PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded to disk brake axel...Do I need a new master cylinder?

Kyle's_prostar205
07-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I have chaged my axel from a 15" leaf spring axel to a 16" torsion flex disk brake axel. I needed the heavier axel for our long road trips but now I have no braking. The toung slides all the way forward and backward w/o any braking. Where do I find a slim line brake actuator like the new trailers come with. I'm thinking I need an actuator that is designed for a tandem axel becasue the the disk brakes on mine have dual cylinders on the inside and outside of each rotor. So I have a total of 8 cylinder that are requiring fluid. Any body help me out?

Kyle:confused: :confused:

TMCNo1
07-11-2006, 07:10 PM
I have chaged my axel from a 15" leaf spring axel to a 16" torsion flex disk brake axel. I needed the heavier axel for our long road trips but now I have no braking. The toung slides all the way forward and backward w/o any braking. Where do I find a slim line brake actuator like the new trailers come with. I'm thinking I need an actuator that is designed for a tandem axel becasue the the disk brakes on mine have dual cylinders on the inside and outside of each rotor. So I have a total of 8 cylinder that are requiring fluid. Any body help me out?

Kyle:confused: :confused:

Need more info! You don't have year model of your boat/trailer in your profile. There are 2 [?] brands of braking systems MC has used and there are different actuators for drum, single axle and tandom axle applications for disc brakes.

Kyle's_prostar205
07-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Sorry I thought that I had the year and all that on my signature line...my appolijies!!! It is a 1997 Prostar 205. Single axel trailer. It has the original slide coupler that was used witht he old axel which was a 15" leaf spring, drum axel. I now have a 16" torsion axel that is disk brake.The new axel has 8 cyliners total pressing against the disk pads. Thats is what makes me think I need to upgrade to the newer actuator that comes on a tandem axel trailer. I'm sorry again for not being more descriptive.

Kyle

Farmer Ted
07-11-2006, 08:06 PM
UFP makes a couple with an actuator in it, I imagine you could buy just the actuator.

There is a difference between drum and disc actuators.

I can't remember the name of the distributor but you can call UFP and get it.

http://www.ufpnet.com/

Contact Us

135 Sunshine Lane
San Marcos, CA 92069
(760) 744-1610
(800) 854-1905

291 Baxter Lane
Winchester, TN 37398
(931) 967-5101
(800) 835-9211

This is a link for what's probably on your boat right now.

http://www.ufpnet.com/PDF/A60-70Maint.PDF

Ryan
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
If your current master cylinder is in good shape all you really need is a back up solenoid to close when your brake lights turn on and at least a 5 prong wiring harness setup. If it's on it's way out pick up a new UFP a-60 inner member with the solenoid already on it (DHM Trailers) (http://www.dhmtrailers.com/online/home.php?cat=132). I just redid my whole brake system to disc last month.

I'm confused on the # of brake cylinders just by replacing one axle. I may have missed something, I've only known trailer calipers to have up to 2 sylenders per wheel. What brand are your new disc brakes & hubs?

TMCNo1
07-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Sorry I thought that I had the year and all that on my signature line...my appolijies!!! It is a 1997 Prostar 205. Single axel trailer. It has the original slide coupler that was used witht he old axel which was a 15" leaf spring, drum axel. I now have a 16" torsion axel that is disk brake.The new axel has 8 cyliners total pressing against the disk pads. Thats is what makes me think I need to upgrade to the newer actuator that comes on a tandem axel trailer. I'm sorry again for not being more descriptive.

Kyle

I wasn't looking in your signature for the info, sorry!

UFP [Unique Functional Products]is the brand of actuator for your trailer, contact them and they can advise you on what you will need for your new setup. The Model A-60 modified for 2 axles with disc brakes [4] calipers is what is called for in my UFP literature. Be sure to tell them what brand of calipers you are using and the model #.

93Prostar190
07-15-2006, 11:39 PM
My humble opinion is to get a new actuator ... I have done business with UFP on a disc brake upgrade and they sell a fully assembled unit that slides into the trailer ...... it should work great for you.:)

mrG
09-14-2006, 03:44 PM
I contacted UFP about a new A-60 actuator for my 92 PS trailer and they refered me to one of their dealers in Denver who quoted me a price of $159.
Jim's Repair 1-800-865-0339

TMCNo1
09-14-2006, 05:46 PM
I contacted UFP about a new A-60 actuator for my 92 PS trailer and they refered me to one of their dealers in Denver who quoted me a price of $159.
Jim's Repair 1-800-865-0339

Sounds about right at todays prices. In 1997 I paid $131 for a A-60 Actuator with back-up solenoid and $229/pair for the hub/rotor assemblies, calipers and brackets/hardware for our single axle trailer.