PDA

View Full Version : Can't back RIGHT...

M-Funf
07-12-2006, 07:08 PM
For the longest time I've been hearing that nobody can back LEFT in a MC.
I can't back RIGHT, which would be my preferred direction since the drivers seat is on the right, as well as my bumpers. My prop is a RH rotation, which makes it pull left when backing...

Are other "old" MC's like this as well? Any suggestions on docking since my bumpers are on the less-than-optimal side:confused:

Edit: I guess I could change to LH rotation...new engine...new prop...

Mag_Red
07-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Right?? Left??? What's the difference??? :rant: The damned boat never goes where you want it anyway!!!!!!!

M-Funf
07-12-2006, 07:30 PM
I used to drive a friends MC when we went houseboating. I could point the boat straight at the side of the houseboat, turn slightly left just before we got there, pull it into R, and swing the back of the boat parallel with the houseboat and drift in slowly (sideways) reach out with my right hand and grab the boat. Smooth...I liked that, but it looks a LOT less pretty with my '76...

tex
07-12-2006, 07:35 PM
I can back mine left. It just goes right alot easier! I love driving my buddy's SN and making it back to the right. It pisses him off!

M-Funf
07-12-2006, 07:38 PM
So what's the trick, Tex?

Give it some foward gas with the rudder cranked all the way left so the rear swings right, then light reverse to prevent forward motion:steering:

Or do I just need to have another Martini and fughetaboutit?

tex
07-12-2006, 07:41 PM
I do it by feel. Martinis help!

M-Funf
07-12-2006, 07:44 PM
I do it by feel. Martinis help!

Check...more martinis :D

RobertT
07-12-2006, 08:07 PM
I used to think that you have to back right to do it correctly. I still approach every dock from the right at about a 40 degree angle, then use reverse to pull the back in quick and tight.

However, my fuel fill is on the left side. Stupid. You should always put the fuel fill on the side of an inboard that it pulls to for marina use. Then again, thats the side you fill it at the pump so......

Anyway, I learned that to pull into a tight spot from the other direction just takes a different technique. Now its not an issue. You cant use the pull to your advantage that way.

When going in the other way...I just go in alot slower, more at a 60 degree angle (more aggressive), then take it out of gear about 50 feet out. I turn the wheel hard, and start to blip the throttle to get the boat to start some spin momentum.

Spin momentum is the key in my opinion. The trick is to get your glide and spin momentum perfect, so that at the last second a little reverse throttle simply stops the velocity and spin to stop you at a perfect point. The reverse with a hard rudder angle stops and aggressive spin, as opposed to the other direction where the the reverse pulls it in. If that makes any sense. Just my newbie opinion.

Feels flippin great when you get it perfect.

RobertT
07-12-2006, 08:09 PM
P.S.

Martinis are key!

Rixter_69
07-12-2006, 08:39 PM
However, my fuel fill is on the left side. Stupid. You should always put the fuel fill on the side of an inboard that it pulls to for marina use.

Feels flippin great when you get it perfect.

Amen Brutha.....When the hell is MC going to fuel fills on both sides?

I almost bought an Air Nautique 216 instead of my X9 because the Nautique had fuel fills on both sides, but common sense get the better of me (not to mention the extra 6 grand I would have paid for the Nautique).

Give me Master Craft or give me death!

RobertT
07-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Amen Brutha.....When the hell is MC going to fuel fills on both sides?

I almost bought an Air Nautique 216 instead of my X9 because the Nautique had fuel fills on both sides, but common sense get the better of me (not to mention the extra 6 grand I would have paid for the Nautique).

Give me Master Craft or give me death!

I would also assume that fuel fills on both sides would also allow us to put another 20% more fuel in the tank. I can get another 5 gallons of fuel in my tank if a giant fat person sits on the other side weighting it down. However, I usually fuel my boat up by my self so the exact opposite happens.

Opening both fuel fill ports while in the water should fix that.

ttu
07-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Right?? Left??? What's the difference??? :rant: The damned boat never goes where you want it anyway!!!!!!!

I think i just spilled my coffee laughing at this reply.:jumping:

east tx skier
07-13-2006, 11:30 AM
My ski school instructor can back a ski boat straight back. He showed me how to do it and I've since forgotten. I may have to get another lesson on Monday when I'm up there.