PDA

View Full Version : Houseboating Lake Powell

Mattercraft
07-13-2006, 01:20 PM
We are going to powell next month for the first time. Can anyone recommend some good places to camp, board, party?

Mattercraft
07-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Oh yeah, we are going out of Wahweap Marina and will probably stay in the south part of the lake.

Evan Jones
07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
We went out of Wahweap last year. Three boats, 20 people. Plus two ski boats and three jetskis. We went up to Gunsight canyon and anchored there for three days. Great spot. Next month 12 of us are going back, but this time going out of Bullfrog Marina up North. One boat plus the toys. We'll be there Aug 23-26.

WakePowell
07-13-2006, 02:20 PM
We houseboat out of Bullfrog but have traveled to the south end of the lake. Between Dangling Rope Marina and Wahweap there tends to be more people. If you have the time and are looking for smoother water I suggest going up the San Juan arm. You should also take time to explore the Escalante Canyon if you want to venture further north.

Make sure you don't tow your boat behind the houseboat through the "narrows" just outside Wahweap. There have been numerous boats sunk there this year from the rough water. Here is a Malibu that did not make it.

SkiDog
07-13-2006, 02:22 PM
We houseboat out of Bullfrog but have traveled to the south end of the lake. Between Dangling Rope Marina and Wahweap there tends to be more people. If you have the time and are looking for smoother water I suggest going up the San Juan arm. You should also take time to explore the Escalante Canyon if you want to venture further north.

Make sure you don't tow your boat behind the houseboat through the "narrows" just outside Wahweap. There have been numerous boats sunk there this year from the rough water. Here is a Malibu that did not make it.

Thats painful to look at even though its a BU

vegashomeexpert
07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
We are going to powell next month for the first time. Can anyone recommend some good places to camp, board, party?
The Lake changes every year because of the fluctuating water levels. This year should be pretty much the same as last year. Camp any place there is a good beach and is sheltered from the open water. Wind comes from the south (usually) but it is monsoon season to be prepared for the afternoon thunderstorm and short but very strong bursts of wind. Make sure you bury the houseboat anchors deap and stake down your tents and ez ups. It will be the best vacation you have ever had!:woohoo:

Mattercraft
07-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the input. I knew you guys would be able to help. That really scares me that boats are going under through the narrows. Do the houseboats throw that big of a wake? I've been in the delta and seen some big rollers coming off the cabin cruisers.
We are really looking forward to this trip. I'm sure it will be awesome.

Rixter_69
07-14-2006, 07:55 PM

Oh that is painful to even imagine, the poor owner of that BU must have been hating life. Did you see that happen?

Yikes....

JimN
07-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Where is the best place to rent houseboats, how much $ and what do they supply?

WakePowell
07-15-2006, 12:08 PM
Mattercraft – The only area you need to avoid towing a boat behind the houseboat is through the narrows. When the lake is this low the only access to the main lake is through this narrow section bordered by vertical rock walls. It only takes a few large boats going through there and the wakes keep reflecting off of the walls and the water is just “boiling”. Then there is the 60-foot tour boat that travels through there and he really puts off a large wake. You will not have a problem getting your X-Star through there just go slow and keep your bow high. Once you are through the narrows link up with the houseboat and tow your X-Star the rest of the way.

Jim N - Lake Powell is a National Recreation Area and the concessionaire that handles all houseboat rentals is Aramark. You can see all of the houseboats that they have available at lakepowell.com along with the rates and amenities. It is the best vacation you can have with your boat.

Kyle's_prostar205
07-17-2006, 05:29 PM
I have been going to Lake Powell since I was 5 and I am now 23. We usually end up staying around the San Juan or in Reflection Canyon. Like one of the other members said earlier the best ski water is up the San Juan roughly 4 miles or so. I have never camped any further south than Reflection Canyon since we launch out of Bullfrog. Good Luck! Post some pictures when you return!

Kyle

This is us in Reflection Canyon over the 4th of July.

Evan Jones
08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
Heading up to Powell with 10 friends next week. We're renting a houseboat out of Bullfrog. We'll be there Tuesday the 23rd thru Saturday the 26th. Renting a boat to ski behind, but I doubt you'd dare call it a ski-boat. Anybody else heading to Powell next week?

Archimedes
08-16-2006, 04:49 PM
I spent a couple weeks there 10 years ago with my 190 when the lake was full. I agree with the earlier posters about Gunsight Canyon, which was our first stop, and the San Juan arm as well. We beached in Secret Canyon as well, which was very cool, but I'm guessing it's high and dry right now.

Best vacation of my life, bar none.