PDA

View Full Version : Lake LBJ or Travis

SteveO
07-11-2006, 11:43 PM
The wife and I are looking to get away for a weekend and are looking at Lakeway resort on Lake Travis or the Horseshoe Bay Marriott on LBJ. Anyone have experience with either of these properties? I look forward to your comments.

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Been to houses at both places. I prefer LBJ. Just a bit further from Austin, so slightly fewer weekenders (slightly). I'll be on LBJ (Llano River arm) the weekend of 8/11. I grew up skiing there and it's all sorts of fun.

Now if you're on Travis, head up to the river assuming it's got some water. Not much like it. But it's a pretty good haul by water from Lakeway. Glassy as glassy can be.

Hoosier Bob
07-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Lake of the BJ sounds great but here in Indiana French Lick is about all we get!:D
Hey my smilies worked!

mpmartin
07-12-2006, 12:37 AM
Just spent the weekend at Lakeway Resort. And it is in the top ten places to stay anywhere. The service from the staff was some of the best and i travel a lot. The resort has been redone and the rooms are top notch about $140 a nite. In a few months the waterpark will be done and it will be even better for the kids. Mine is seven. But the bad news is lake travis is down over 20 feet. And we never found water good enough to wake board much less ski. Although we did find a party cove that was not to wild and we drank and rocked out to high school musical and every body had a great great time. Its been a long time since a trip to LBJ but my guess is it might have better water. Try Lakeway Resort . Call on pm me for further info.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 11:16 AM
Just spent the weekend at Lakeway Resort. And it is in the top ten places to stay anywhere. The service from the staff was some of the best and i travel a lot. The resort has been redone and the rooms are top notch about $140 a nite. In a few months the waterpark will be done and it will be even better for the kids. Mine is seven. But the bad news is lake travis is down over 20 feet. And we never found water good enough to wake board much less ski. Although we did find a party cove that was not to wild and we drank and rocked out to high school musical and every body had a great great time. Its been a long time since a trip to LBJ but my guess is it might have better water. Try Lakeway Resort . Call on pm me for further info.

I was afraid that the water level was down. So much for the P-river. Bet it's scary. I've never stayed at the resort, but I used to date a girl whose family had a gorgeous house right on the Lakeway Marina. Gorgeous and faced the sunset. Just found out it is for sale. Hope the new owners don't change the locks. :D

Ric
07-12-2006, 11:40 AM
if you get up really really early at lakeway you can get some good water
after about 10a, hang out in a cove and let the animals and the 1000hp boats have it!

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Exactly. I still remember seeing a pair of cigarette boats tearing it up right out in front of the house. I just knew there wouldn't be two by the end of the day (Labor Day). By the time I got back to my apartment in Austin and turned on the TV, they were on the news.

I'll still add a plug for Horseshoe Bay. Beautiful place!

Ric
07-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Exactly. I still remember seeing a pair of cigarette boats tearing it up right out in front of the house. I just knew there wouldn't be two by the end of the day (Labor Day). By the time I got back to my apartment in Austin and turned on the TV, they were on the news.

I'll still add a plug for Horseshoe Bay. Beautiful place!

I wonder if there are far fewer noisemakers running up and down the lake at $3 a gallon ($5 at the marina)

martini
07-12-2006, 11:57 AM
I vote LBJ, have been out there several times this year(uncle has a house in Granite Shoals). It is a constant level lake and should be less hectic than Travis. Travis is just too low and busy right now.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Last Labor Day, when gas hit $3, we had the lake virtually to ourselves. I remarked that had someone told me I could pay more for gas and have the lake to myself a year before, that would've sounded pretty good. Now, I'm not so sure.

I think it hurts the Scarab owners more than me though.

martini
07-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Last Labor Day, when gas hit $3, we had the lake virtually to ourselves. I remarked that had someone told me I could pay more for gas and have the lake to myself a year before, that would've sounded pretty good. Now, I'm not so sure.

I think it hurts the Scarab owners more than me though.

Yes, but you have to put everything into perspective with regards to the people who own those boats. If they spent that money to buy an engine with a hull, gas consumption is probably the least of their worries. I haven't really seen a reduction in these boats out and as a matter of fact I have seen more on Lake Austin!!! That's scary, when one of these comes roaring up the river.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 12:12 PM
Lake Austin has always been a zoo when we've gone out there. I don't like seeing those anywhere, but on L.A., they just seem like a really bad idea.

martini
07-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah, you can forget about going out to L.A. anytime during the weekend. The only exception being early in the morning and very far north on the river, where the water is still in the 60s-70s. You can usually do this until about 10am and then forget it, just cruise or get off. Weekdays are "okay" and there is good rideable water for the most part. We usually go to Decker Lake in East Austin on the weekends. Never a towboat in site and clear water all over. It is quite warm though, being a powerplant lake.

martini
07-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Another quirk about L.A., is that it does seem to get a lot of "out-of-towners" on the weekend. Can always spot these wallys as they drive their boats on the wrong side of the lake!

