PDA

View Full Version : Entry Wakeboard

sanjuan23
07-12-2006, 04:35 PM
Fella's I have been riding my BrotherInLaws Hyperlite for the last couple of weeks and have noticed as I get more comfortable with turns crossing the wakes etc. That his board is definetely not for the entry level rider. What would you suggest for a entry level board that I will enjoy for a couple of seasons until it's time to upgrade. Thanks for the suggestions. And anyone know of a good suggestion for the wife as well.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 04:42 PM
We've got an O'Brien that we used to teach ourselves and keep around for guests.

sanjuan23
07-12-2006, 04:44 PM
We've got an O'Brien that we used to teach ourselves and keep around for guests.

How about slalom training skis or something a bit more recreational or stable than the single comp we have been trying to ride. Cant get out of the water on that thing to save my life.

peason
07-12-2006, 04:48 PM
Look for one of the wider shaped skis that they sell now. We bought a pair of O'Brien for our kids to learn on and my daughter just took off on a slalom run with ease.

ttu
07-12-2006, 04:54 PM
hyperlite motive or state. Both are really good beginner boards that will allow you to progress on for some time.

what ever you do don't buy a cheap board to start, because you will be replacing it before you know it.

sanjuan23
07-12-2006, 04:55 PM
hyperlite motive or state. Both are really good beginner boards that will allow you to progress on for some time.

what ever you do don't buy a cheap board to start, because you will be replacing it before you know it.

Kinda figured not to buy the cheap one to start. Isnt that why I bought my MC instead of some I/O for the first boat??

ttu
07-12-2006, 05:03 PM
sanjuan, was not trying to offend you by any means.....just trying to save you some bucks down the road.

oh heck go ahead and go with a pro $500 board and $350 bindings. Since you already have the cash sitting in the closet.

sanjuan23
07-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Not at all man didnt take it that way! Wish I had that kinda money sitting around but it would be in something other than a "pro" wakeboard. Sorry if I sounded like the arse..

ttu
07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
No prob. I was just funna ya.

If you can try to demo some boards. My son, age 12 rides a State 130.

He can do w2w 180's and some inverts. He had a chance at Table Rock over the 4th to ride a Murray 134. He had a smile on from ear to ear thinking damm my dad might buy me this board. He road it about 4 sets and went back to his state because it's just more predictable.

db

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 06:50 PM
I'm the guy with the cheap board. And I agree, don't buy one. It does do well at keeping the dust off some old boxes in our garage.

SteveO
07-13-2006, 10:17 AM
I received a flyer from The Slalom Shop in Lewisville that all pre 2006 wakeboard bindings in stock were $89/pair. I know you asked about boards, but that may help with the cost of the entire setup.

jlf
07-13-2006, 10:35 AM
Stick with a board that has a continous rocker and several molded and aluminum fins. The continous rocker boards seems to be a bit less aggressive, yet it will be a good board to advance though and the fins help stabalize the board in the water. Just make sure you buy a descent pair of bindings so your feet don't get sore while riding. Something that has lots of padding in the feet. The best thing to do would be do demo some boards if possible. Just my two cents.

RexDog1
07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
I Like CWB Boards, The Sol Or The Pure Are Nice Boards But Demo The Board first, most pro shops have a demo program

Davo
07-13-2006, 03:53 PM
I ride an old '03 CWB Absolute which is similair to the Sol and Pure that RexDog mentioned....the board is good for all skill levels in my opinion.

Generally, I would tell a beginner to get a board with continuous rocker because they typically have less total rocker than a 3-stage. They will ride higher in the water and release off the wake easier which helps newbies get more pop off the wake....with the 3-stage rocker you sometimes have to work the board more to get the same pop, BUT the CWB's are generally a tad wider at the mid section and tips than most boards so they still offer good pop to beginners even though they have a subtle 3-stage rocker.

