PDA

View Full Version : Wego Kite Tubes Recalled By Company! No longer being sold.

canopyskirts
07-13-2006, 10:01 AM
A link to the official press release: http://www.sportsstuff.com/news/07-13-06/images/06210.pdf

And here is the text from the letter sent to customers...

--------------------------
Our records indicate that, during 2005-2006, you purchased a Sportsstuff Wego Kite Tube. In recent weeks, Sportsstuff has received reports that persons have been seriously injured or died while using these kite tubes. To date, Sportsstuff has been unable to determine the causes of these incidents. While Sportsstuff does not believe that the products are defective or unreasonably dangerous, in an abundance of caution, Sportsstuff is cooperating with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission to withdraw the kite tubes from the market and to undertake a voluntary recall to replace those in the possession of consumers with products of comparable value. We therefore request that you stop using your kite tube and contact us at 1-866-831-5524 for instructions how to obtain the replacement product(s).

Thank you for helping us in this important safety matter. We regret any inconvenience this may cause you.

Sincerely yours,
Leroy Peterson
Chief Executive Officer
------------------------------

There are many storeis already appearing on the net. I saw it on my local website with a title of "Deaths, Injuries Prompt Recall Of Inflatable Tow Tube"... http://www.kcci.com/money/9510436/detail.html

The writing was on the wall anyway because even places like Table Rock Lake had already banned the kite tube. If you do a Google NEWS search on Kite Tube many stories appear of all the places that were banning the tube.

Todd

gr8smiles
07-13-2006, 10:08 AM
"To date, Sportsstuff has been unable to determine the causes of these incidents. "

Do you think that need a little help???

RexDog1
07-13-2006, 10:11 AM
http://www.sportsstuff.com/ (http://www.sportsstuff.com/)

I find it funny that their web sight calls it the Sports Product of the year 2006

SD190EVO
07-13-2006, 11:10 AM
Get one now while you still can. Reminds me of Honda ATC Three Wheelers. The stock on them went up when it became hard to obtain them. A pop-culture collectors item.

TMCNo1
07-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Keep it, hang it on the wall behind the boat and use it as a bumper, when backing the boat into the garage.

Hoff1
07-13-2006, 11:20 AM
What's the replacement product going to be? A regular tube, or maybe one of those banana things. Seems like a refund for the $500 would be in order.

bigmac
07-13-2006, 11:31 AM
Cool. Now I have to decide whether to exchange it for a couple of Big Mabels, sell it, or keep it/continue to use it for its entertainment and/or collector value. The thing is a blast to ride - I'm torn...

Datdude
07-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Cool. Now I have to decide whether to exchange it for a couple of Big Mabels, sell it, or keep it/continue to use it for its entertainment and/or collector value. The thing is a blast to ride - I'm torn...

Keep it:D It may have a collector value in the near future

bigmac
07-13-2006, 01:21 PM
Keep it:D It may have a collector value in the near future

As the recall progresses and it becomes more scarce, I wonder if the thing's value will increase...

emnesto
07-13-2006, 09:46 PM
What's the replacement product going to be? A regular tube, or maybe one of those banana things. Seems like a refund for the $500 would be in order.
Actually, there are 5 or 6 different trade in packages. List price for each of the packages is about $700. No offer of a refund from Sportsstuff, but try your dealer. They might be able to get your $$ back.

wakespecialty
07-13-2006, 10:22 PM
i saw this pic on dallaswakeboarding.com this morning. this product is an embarrassment. i was involved with a company that designed and produced "stunt" tubes, designed to roll and power-slide. internally, we argued over the dangers of these tubes and whether it was appropriate to hide behind the "warning". you know the one, "may cause serious injury or death - don't exceed 24 mph" i can't comprehend the risk this company has taken. i'm not all for frivolous law suits, but i hope this company gets their due. if your company's core business is making tubes and towables, you know the consumers. it is a duel between rider and driver. is it 24 mph for the tube or the boat? do you 'whip' your rider in hopes of seeing a garage sale? this pic shows the idiocy of this product-any barefooter can attest. how many times would you see this (see pic) before deciding this was never to happen again for your friends or family.

