PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Lights (help me choose)

PendO
07-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Okay, I need 9 exterior lights for our cabin remodel ... one of these is 15 bucks a light ... the other one is 120 a light

Mag_Red
07-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Should have done a poll.........but I say #1:)

milkmania
07-12-2006, 07:50 PM
$1080.00 = 9 x $120.00
-$135.00 = 9 x $15.00
$$945.00

you can just send me the difference;)

PendO
07-12-2006, 07:57 PM
sorry to the ladies I may offend ... but we are trying to satisfy my mom, wife, sis in-law, and sister ... my wife votes for #1, my mom votes for #2 (and I could care less what my sister says:))

I'm thinking #1 is good enough as well:)

Mag, I did do a poll, can't you see it (site upgrade?)?

milkmania
07-12-2006, 08:02 PM
sorry to the ladies I may offend ... but we are trying to satisfy my mom, wife, sis in-law, and sister ... my wife votes for #1, my mom votes for #2 (and I could care less what my sister says:)) ain't gonna happen....too many variables

I'm thinking #1 is good enough as well:) me too

Mag, I did do a poll, can't you see it (site upgrade?) I see it

...going back to vote;)

Mag_Red
07-12-2006, 08:12 PM
sorry to the ladies I may offend ... but we are trying to satisfy my mom, wife, sis in-law, and sister ... my wife votes for #1, my mom votes for #2 (and I could care less what my sister says:))

Mag, I did do a poll, can't you see it (site upgrade?)?Probably replied before the poll box appeared;)

ski_king
07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
If prices were the same I would go with go with #2.
But Knowing the big difference in price, I would go with the cheaper one. Which is No. 1, right?

TMCNo1
07-12-2006, 08:59 PM
#1 looks a little more marine-like.

ntidsl
07-13-2006, 07:20 AM
you are talking the difference between stamp very thin aluminaum fixture with an olde bricke finish that wil wear off after a few months and a cast piece...my suggestion is obviously cast, but I alwys favor hand poured cast brass...solid brass like the rudder on your boat...go to a showroom and avoid the big store box places...

ntidsl
07-13-2006, 07:24 AM
how bout option 3...solid brass...will never corrode...dark sky approved...no glare spot...never get blinded by walking toward the door...

ntidsl
07-13-2006, 07:28 AM
now that says..."welcome to my cabin" but for $620. each it better say that and make me see genies and repack my cooler every morning...lol...if you want marine look at the kichler line and look at the k9923ob...inexpensive and very marine...you can kind it at www.kichler.com go to outdoor coach lights or do a item search for 9923ob...good luck

gr8smiles
07-13-2006, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=PendO]sorry to the ladies I may offend ... but we are trying to satisfy my mom, wife, sis in-law, and sister ... my wife votes for #1, my mom votes for #2 (and I could care less what my sister says:))

Let me think a minute, unless you are from a certain unnamed part of the country, you only sleep with one of the above...:D

So, as the saying goes....well sorta, If your wife ain't happy, then you ain't happy!

No brainer....although I do like the third option that is being thrown out.

Whose cabin is it? If your whole family owns it, you got a lot more troubles than picking out lights.......:D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-13-2006, 08:22 AM

Mag, I did do a poll, can't you see it (site upgrade?)?
Pendo, think about what you are saying. YOu are trying to please 4 women at once. To modern science and the laws of physics, this is impossible. you cannot please 4 women at one time. They will undoubtedly disagree on something. If the light were made compeltely out of edible chocolate that magically made them all lose weight and look like a supermodel, they still wouldnt be happy. Somthing would still be wrong with it. It wouldnt give off enough light to show off their new figures, or the color would clash with their new dress, or something. You cannot win, so I suggest that you buy the cheaper light and use the rest of the money to take all of them out to dinner, and buy something nice for you wife and mother in law as they are key to you happiness. You know the old saying "If mamma aint happy, aint nobody happy." so there you have it. Dr. Hoosier isnt in, so I will pinch hit for him. :D

ntidsl
07-13-2006, 08:33 AM
better yet stay the heck out of it and let them go at it.

shepherd
07-13-2006, 08:45 AM
#1 looks a little more marine-like.

What he ^^^ said

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-13-2006, 08:46 AM
better yet stay the heck out of it and let them go at it.
Oooooo! there's a good idea!! we have a winner! ntidsl, you must have been married a long time to be so wise!:D

shepherd
07-13-2006, 08:47 AM
If your wife ain't happy, then you ain't happy!