The Hyperlite Motive and State are good boards for beginners, but I like the Liquid Force boards better....on the whole, the LF decks have less rocker and lighter construction.

On Overtons, they have a 134cm '04 LF Substance or the 135cm '04 LF Balance with Ultra Sucs for $299....a slightly more advanced board, the CWB Pure, Sol or Factor with Mobe binding is selling for $379 on Barts.

Mikey
07-15-2006, 08:12 PM
I ride an O'Brien Oasis 137 with Link bindings. I was a beginner when I bought it and now am intermediate and it has been a great board. I will probably use it for a few more years even as I progress. That would be a good one for what you need. Oh and FYI my buddy has a Hyperlite State and he prefers to ride my board.;)

Eagle
07-15-2006, 08:32 PM
You can't go wrong with a Hyperlite Motive. It's probably the most successul wakeboard shape in wakeboarding history. It's comfortable, friendly board for a beginner yet can progress with you as far as you can take it. This question gets asked a lot on wakeworld.com, and the Motive is always the most recommended board.

Not coincidentally, following recommendations, I started on a Motive.

JohnE
07-16-2006, 11:46 AM
So I guess everyone would agree that I should look to upgrade the O'brien $100 job that my wife bought at K-mart last year the day before we had a little party? It has basically some straps (not really bindings) to hold your feet. I tried it for the first time last weekend, and am now looking for an entry level board as described in OP. I'm gonna look for the Motive, but would welcome any other suggestions.

Any suggestions on bindings? Anything to look for or really stay away from?

Thanks,

John

Mikey
07-26-2006, 01:53 PM
O'Brien does make some pretty "cheap" boards but they also make some pretty good boards. If you want to spend the money on a HYPErlite thats cool, but you can get just as good of a board for alot less cash. There is no need to get a hyperlite as an entry level board. Now bindings on the other hand are the most important thing to consider IMO. If you dont have "good" bindings your feet will get sore and uncomfortable very quickly making for a bad time. I tried out some CWB Factions w/ hinge tech this weekend and they kicked @$$. I will be buying a pair to put on my O'Brien board. Dont get suckered in to the HYPE of Hyperlite.

RexDog1
07-26-2006, 06:31 PM
O'Brien does make some pretty "cheap" boards but they also make some pretty good boards. If you want to spend the money on a HYPErlite thats cool, but you can get just as good of a board for alot less cash. There is no need to get a hyperlite as an entry level board. Now bindings on the other hand are the most important thing to consider IMO. If you dont have "good" bindings your feet will get sore and uncomfortable very quickly making for a bad time. I tried out some CWB Factions w/ hinge tech this weekend and they kicked @$$. I will be buying a pair to put on my O'Brien board. Dont get suckered in to the HYPE or Hyperlite.

I 2nd that

I have CWB Zeus Hinge Bindings

They Do Kick A$$
If your feet hurt when you ride, it is NO FUN

rcnjson
07-26-2006, 06:53 PM
One of my friends bought a Liquid Force Search (1)35 off ebay. Very nice starter board. Here's why, it is a decent board even though it is the low end LF board. It has open bindings (adjustable) so anyone in the boat with 2 feet can use it. It was cheap on ebay, under $2 honey delivered, and these deals still exist today. We all tried it last Saturday, everyone got up and had a good time. It was the first time 'boarding for all of us. I will admit I was aprehensive at first, I am kind of a stick in the mud, and I like skiing. After it got rough I said what the hey and put it on. So it really was a lot of fun. We are going up north (I think that is a 'sconnie term)((I think that 'sconnie is also a 'sconnie term))(((It means Wisconsin))) this weekend so I should get a lot of practice. Should be fun.
k

JohnE
08-02-2006, 10:37 AM
I bought a Hyperlite Motive (I think that's the name) with lace up bindings from Wiley's for $250. It's unbelievable compared to what we had. I never meant to knock O'brien. I was surprised actually that they made something that was so poor. I have several O'brien ski's.