PDA

View Full Version : Some lit my trailer on fire...

wiltok
07-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Can you believe this - pretty senseless act. My neighbor heard the tire explode and came out and put it out. The fire dept thinks someone put gas on the wheel and lit her up. I haven't been able to take the wheel off yet - but it could have been a lot worse.

Do you guys think I can salvage the wheel (at least for this year). The bearing buddy is melted and who knows what else. At least the house didn't burn down - especially since my parents were sleeping inside.

Best part - despite repeated calls - I have not heard one word from the Sheriff's department. They refuse to call me back....

wiltok
07-12-2006, 10:09 PM
Another view

PendO
07-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Can you believe this - pretty senseless act. My neighbor heard the tire explode and came out and put it out. The fire dept thinks someone put gas on the wheel and lit her up. I haven't been able to take the wheel off yet - but it could have been a lot worse.

Do you guys think I can salvage the wheel (at least for this year). The bearing buddy is melted and who knows what else. At least the house didn't burn down - especially since my parents were sleeping inside.

Best part - despite repeated calls - I have not heard one word from the Sheriff's department. They refuse to call me back....

I'll bet you could salvage the wheel but you need to re'grease the bearings:) Too bad about the sheriff not calling you back, seems that property crimes get a slow response in a lot of places:( Hard to solve them so it is hard to justify the resources. IMO

JimN
07-13-2006, 08:35 AM
Why are you calling the sherrif's dept instead of the local police?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Now that is just plain weird! I wonder if it was some kids goofing around with fireworks or something and things got out of hand.....

shepherd
07-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Man, who did you pi$$ off? :(
j/k, probably just a prank. I don't think fireworks or even a match would accidently light up a tire (not that I've tried it). They probably had to use something like gas, like the FD said.

Leroy
07-13-2006, 09:58 AM
This is really petty and stupid. See any kids walking around at night smelling like gas? Get it reported very well as it is likely this will not be the last prank these idiots pull. Maybe even ask for extra patrol around the area.

bcampbe7
07-13-2006, 10:35 AM
I would be pi$$ed!

Does it have anything to do with this?
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10001

brftski
07-13-2006, 10:41 AM
If you want to know if gasoline was used, you can go to the dirt around the wheel and scoop up a hand full. Take the dirt and rub it between your hands very fast. The heat from rubbing your hands together will bring out the odor. I am an arson investigator and this is an old trick I use all the time.I have brought out the odor of gasoline that had been on the ground for over a year. If the scene was not secured between the fire dept. leaving and law enforcement arrival this will be a hard case to prosocute.Most law enforcement don't understand fire so they won't put much time into investigating the crime and most fire dept. don't have arrest powers so they can't investigate the crime. Looking at your pics this is something kids would do. I am sorry for your loss not only the loss of the tire and wheel, the loss of security you had. If there is anything, I can do to help let me know. I am also available to help you with a good ol' southern style A$$ whooping if you need.

east tx skier
07-13-2006, 11:08 AM
That stinks. There is a red MC trailer fender on ebay right now. I'd start bidding on it. As for the wheel, I don't know. You can get tire and wheel from overtons for not a whole lot more than the replacement tire would cost (assuming Good Year).

Rockman
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM

That totally sucks. People like need to be taught a lesson.

Check Dunkin Donuts.:D

Ric
07-13-2006, 01:04 PM
bet you'd like to bidge slap that kid!!!

keep the wheel, but redo the brakes and bearings... I think those steel wheels will withstand nuclear attack and still hold a bead!!

JimN
07-13-2006, 01:08 PM
I doubt the wheel will be as strong as it was before. Heating it and letting it cool slowly removes a lot of hardness. If it got really hot and was cooled by water, it's probably brittle now and if you hit the right kind of bump or a curb, it could crack. Better to let the insurance pay for a new one.

JimN
07-13-2006, 01:09 PM
I doubt the wheel will be as strong as it was before. Heating it and letting it cool slowly removes a lot of hardness. If it got really hot and was cooled by water, it's probably brittle now and if you hit the right kind of bump or a curb, it could crack. Better to let the insurance pay for a new one.

jraben8
07-13-2006, 01:33 PM
For the cost of the problem, I don't know that I would bother to get the INS. co involved.

$160 for a wheel and tire, minimal for bearings and buddy (possibly brakes), the fender and paint (sorry, I don't have any idea what this will be). I'd probably just pay is and hope someday to take it back out of the punks...(insert body part here).

chudson
07-13-2006, 02:31 PM
[Do you guys think I can salvage the wheel (at least for this year).]

A new tire, wheel, and bearings seems a pretty cheap price to pay considering the alternative of a wheel going bad while goin down the road with the boat on the trailer.

Also I had some kids shoot at a "slow childeren playing sign" in front of my home late one night and I took out after them in my truck wearing just my bvd's ( I know, dumb move ). Caught up with them about 5 miles away, they had know idea who I was but I took their lic. plate # which was vanity plates with their name on it and called the Sheriffs ofc. Never heard back from the Sheriffs Dept either on that but I later found out that a Captain in the Sheriffs Dept had the same last name as what was on the lic. plate so I hope the Dad chewed the kids rear real hard.

McFire
07-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Sorry to hear about the fire. Was that in Michigan? My parents are at Sister Lakes and I would want to warn them. We have trailers and toys all around up there.

Evan Jones
07-13-2006, 02:48 PM
That stinks. There is a red MC trailer fender on ebay right now. I'd start bidding on it. As for the wheel, I don't know. You can get tire and wheel from overtons for not a whole lot more than the replacement tire would cost (assuming Good Year).

That's an older style fender on Ebay. Won't match.

JohnnyB
07-13-2006, 08:34 PM
You might try chrome polish and a Mother's buffing ball to try to get the black charring off....might get lucky if it didn't damage the surface too much....gas burns on the surface a long time before it starts to do damage....

PendO
07-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Why are you calling the sherrif's dept instead of the local police?

around here if it is outside the city limits then you have to call the sheriff ...