wakespecialty
07-13-2006, 10:23 PM
note - the rider is up left of the tube!

ski_king
07-13-2006, 10:32 PM
Get one now while you still can. Reminds me of Honda ATC Three Wheelers. The stock on them went up when it became hard to obtain them. A pop-culture collectors item.
With my luck, if I had one of those, I would probobly put a hole in it with a Jart.

gr8smiles
07-13-2006, 10:44 PM
I agree with the statements above, but I believe that some photoshop may be at play here...this photo is making the rounds currently on the 'net.

Mag_Red
07-13-2006, 10:44 PM
note - the rider is up left of the tube!:eek:
That's going to hurt!:D

bigmac
07-13-2006, 10:48 PM
I agree with the statements above, but I believe that some photoshop may be at play here...this photo is making the rounds currently on the 'net.
:D Yes, the laws of physics and principles of ballistic motion would tend to suggest PhotoShop at work.:D

bigmac
07-13-2006, 11:00 PM
This is the image before it was Photoshopped by the manufacturer..:D

mitch
07-13-2006, 11:53 PM
This is the image before it was Photoshopped by the manufacturer..:D

good one!:uglyhamme

NeilM
07-14-2006, 12:28 AM
With my luck, if I had one of those, I would probobly put a hole in it with a Jart.

:purplaugh Good One... Actually I still have a set of the original Jarts in my travel trailer. Wonder if they're a collector's item now?

rodltg2
07-14-2006, 12:40 AM
i dont think anyone should get their money back. the product is not defective , its the owners who are. if your to stupid to realize the risk than you shouldnt be on it.. give me a break it tells you it can go airborne. what do you think is going to happen whne you add speed and wind to that equation. just goes to show you no one wants to take resposibilty for their own actions.....

thats why you wont find me on one of those things.... i knew it was to dangerous for me just seeing the video in the store..

PendO
07-14-2006, 01:01 AM
i dont think anyone should get their money back. the product is not defective , its the owners who are. if your to stupid to realize the risk than you shouldnt be on it.. give me a break it tells you it can go airborne. what do you think is going to happen whne you add speed and wind to that equation. just goes to show you no one wants to take resposibilty for their own actions.....

thats why you wont find me on one of those things.... i knew it was to dangerous for me just seeing the video in the store..

absolutely ... but can you imagine being the insurance carrier ... my friend bought one this spring and said "I want to get one before they are banned" he drove by our cabin and asked if anyone wanted to go for a ride and said "everyone in the boat has a headache from riding it" ... I said, not thanks, I'll just sit here and drink some beer.

rektek
07-14-2006, 01:08 AM
need to take the mother in law for a tube run ! hooah !:D

wakespecialty
07-14-2006, 01:24 AM
f-me for a photo-shop spoof, but the facts remain. point to rod as well, what did the mfg think was going to happen when speed, wind, drink was added to the mix. if your knew from the video it was dangerous, *** did the manufacturer not see? if i am a mfg, am i going to risk my company on the hope that some idiot "takes responsibility for their actions....." with this stupid product?

jakethebt
07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
Keep it, it may go up in value? Yeah right... how many 3 wheelers do you see being sold for more than their original price?:confused: Keep it as a novelty? Yeah because it is as easy to store as a pet rock.:cool:

Photoshop or not, the product was a bad idea. The warning label of fly only as high as you want to fall implies that you (the rider) can control its altitude. It seems to me that the operator has little control once the thing gets airborne. He is along for the ride.

I do however believe that people need to be accountable for their own actions and not look to blame someone else. They also need to approach things with some lick of sense. The media is our own worst enemy at this. They always want to blame somone else. Lets see, my boat, my driver, me on the tube that has a skull on it, my mouth that said "hit it" to the boat driver, my punctured rib... mfg fault. Yep... now where is my check?

atlfootr
07-14-2006, 07:51 AM
I do however believe that people need to be accountable for their own actions."What we got here . . . is failure to communicate!"
-- Hardly.

