PDA

View Full Version : Took the largest roller over the bow EVER!

RobertT
07-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Sunday.

The lake was blown out, at least 3' chop.

Like a moron, I let my niece talk me into teaching her to wakeboard because she is going to a lake this weekend on a "boarding" trip. Its really a teenage fun trip...but anyway.

So I decide the easiest way is to throw the boom on and get her up quick that way, then progress to a handle, then on the long line. No problem, the boom makes it so easy she was up the second attempt.

Then we get to the main part of the lake. Mistake.

I have three kids up front, about 100lbs each.

I have my sister and wife in the observers seat, I am guessing 420 lbs. My wife is 120 tops, so you do the math:-( Poor sis.

Then I had another three in the back seat. Made a nice wake though.

Anyway, I took a few of the typical 2 quart shots over the bow but not even enough to see in the footwell, so far so good.

Then, she goes down and I start the turn to go back to get her when all wakes seemed to merge into a tsunami coming at me at about 2:00.

Quick verification and eye contact with the fallen rider at my 5:00, then hard throttle blip to raise the nose over the roller while turning hard into it.

Well, the boat carved straight into it and somehow, someway, a 1' thick wall of water came up over the windshield and deposited it on my head. I look over at my sister and wife who are both in nice street clothes, looking like drown rats. They just look at me with the same blank stare of disbelief. A 4 second uncomfortable stare, then I say "Boy am I glad you guys were there to keep my seat from getting wet". They didn't think it was funny. At all.

The crazy part was, the bow was still not very wet. I guess I drove the right front of the boat into a curler and took it over the windshield area.

Anyway, for those that take a little water in now and then, thought you might enjoy knowing that worse can and does happen to others.

Great day though.

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 07:40 PM
All this taken place and no one w/ a video camera :(

shepherd
07-11-2006, 08:05 PM
Happened to us once in our PS190, but it was a calm day on the lake and the tsunami came from wakeboard boat that passed about 100 yards ahead of us! :eek: The bow dug in and the water rolled across the closed bow and up and over the windshield. Totally unexpected. The wife wasn't too happy but I thought it was pretty funny -- awesome wake dudes! :headbang:

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
They just look at me with the same blank stare of disbelief. A 4 second uncomfortable stare, then I say "Boy am I glad you guys were there to keep my seat from getting wet". They didn't think it was funny. At all.

Oh man that is priceless!!!!:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme Dude, you couldnt have said anything better if you would have had years to think about it!! AWESOME!!!!! Great one-liner!

MasterCrafting
07-11-2006, 08:47 PM
The nice thing about the ps190 is that it delivers it directly on the drivers lap...do that a few times and you wont do it ever again it makes you learn...In my friends 197 if you burry the bow only the people in the front get wet and the driver gets a good laugh....Moral of the story is...idk

Jerseydave
07-11-2006, 08:48 PM
I just did a similar thing last evening.

9 people in the boat (230VRS), 2 guys up front (350-380 lbs. total).

Pulling a rider who did not get up, I turned back too soon into my own start-up rollers! The 2 guys up front never saw it coming, as they were facing backward looking at the potential rider. I said "you guys are about to get wet" and as soon as I said "wet", the wall of water came over the front! I had 4" of water on the floor, had to open the ski locker and inspection cover on the floor to let the water into the bilge.

I was just happy it was not salt water and no cameras got wet. We all laughed, with someone making a comment about the movie "perfect storm"!

redmike
07-11-2006, 11:09 PM
Buddy (who had never drove a boat) did that to my 190....watched him do it from in the water..all I could say was NO! what are you gonna do? Laughed at his expression though....

bigmac
07-11-2006, 11:24 PM
My wife cleared out the bow seats in a similar manner on Sunday - rollers from the power turn she had just cleared after I dropped. I didn't see the wave, just the foward crew scooting back dripping like drowned rats. Sorry I missed it.

canopyskirts
07-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Great story Robert....I bet it would have been a sight to see.

As far as taking on water....just last weekend my dad had the 24' PONTOON (I know...I know..) out on the lake and of course everyone wanted to sit up in the front half of the boat. When slow cruising that is usually fine and most of the time we are aware of weight placement. Well with a nice front-heavy load they took a massive wave head-on out of nowhere and a solid wall of water came over the front edge of the pontoon. This "wall" of water continued all the way back to soak my dad in the driver's seat. Pretty much the entire deck was soaked and we had never taken on that much water ever on the pontoon. A few nose plows but never a complete wall. Now people will listen to us when we say somebody needs to sit in the back half with the driver in order to balance the load.

Hope your summer is going well.
Todd

ski_king
07-12-2006, 10:45 AM
I mis-judged the rollers behind a tug once. Took water over the windshield at least a foot high and completly filled the bilge. someone standing on shore said they saw my bow disappear and my rudder was out of the water.