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Hadn't heard about Decker Lake. My brother in law just moved to New Braunfels, so he's spending less time on the Austin lakes. The colder part of L.A. is okay, but I was never too happy about wind conditions. Even with the cliffs, the wind always seemed to blow right down the lake. Then you'd turn, then you'd turn again, and more wind.

Have you even tried to put the boat on the Pedernales this year? With Travis's levels, sounds like it's a quick ticket to the prop and glass repair party.

martini
07-12-2006, 12:37 PM
No, I haven't even attempted to go out the P.R. I have driven over it on 71 a couple of times on my out to LBJ and it is a stream at that point, so I decided not to even attempt it this year. Decker Lake is a nice little lake and being where it is in relation to Austin(i.e. east side), not too many people go out there. It is regulated by the city of Austin and is gated all around. Most of the time people are out there just swimming and BBQing.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
We've got one of those around here, too, for a little while longer anyway.

71 is right near Paleface Park, right? That pretty much means no skiing on the Pedernales this year. Oh well.

Ric
07-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Another quirk about L.A., is that it does seem to get a lot of "out-of-towners" on the weekend. Can always spot these wallys as they drive their boats on the wrong side of the lake!If I am wrong about this, call me a wally, but aren't we supposed to stay to the right in that situation?

That lake makes me nervous

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 12:47 PM
When approaching a boat, we stay to the right. When passing a boat going the same direction, we pass on their left.

On our river, everyone stays to one side of center. The folks that run down the other side are referred to as stump happy. :o No offense to my fellow team talker and 205 owner who hit a stump on that side of the river at Johnson's Ranch last season.

martini
07-12-2006, 12:52 PM
If I am wrong about this, call me a wally, but aren't we supposed to stay to the right in that situation?

That lake makes me nervous

Yes, just like driving a car down the road. You get used to it, but I do agree with you, there are times when I am loading and unloading that I want to remove the morons that have no clue about safety or situational awareness, from the planet. Those situations make me nervous and pissed at the same time.

SteveO
07-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the advice. At this point the boat may not even make the 3+ hour trip south. The wife doesn't ski or drive "my boat" (that is her words). Sounds like the Marriot on LBJ is the way to go. Martini, you planning on going that way the 29th or 30th? If I drag the ride down, I maybe looking for a driver.

Harvey
07-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Oh, the dirty perd. We usually take a camping trip down there every year. I bet with the depths of that part you could ski portions of it but you are probably better off at LBJ. Here is what it was like when full.

east tx skier
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Pretty choppy for the Pedernales, Harvey. ;)

Harvey
07-13-2006, 07:14 PM
Actually that is pretty rough, wakeboard wake not included. In the mornings you could see the bugs land on the water from 100 or more feet. Nothing like being able to tell where the bugs land by the ripples in the water. Brings a tear to my eye.

mpmartin
07-13-2006, 07:32 PM
This Is A Pic I Took At The Party Cove On Travis.

mpmartin
07-13-2006, 08:25 PM
Here Is One More Pic Form Travis. More Than Anything I Am Just Trying To Up Load Pics.

mpmartin
07-13-2006, 08:50 PM
This Is Shelby On Travis. Look In The Background And See How Low / Choppy The Lake Is. We Were Told Just A Mile Or So more Was The Good Water. But we did find good burgers and beer.

tex
07-13-2006, 09:13 PM
http://www.highlandlakes.com/resort/

Check out Heart of Texas. It's not a posh resort...just a great place to stay w/no crowds and smooth water for miles. You can just cruise up and down the Llano and Colorodo arms!

slalomskifreak
07-13-2006, 10:53 PM
You guys are killing me. Only 2 years to move to Lakeway from Indy. My father-in-law lives a couple of blocks from the Lakeway Inn. Great place for a vacation, although it was a nice secret. Highly recommended! Love both places LBJ and Travis. Either is good choice. It is nice to see so many in this area, we look forward to hooking up with some ski/wakeboard folk down there. Our youngest one should be at UT or A&M in 2 years.

Peace, like axle grease

Curt

mpmartin
07-14-2006, 12:01 AM
UT has a ski team and about 20k good looking girls , or boys. One trip to lake Travis should help make up his/her mind. See boat ramp bloopers. Also look up Texas ski Ranch.

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Actually that is pretty rough, wakeboard wake not included. In the mornings you could see the bugs land on the water from 100 or more feet. Nothing like being able to tell where the bugs land by the ripples in the water. Brings a tear to my eye.

Yeah, it has nice banks. Wakes diminish quickly. I used to go up there with my brother in law a bit. Good river.

east tx skier
07-14-2006, 12:24 AM
UT has a ski team and about 20k good looking girls , or boys. One trip to lake Travis should help make up his/her mind. See boat ramp bloopers. Also look up Texas ski Ranch.

UT skis over at the lake in Hutto, right? A&M has a team, too. Robert Averyt who is a member here owns Lake Louise where they ski.

If I ever don't live where I do, I'll be in Austin. Go Horns!