One of Newman's most memorable performances, Cool Hand Luke

bigmac
07-14-2006, 07:52 AM
Keep it, it may go up in value? Yeah right... how many 3 wheelers do you see being sold for more than their original price?:confused: Keep it as a novelty? Yeah because it is as easy to store as a pet rock.:cool:

Photoshop or not, the product was a bad idea. The warning label of fly only as high as you want to fall implies that you (the rider) can control its altitude. It seems to me that the operator has little control once the thing gets airborne. He is along for the ride.

I do however believe that people need to be accountable for their own actions and not look to blame someone else. They also need to approach things with some lick of sense. The media is our own worst enemy at this. They always want to blame somone else. Lets see, my boat, my driver, me on the tube that has a skull on it, my mouth that said "hit it" to the boat driver, my punctured rib... mfg fault. Yep... now where is my check?

If I decide to keep mine, it will be because the device is a lot of fun, not its resale value. If resale were the object, it seems like it would be more advantageous to do the exchange and re-sell the new ones. That would be likely to net more money

I suppose it's inevitable in the US that a device has to be market-studied based on their stupidest customers, and it's apparent that SportsStuff underestimated that lowest common denominator. Obviously they (and their lawyers and the USCPSC) agree. Their exchange program is pretty clever and their withdrawl from the market is pretty prompt. SportsStuff's towables are high quality, and the exchange options they offer represent good value and a solid enticement to sending the thing back.

atlfootr
07-14-2006, 07:59 AM
With my luck, if I had one of those, I would probobly put a hole in it with a Jart.Jart :confused:
I don't think, I've never seen a "Jart" before .:purplaugh

ski_king
07-14-2006, 08:22 AM
Jart :confused:
I don't think, I've never seen a "Jart" before .:purplaugh
Jart is a lawn dart, outlawed back in the 80's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_darts

Fun game, but dangerous with little kids and drunks running around.

Danimal
07-14-2006, 09:20 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawn_darts

Fun game, but dangerous with little kids and drunks running around.

I run in traffic whilst holding a Jart and scissors! 8p

atlfootr
07-14-2006, 09:47 AM
Fun game, but dangerous with little kids and drunks running around.Lawn darts (also called Jarts or yard darts) is a lawn game for two players or teams. A lawn dart set usually includes four large darts and two targets. The game play and objective are similar to both Horseshoes and Darts. The darts are typically 12 inches long with a weighted metal or plastic tip on one end and three plastic fins on a rod at the other end. The darts are intended to be tossed underhand toward a horizontal ground target, where the weighted end hits first and sticks in to the ground. The target is typically a plastic ring, and landing anywhere within the ring is considered a point.

Yeah, OK :) Now, I do remember those things.
Back 30 years, we use to stand over top of the rings taking turns launch'n the darts at each other's "targets".
And we did it sober, man I wish I still had my set, of Jarts.

atlfootr
07-14-2006, 09:48 AM
While the tip may not be sharp enough to be obviously dangerous, when misused, these darts can cause skull punctures and other serious injuries.

On December 19, 1988, all lawn darts were banned from sale in the United States by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Lawn darts, used in an outdoor game, have been responsible for the deaths of four children, the latest being in early 1997 near Elkhart, Indiana. It should be noted that the specific incident that caused lawn darts to be made illegal also involved beer, and that, when engaged in responsibly, the recreational use of lawn darts is less dangerous than baseball.

Lawn darts remain legal for use in the United Kingdom as well as other countries.

Mikey
07-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah right... how many 3 wheelers do you see being sold for more than their original price?