BrianM
07-12-2006, 11:15 AM
We used to do that on purpose with our camp '98 190s. Called them submarines. We would turn back into a nice roller that we just sent ourselves let the bow dip down under the roller and hit the throttle effectively pushing the boat further under. If you did it right the driver could duck and not get wet while the 3 ft wall of water landed in the lap of the people in the back seat. Fun times. :D

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 11:18 AM
We used to do that on purpose with our camp '98 190s. Called them submarines. We would turn back into a nice roller that we just sent ourselves let the bow dip down under the roller and hit the throttle effectively pushing the boat further under. If you did it right the driver could duck and not get wet while the 3 ft wall of water landed in the lap of the people in the back seat. Fun times. :D

Note to self, avoid LA camp boats! ;)

j/k Bennett's.

BrianM
07-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Note to self, avoid LA camp boats! ;)

j/k Bennett's.
Actually these were boats at a camp in Maine. Actually besides the fact that we regularly got them wet we took great care of them. At the end of the summer the boats still looked showroom fresh no scratches and since the water was crystal clear the interiors were perfect with no stains or tears. They sold the boats every three years and except for the hours (about 400) they were in awsome shape. I would have bought one.

In fact someone posted one of the '98s that I drove for resale in the marketplace a while back. He added the tower. http://www.tmcowners.com/market/showproduct.php?product=733&cat=5

sanjuan23
07-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Went down on the board last weekend with the wife driving. As I watched her turn right into her own roller I watched the two in the bow jump up for their lives. I guess they were a little more scared than needed. I didnt know how bad it was until I got into the boat and noticed the bilge and ski locker with about 3-4 inches of water in them. She had this really concerned look on her face like she just ruined the boat. Needless to say we worked on turning around to pick up the skier without rollers and throttle bumps.;)

Leroy
07-12-2006, 11:43 AM
WOW, now that's a trick I would like to see!

chudson
07-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Them rollers over the bow are easy to do especially in a low rider like an 81 powerslot, and sometimes they're fun especially when you wanna soak somebody.

peason
07-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Had this happen last week - had a bunch of boy scouts up to the house on their way to camp, most had never done any water sports. I was pulling 2 tubes around - which I hate to do, but considering there were a lot of kids and we wanted to give all of them a chance on the water. Well, anyway I was turning to pick up a rider who fell off and as I glanced in the mirror, one of the tubes was ready to submarine - I let off the gas and took a roller right over the open bow soaking 3 of the kids up front. I haven't done that in years - good thing the next 3 days were dry as a bone so I could get the boat dried out!

RobertT
07-12-2006, 07:56 PM
Great story Robert....I bet it would have been a sight to see.

As far as taking on water....just last weekend my dad had the 24' PONTOON (I know...I know..) out on the lake and of course everyone wanted to sit up in the front half of the boat. When slow cruising that is usually fine and most of the time we are aware of weight placement. Well with a nice front-heavy load they took a massive wave head-on out of nowhere and a solid wall of water came over the front edge of the pontoon. This "wall" of water continued all the way back to soak my dad in the driver's seat. Pretty much the entire deck was soaked and we had never taken on that much water ever on the pontoon. A few nose plows but never a complete wall. Now people will listen to us when we say somebody needs to sit in the back half with the driver in order to balance the load.

Hope your summer is going well.
Todd

Todd, good to hear from you man. My canopy skirts rock! They protect my boat, and make my lift into pretty much a boathouse. I never would have thought it, but we spend a ton of time just sitting in the boat chillin with the back open watching the boats go by and talking/listening to music. I bought a roll of rope lights from Home Depot, and zip tied them up to the supports for my lift canopy. Its a perfect little oasis at night.

The craziest part of it, my Mastercraft is now the preferred place to read and do homework. My kids go down and do their reading in the back seat of the boat while the ski team practices. That would never happen without the skirts. Just thought you would like to know that we love them and that they are as perfect now as the day you installed them. When all of them are dropped, you have a perfect private boathouse.

I would get banned for certain to elaborate, but you would be surprised how many positions a X7 affords a man and woman:) Front surf, back surf, one ski, two, add a board and some lube and its crazy what can happen. Some of the positions hurt more than others, but that sometimes is a good thing (ever try to do a 360 wakeboarding?).

Sometimes less is more, being naked is best!!!! No props necessary. Nothing to get in the way of fun, why mess with a good thing.

I love my new barefoot suit.

Its super important to be flexible to prevent injury, the ability to stretch in multiple positions on a direct drive boat with a tower brings a new level to the game.

Just thought I would share the love....

I know....I am banned.

skitilldark
07-14-2006, 10:15 AM
I do that many times on purpose to clear out the people who love to sit directly in my line of site in the front. Always gets a great laugh. My stereo, however, hates it.

lakes Rick
07-19-2006, 07:12 PM
Heck, thats an everyday occurence with a tristar.....

ski_king
07-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Heck, thats an everyday occurence with a tristar.....
Those Coleman TriStars are know for that even more than the MasterCraft ProStars.

betsy&david Harrison
07-19-2006, 11:40 PM
I do that many times on purpose to clear out the people who love to sit directly in my line of site in the front. Always gets a great laugh. My stereo, however, hates it.
Best way to dry the stereo out is with the wife's hairdryer :) Been there...done that...too many times. B

captkidd
07-27-2006, 10:34 AM
My boss told me about taking a wave over the bow of his 'Bu a couple weeks ago. He was on a very busy lake and wasn't paying attention when he turned around. He said the water was almost a foot deep in the floor, and that he thought the boat was going to sink.