What he ^^^ said. Plus, go with the wife if her choice is cheaper - she should have a say in the family finances...

peason
07-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I like #1, but I also bought some cheap - nickel plated lights from Menards a couple of years ago - and they rusted before the year was out. If you want the rusted look - get the cheap ones.

TMCNo1
07-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Let them choose among themselves, what they want, then make a deal with them that if they pay for the lights, you will install them all by yourself.

Workin' 4 Toys
07-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Is:
#1 - Brass
#2 - Cast aluminum ?

My vote is #2 for sure, but what is are they?

ntidsl
07-13-2006, 02:13 PM
#1 is a very thin brass fixture...#2 is a cast alum most probably or some time of alum i guess...#2 will hold up much better and the water glass will help with glare spots...but will still blind you when you look at the light unlike choice 3 which will not allow you to see the source of the light unless you are under it, like the picture; it will cast the light down and around...go with choice 3...life time guarantee...

PendO
07-13-2006, 05:48 PM
I like the $620 lights ... but, realistically the max I want to spend per fixture is $60 ... the body of the cabin is 8" TIG 4X8 sheets, the 3 gabled ends are Hardie Shingle ... I did go to a lighting store (the same one where we got lights for our house) ... I think I am going to go back and see what kind of a price I can get on a more mid-level fixture if I order 9, my buddy is a general contractor so he could probably get me a slightly better price, but I hate to call him up for something so trivial.

I want lights that are aesthetically a match to the style / setting and don't scream "I'm way more modern that the cabin" ... oh well, back to my paperwork!

PendO
07-13-2006, 05:57 PM
now that says..."welcome to my cabin" but for $620. each it better say that and make me see genies and repack my cooler every morning...lol...if you want marine look at the kichler line and look at the k9923ob...inexpensive and very marine...you can kind it at www.kichler.com go to outdoor coach lights or do a item search for 9923ob...good luck

thanks for the link ... I found these for 72.93 each the 9407OB

PendO
07-13-2006, 06:00 PM
and these for 46.95 each 9022OB

Workin' 4 Toys
07-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I like the $620 lights ... but, realistically the max I want to spend per fixture is $60 ... Then why consider the #2 for 120 each? So far the best looking here.....

ntidsl
07-13-2006, 08:37 PM
the 72.93 are called concord and the 40 somethings are called traditional marine...fyi...i may be in the lighting business huh? if you want i can get you either..pm me and I'll get you a price on them...I only sell wholesale but i can help a MC brother out...I can get them as quick as tuesday or wednesday to you...

betsy&david Harrison
07-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Chicks opinion here... I like #2 best. It has so much more character and will last longer. B

PendO
07-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Then why consider the #2 for 120 each? So far the best looking here.....

Because, it's just my nature I guess:)

Chicks opinion here... I like #2 best. It has so much more character and will last longer. B

Thanks Betsy

Ntidsl - I'll look thru the kichler catalog and send you some questions (and I thought picking out options on an MC was hard) ... do you think the two lights shown with the Olde Brick will have a simmilar finish, they look different in the picture? I'd probably get 7 of the 6052OB's and use one on a shed, and 3 of the 9477OB's.

ntidsl
07-14-2006, 07:23 AM
wow...here I am on the TT site actually working...and then it dawned on me...I wonder what 303 would do to the lights??? hmmmm......

actually dont laugh by when I hold seminars I actually teach installers to use rain x on their spot light lenses upon installation and each time they change the bulbs...it keeps the lenses clear for months...

nice layout pendo...if you do the double floods make sure that you use a small bulb not a 150 watt...you won't need that much light...I would suggest you use low voltage lights mounted in the surrounding trees shining down into the yard and onto the walk ways but that a whole nother can of worms...it's a nice approach though because you never have to worry about the blinding effect of the floods mounted on the house...but if the double floods are aimed correctly it shouldnt be that much of a problem.

ntidsl
07-14-2006, 09:19 AM
your pm box is full pendo

okay

6052 ob $36.88
9477ob $56.25

you let me know and I'll send these out for you

doug

PendO
07-14-2006, 11:07 AM
your pm box is full pendo

doug

sorry man, I deleted all my PM's but the three from you and the one from Skeeler with a password:)

As for 303, I used some to get into my ski binding the other day ... one squirt did the trick.

Thanks Doug, I'll get back to you about which ones (sorry to have you working on TT:) )