Honda 250R 3 Wheeler 83-86. One of the baddest ATV's ever built! One of those in good shape will sell for alot more than the original price.;)

atlfootr
07-14-2006, 09:54 AM
Did a quick search on E-bay, for anyone crazy enough to attempt selling one.
Found this .... :purplaugh

OSUspenc99
07-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Just to add a little something about the Wego. I heard about this coming to work this morning. What they said was that even if you do keep it in Ohio and you are seen riding it on a state lake then you are going to get a fine they are considered illegal now in Ohio.
Just what I heard this morning about it and my 2 cents

atlfootr
07-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Something else about the Wego, I heard this coming to work this morning.
Even if you do keep it in Ohio and you are seen riding it on a state lake, you are going to get a fine.
They are considered illegal now in Ohio, just my :twocents:
Smells like a pile of ... if ya ask me.
Jus' my :twocents:

phecksel
07-14-2006, 11:56 AM

i have a problem, because the rider is the likely one to get injured, but they have little control over their destiny once they get on.

rodltg2
07-14-2006, 12:01 PM
then dont ride it....plain and simple. if your not willing to take the risk stay on the dock...

im not going to go sue d3 after a i do an OTF and blame the ski was designed poorly.. i know not exaclty the same thing , but i know theres a risk to slalom skiing and i can get hurt...

on the other hand i cant believe they made this thing.

PendO
07-14-2006, 12:06 PM
I suppose it's inevitable in the US that a device has to be market-studied based on their stupidest customers, and it's apparent that SportsStuff underestimated that lowest common denominator.

hit the nail on the head bigmac!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Well, I guess we can expect any better. I mean this is the same world where McDonald's gets sued because their seats are too small for gravity challenged people. The problem is nobody takes responsibility for their own actions anymore. Its always a case of "someone else's fault". its our legal system. its allowed it to get to this point. Hey, why arent Ice picks outlawed from the market? how bout Razor blades? or plastic garbage bags? or cars? those items all kill or injur people too. why are they allowed to be on the market? I know people that drank themselves to death, why arent alcholic beverages outlawed because of that? motorcycles? Bungee jumping? the list goes on and on and on. why the kite tube? what makes it so deadly? See this is a perfect example of a "knee jerk" law. Just pass a law and react fast, that will make it all better:rolleyes: never mind looking into things in a rational manner. I think I am gonna live wildly today and go home and rip the tags right off my mattresses. I am such a rebel!

rodltg2
07-14-2006, 12:39 PM
oh oh , dont do that UMP, you may serve some jail time. on the other hand that may do you some good :D

Leroy
07-14-2006, 02:10 PM
Funny, you would think people could take responsibility for their own actions. I've said it before and I'm with UMP on this one. I still remember the Belgiums asking if someone could really get millions in America because the hot coffee from McDonald's spilled in their crouch, while driving....maybe it was the car's fault.

Did a quick search on E-bay, for anyone crazy enough to attempt selling one.
Found this .... :purplaugh

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 02:46 PM
What's dangerous about these kite tubes is what I consider to be dangerous about innertubes in general---no control surfaces. Once that tube leaves the water, it is controlled by everything but the person on it.

A girl was killed on our lake two years ago because she could not control the tube she was riding and collided with a channel marker. Clearly, the driver, her father, should not have had her so close to the channel marker, but she just couldn't turn the thing given its momentum so as to get herself out of the situation in which she'd been unintentionally placed.

From my perspective, I'm not riding, nor do I have any intention of letting my child ride something over which they don't have at least some modicum of control. And I don't consider sticking your feet in the water a control surface much more than flailing your arms on a kite tube would qualify. Sure, skiing is dangerous and injury or death is always a possibility. Then again, so is driving to work. But at least the ski has a fin, and the car a steering wheel.

If some of you out there ride tubes and enjoy it, good for you. I'm not trying to stop you. Just adding my $.02 to coinstar as to why we don't pull them.

Dooker
07-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Aw eastie! I no you done pulld ole dooker on the toob back in the day. As fer UMP gettin his painties in a twist over muh coffee case, how you think ole dooker got the munny ta buy his master craft!! That stuff was hot and burned muh bits somthin teribull.

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 03:00 PM
Aw eastie! I no you done pulld ole dooker on the toob back in the day. As fer UMP gettin his painties in a twist over muh coffee case, how you think ole dooker got the munny ta buy his master craft!! That stuff was hot and burned muh bits somthin teribull.

