PDA

View Full Version : Who rebuilds these starters?

boyd
07-12-2006, 12:23 AM
Just bought my boat (91 Prostar 190), about 3 weeks ago. The starter sounds weak sometimes so I bought a new battery. It still on occasion, sounds weak. I"m thinking maybe the starter needs to be replaced. I looked on the Freq. asked quest. and it says to not use car starters so I looked at SKidim. Wow, those things are high compared to car starters so I thought someone out there may rebuild them. HOwever, with the shipping costs it may not pay. But,.... has anyone done this? Also, I don't know if the previous owner ever lubed the starter or not. I read about this in the owners manual. I wouldn't know what to lube if I got it off. Could this be the problem?
PLease respond to both questions. Thanks. Also, we have a local person who rebuilds elec motors and alternators etc.... does it take a special rebuilder to do marine ones.
BOYD

JimN
07-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Look in the phone book under "electric motor rebuilders" or "automotive electrical repairs". There's usually someone nearby who can do it but make sure it's done to marine spec. If they don't know about Coast Guard regs, go someplace else. If there's a NAPA store, try tehm but I would call around for prices and warranty information. Maybe call a boat dealer or servicer to see where they take them.

Jimmy O
07-12-2006, 10:12 AM
What i was told by a reliable source, is that the only difference of a marine starter to an automotive starter is that the marine starter is sealed at the seams to prevent moisture, otherwise they are the same. You can seal the seams yourself. Exchanged mine for $80.00 for an automotive and it was exactly the same and works great. I was also told not to lubricate the gear with d-40 or such as it will only remove the grease that is already there. Just my 2 cents.

TMCNo1
07-12-2006, 10:20 AM
What i was told by a reliable source, is that the only difference of a marine starter to an automotive starter is that the marine starter is sealed at the seams to prevent moisture, otherwise they are the same. You can seal the seams yourself. Exchanged mine for $80.00 for an automotive and it was exactly the same and works great. I was also told not to lubricate the gear with d-40 or such as it will only remove the grease that is already there. Just my 2 cents.

They are suppose to be sealed in a manner to help prevent electrical spark that may ignite fuel fumes not removed from the bilge.

torbmi
07-31-2006, 07:55 PM
Just my two cents - I have an 89 Tristar, and I'm guessing it's the same starter. I had mine rebuilt by an excellent shop here that myself and others have used successfully in the past. Everything was fine until the solenoid started to get stuck, which meant that even after releasing the key from the start position, and even after taking the key completely out of the ignition, the starter would crank. Not a happy scenario, to say the least.

Anyway, after much time spent a) on this discussion board, b) on the phone w/the guys at skidim, and c) replacing the solenoid twice, the key switch, and a whole bunch of other stuff I've blocked out of my mind, I bought a new starter from skidim that replaces the old Ford one that my boat (and I'm guessing yours) came with. They no longer make it because it was supposedly a bad design. Anyway, the problem was solved with that. There are a lot of theories about why this happened, and the best anyone could come up with was that the old starter drew too much current, which would cause microwelds in the solenoid to keep it from disengaging. The new starter draws less current, doesn't cause the solenoid to hang up, and works great.

Also - marine parts are marine for a reason, especially high current electrical parts. The reason they are sealed is not only to keep moisture out, but to keep sparks from being exposed to explosive gas vapors. Again, my two cents, but whatever you do, make sure it's a marine starter, or is rebuilt by someone qualified to work on marine starters. Good luck!

Lee Phillips
08-21-2006, 11:16 AM
Does anybody know if the solenoid can be replaced without replacing the starter. This model the solenoid is piggybacked on the starter, so I am guessing that the starter has to be removed to get the solenoid off. The dealer tells me that I can use a replacement from NAPA, as they dont even cary them, they usually sell complete with starter. Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

thanks

Lee

T Scott
08-21-2006, 11:19 AM
Our local Advanced Discount Auto parts sells Marine starters. They have to special order them, but they come next day.

wesgardner
08-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Mine is the "old style" starter which is large and has a solenoid piggybacked on the starter, however, there are two small bolts that allow it to be separated and replaced. The pic is not a very good one as it doesn't show the actual small bolts for removing the solenoid - your starter ++MAY++ be one of the newer, smaller one where I believe you have to replace part of the starter housing??? You can see the solenoid in the pic - it's sorta gold...sorry I don't have a better one

wesgardner
08-21-2006, 12:32 PM
Here's another pic of my starter - this one shows a silver solenoid as I've replaced it (several time)...if you look closely just to the right of the white goop on the starter (that's to keep water from dripping from the cup holders into the starter) you cansee one of the small bolts which allow the solenoid to be removed...sorry I don't have better pics...

Lee Phillips
08-22-2006, 08:53 AM
I removed the starter last nite, and in this newer model, the solenoid is part of the starter housing. What I don't know is if only the solenoid can be replaced or do I have to replace the whole starter assembly. I got two different answers from the dealers in the area. One said I could seperate the two and the other said I needed to spend the $300.00 and buy the whole assembly. I guess my fear is if I replace only the soleniod, bolt it all back in place, which is not easy, and the starter fails, I have to start all over again.

Thanks for the reply

MarkP
08-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Just bought my boat (91 Prostar 190), about 3 weeks ago. The starter sounds weak sometimes so I bought a new battery. It still on occasion, sounds weak. I"m thinking maybe the starter needs to be replaced. I looked on the Freq. asked quest. and it says to not use car starters so I looked at SKidim. Wow, those things are high compared to car starters so I thought someone out there may rebuild them. HOwever, with the shipping costs it may not pay. But,.... has anyone done this? Also, I don't know if the previous owner ever lubed the starter or not. I read about this in the owners manual. I wouldn't know what to lube if I got it off. Could this be the problem?
PLease respond to both questions. Thanks. Also, we have a local person who rebuilds elec motors and alternators etc.... does it take a special rebuilder to do marine ones.
BOYD
The last time I had an issue I had my alternator re-built at a generator shop. The sort of shop that re-builds alternators, starters. Iím lucky to have a good shop locally, ďEdís Generator Serviceď.

wesgardner
08-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey Lee,

Reading from the Indmar shop manual(for GM based engines), both answers are correct - apparently after making the old style starter like mine they went with a Delco PMGR (permanent magnet gear reduction) which utilizes a housing which must be replaced if the solenoid fails...later on however, they went with a similar set-up but allowed solenoid removal/replacement...this is a PG260 F1 starter...

Hope this helps