the marine police. Alabama no spotter, only mirror.

Crash
07-14-2006, 11:40 AM
So maybe this thread is still applicable?

bigmac
07-14-2006, 12:14 PM

It's inaccurate, or at least misleading. It states that an observer is required in Minnesota, which is incorrect.

parks_jr_55
07-14-2006, 12:19 PM

Lake Sherwood is about 15 min. South of me. I have only been on it twice though.
In WI a spotter and no flag is needed.

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 12:43 PM
TX-No spotter, Mirror required w/no spotter
Flag-Lake to lake
1 PFD for each person in the boat and 1 throwable. Skier counts as someone in the boat, but there is no requirement that the skier wear a PFD.

atlfootr
07-15-2006, 08:46 AM
For out-of-state travelers and for the FAQ, lets put together a quick reference list of state laws.

FLA - MIRROR ONLY ! No flag / NO Spotter required
GA - MIRROR ONLY ! No flag / NO Spotter required :firejump:

:steering:

gr8smiles
07-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Tennessee:

Mirror only
Spotter if no mirror
Driver must be 12 or older
Lifejackets required at ALL times for anyone 12 and under
(which means that if you are 12, you can drive your Dad, but you better keep that PFD on)
Must have an approved PFD and one cushion per boat (excluding PWC)

If one was born after 1/1/91, he or she must pass a TWRA (Tn Wildlife Resources Agency) course (pretty tough one) and possess on their person the liscense they obtained from the course in order to operate a boat of PWC.....a great law IMO cause all my daughter's friends can only ride the Sea-Doo....not crash it in the boat!

This means that eventually ALL Tn boaters will have to have a liscence...but that means we have to die off 1st...:(

bigmac
07-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Minnesota

no spotter required
no flags required
mirror to provide "wide field of vision" required if no spotter
one life jacket per person (+ one throwable on boats larger than 16 feet)
skier doesn't need life jacket, but must have one in the boat
rope no longer than 150 feet (unless you get a permit from sheriff)
sking from sunrise to 1 hour after sunset
must stay 150 feet from shore and from other boats
operators under 12 can drive a boat less than 70 hp with adult in the boat
operators under 12 can drive a boat less than 25 hp without restriction

gr8smiles
07-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Minnesota

no spotter required
no flags required
mirror to provide "wide field of vision" required if no spotter
one life jacket per person (+ one throwable on boats larger than 16 feet)
skier doesn't need life jacket, but must have one in the boat
rope no longer than 150 feet (unless you get a permit from sheriff)
sking from sunrise to 1 hour after sunset
must stay 150 feet from shore and from other boats
operators under 12 can drive a boat less than 70 hp with adult in the boat
operators under 12 can drive a boat less than 25 hp without restriction

That's sweet....in Tn, skiing is sunrise to sunset....great water after sunset (if you know what I mean..:D )

150 feet of rope....hhhmmmm
May have to try that on the foil today....that could be sweet....
Under 12....so my 5 yo nephew could ski me....:rolleyes:

thijs
07-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Geez,
I guess it might have been a problem if I was caught at age 10 or 11 driving and my 8 year old sister spotting for my mom???!!! Laws are changing here requiring boat operator licences. I am currently grandfathered into not having to have a licence at my age right now for boats over, I think 16'. (As I have no licence I can't borrow a buddies 12' Aluminum fishing boat with 9hp motor, but our 285hp PS205 is okay???!!!!)

I think this is to combat yahoo's on PWC's killing everone out here.

bigmac
07-15-2006, 01:36 PM
That's sweet....in Tn, skiing is sunrise to sunset....great water after sunset That's great skiing time, I agree. Glass water, orange sunset, loons calling (mosquitos biting). It does get a little dark toward the end, the tower lights on my buddy's X-10 are very functional for foiling at that time, and it can make for an eerie, almost religious experience...:D

150 feet of rope....hhhmmmm
May have to try that on the foil today....that could be sweet....Well, you could go longer - the permits for that kind of stuff from the Sheriff's Dept are virtually automatic. Their policy (same for slalom courses-which also require a permit) is to issue the permit and see if there are any complaints later.

Under 12....so my 5 yo nephew could ski me....:rolleyes:I suppose, as long as he's pulling you with a boat under 25 hp and has a mirror. :)

Actually, I don't know if under-12's can pull anyone. It's not addressed in the boating guide. Probably doesn't come up much, although I have visions of 5 and 6 year-olds pulling each other on tubes behind the fishing boat...hmmmm

billr
07-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Alabama has a boat license law, but it does not apply to rentals. The rental place is supposed to instruct riders or drivers, but the common question is "Have you ever ridden ( or driven ) one of these before?"

gr8smiles
07-15-2006, 04:52 PM
I had my son pull me regularly when he was 9-10. We would have other men in the boat, but by that time, he was such a good wakeboarder and driver that the other men just stared i awe when he would pull me. I have found that raising kids on the lake is a fantastic maturing process. Our marina manager routinely tells my son and many of the new boat owners that need driving and docking lessons from Sully. He may be a better driver than I....but we won't tell him that.

The funniest part was when we would have company up to the lake and I would get ready to ski/board and Sully would jump in the driver's seat. the company would just look at me like I was crazy.

And Dr. Mac....foiling is a religious experience. I'v had three great 30 minute runs this weekend. Last nite, I rode about 10 miles to another dock at dusk for dinner. Today, another 30 minutes or so. I am now jumoing at the wake as hard as I can dare....my foil is at least 5-6 feet out of the water....I just look down at the boat and smile......wooohhooo

Back at the cabin for lunch and nap :banana:

More foiling to come....

thijs
07-16-2006, 11:05 AM
The funniest part was when we would have company up to the lake and I would get ready to ski/board and Sully would jump in the driver's seat. the company would just look at me like I was crazy.

Don't count kids out because of age. There are a lot of kids out there who are better boat drivers than older people. It just comes down to experience.

I have been operating a boat for over fifteen years and I am only 25 now!! (I have only been drving cars for 9 years).

Thijs

thijs
07-16-2006, 11:09 AM

Made me laugh out loud! But what is even funnier is having the kid dock or trailer perfectly amongst 100 other people doing 'stupid people tricks'.