That hurt to read.

ski_king
07-19-2006, 07:42 AM
I see that Inside Edition (ABC?) is having a feature on the flying tubes tonight.

Evan Jones
07-19-2006, 09:05 AM
They have a great DVD training aid that says don't go over 20 mph or use in winds over 7 mph. Period. The tube won't fly as advertised until you hit a least 30-35 mph. They even say at the end of the video that the footage shown may have been done using higher than recommended speeds.

LakePirate
07-19-2006, 09:20 AM
For some reason I think the headline should read

After solving all of the State's other problems, Ohio passes law to fine kite tubers.

While I agree with Eastie that you can't control it when you are on it, you can always let go.

Don't fly any higher than you are willing to fall:
you say you don't have control of that

Sure you do, when you get to the height at which you are willing to fall but no more LET GO!

Kids getting hurt on this thing that don't know better than to let go, sure but what is one of the first things that you tell a beginning skier - remember to let go of the rope if you fall.

-sorry this is not very well laid out, just kind of rambling

bigmac
07-19-2006, 09:32 AM
I think I've decided to return my kite tube under SportsStuff's return/exchange program, although I admit I'm still torn. One deciding factor is that my Drive by Progressive insurance policy won't cover towed flying devices anymore (although liability is still covered by my $2 million umbrella policy).

I called SportsStuff and got an RMA #, but my daughter and several friends are going to be up this weekend and she requested the tube be available for flight. So, unless I change my mind, I'll cut the tow-hook and valves out and mail 'em off for exchange on Monday. Just what I need - storing more tubes...

Ric
07-19-2006, 09:39 AM
I hate storing tubes Mac!
Who has a nice way of putting them up in the garage?
as far as the kite tube, I still cannot believe this company offered this thing to the market. I think it's cool and crazy but I would not have wanted to be on the mfg end of this one.
I talked to a guy with an outboard boat this weekend who has one and he said that you have to get going nearly 40 mph to lift it off the water
he weighs about 225

bigmac
07-19-2006, 10:28 AM
I hate storing tubes Mac!
Who has a nice way of putting them up in the garage?
as far as the kite tube, I still cannot believe this company offered this thing to the market. I think it's cool and crazy but I would not have wanted to be on the mfg end of this one.
I talked to a guy with an outboard boat this weekend who has one and he said that you have to get going nearly 40 mph to lift it off the water
he weighs about 225

SportsStuff has an upper weight limit of 200 lbs on the kite tube. I pulled a 225 lb buddy, and I agree that in calm wind (safest) 40 mph to lift him off is about right. The other problem with heavier riders like that is that the tube tends to fold around the rider. Pulling people 185 lbs and up requires a LOT of pre-ride pumping to get the thing really, really tight. We'd get that thing so tight for the big boys that the valves would occasionally pop.

mitch
07-19-2006, 10:34 AM
what are they offering you?

I think I've decided to return my kite tube under SportsStuff's return/exchange program, although I admit I'm still torn. One deciding factor is that my Drive by Progressive insurance policy won't cover towed flying devices anymore (although liability is still covered by my $2 million umbrella policy).

I called SportsStuff and got an RMA #, but my daughter and several friends are going to be up this weekend and she requested the tube be available for flight. So, unless I change my mind, I'll cut the tow-hook and valves out and mail 'em off for exchange on Monday. Just what I need - storing more tubes...

WTRSK1R
07-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Here is the link to the list of selections for replacements:
http://www.sportsstuff.com/customercare/wegoexchange/index.shtml

bigmac
07-19-2006, 10:51 AM
what are they offering you?

Several different options (http://www.sportsstuff.com/customercare/wegoexchange/index.shtml), all of which are substantially more than the cost of the kite tube. I filled out the form and chose option C, which is now no longer available. That's a Super Mable and a 100" Wet n' Wild.

http://www.sportsstuff.com/towables/mables/supermable/images/mable3act.jpg

http://www.sportsstuff.com/towables/decks/wetnwild/images/wetnwildact.jpg

$700 retail value, compared to $600 retail on the Kite Tube.