PDA

View Full Version : Cover when trailering?

cwright
07-11-2006, 04:06 PM
(1988PS190) My owners manual indicates my Mastercraft cover is "good to protect the interior, and should be used as much as possible, except for when trailering. I have always preferred to cover my boat while trailering. Is the original cover not robust enough to handle the wind lift or something? Do most of you use the factory MC cover when trailering?

M-Funf
07-11-2006, 04:11 PM
I've never towed covered. My understanding is that the wind will move the cover around and tear up your gelcoat/paint.

Cheers!

Ric
07-11-2006, 04:29 PM
I cover when towing ONLY when the weather is terribly bad and I am guaranteed to have a filthy boat when I get to the lake...

As soon as the road dries, I remove the cover again. (for the reasons that mfunf mentioned)

ski_king
07-11-2006, 04:31 PM
If its raining (or snowing) I don't tow.

JohnnyB
07-11-2006, 07:19 PM
I was in the camp of towing with a cover when the weather was bad.....however, I just got done buffing fine scratches out of my gunnels this weekend. My cover will be now limited to mooring and storage.

Any ideas on how I can keep the bug and crap off the upholstry in my open bow???

Leroy
07-11-2006, 07:37 PM
I got a couple of rope rubs from towing with cover on and don't do it anymore. Friend with i/o tows with cover on all the time with no problem, but his ropes go under the boat.

Rixter_69
07-11-2006, 07:49 PM
I was in the camp of towing with a cover when the weather was bad.....however, I just got done buffing fine scratches out of my gunnels this weekend. My cover will be now limited to mooring and storage.

Any ideas on how I can keep the bug and crap off the upholstry in my open bow???

Agreed - I towed with the cover one time on an 8 hour hour to Lake Shasta and it took me a month to buff out all of the rope scratches. Never again!

Johhny - I had a custom snap-n cover made for my open bow and it works great. It protects from bugs and tar and crap and is also a good place to stow the board bags when I'm towing.

The hardest part was to let Lori (of Stiblings Covers) drill the holes for the snaps, but once I got over that, it was cake. Cost me about $250.

Cheers!

theDano
07-11-2006, 08:09 PM
I never cover while towing because of the unecessary beating of the cover against the gelcoat. The longest distance I have towed mine is when I purchased it and drove her 600 miles back to my house. All I had to deal with was a couple of bug splats.

I would pullover to cover if the weather started spitting rain but would try never to travel while it is bad weather. It is pretty much sunny down here all the time so don't have to worry about that too often.

billr
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I never have towed with the cover on, but after a broken windshield coming back from the lake last year makes me wonder if there is something to towable covers. ( $ 2800 )

tex
07-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Never! /

erkoehler
07-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Won't tow any boat with a cover, there's no point.

Footin
07-11-2006, 10:05 PM
If it is raining, I tow with my aftermarket cover with no problems.

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 10:11 PM
It is pretty much sunny down here all the time, so don't have to worry about that too often.Where do you put in?

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 10:42 PM
As the cover ages, it gets dirt in it (no matter if you keep it clean). When you trailer with it on, it acts like sandpaper on your deck. Trailered with mine during 3 rainstorms and it was a pain to polish it out. Some people pad underneath and this may well work, but I'll just dry it out when I get where I'm going if I get caught in a storm.

Tom023
07-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Trailer with my custom cover on for 5 years now without a problem. As long as you have one that fits properly it won't cause damage and it keeps the boat a lot cleaner.

h20_skidog
07-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Are you all referring to the rubs on the gunnels from the cover and/or the rubs from the straps that are used from the cover to the trailer that keep the cover onto the boat?

I've towed with my cover and have NOT had any scratches on the gunnel, however I have noticed some rubs on the sides of the boat where the straps are located when the cover is on.

I first thought that a bumper had rubbed onto the side of the boat...but these rubs are NOT where I place the bumpers. And it does take a lot of "elbow grease" to work the rubs out!

JohnnyB
07-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I guarentee you that if you've towed with a cover regularly, look closely, you've got fine scratches on the gunnels.

The MC Cover I've got fits tighter than any other cover I've owned....they all move a bit with the wind and like others have said, the slight rubbing is like fine sandpaper on your gunnels or other contact areas....

Tom023
07-12-2006, 02:50 PM
I agree, if you tow with the Mastercraft cover you will wind up with scratches, mine does not fit tight at all compared to the cover I had made specifically for towing. The key is to get it really tight below the rub rail, and of course for it to be padded at the appropriate touch points. I've used mine since 2002 and always tow with it on and have no rub marks. I had a few where the bungies touched the side but those were eliminated by using a tennis ball on the bungie.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 02:53 PM
To clarify my post, these are not scratches you can see. I went for a year without noticing mine. Then I ran my hand across the gunwhale/gunnel deck or whatever, and I could feel them. It was unmistakeable.

TMCNo1
07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I agree, if you tow with the Mastercraft cover you will wind up with scratches, mine does not fit tight at all compared to the cover I had made specifically for towing. The key is to get it really tight below the rub rail, and of course for it to be padded at the appropriate touch points. I've used mine since 2002 and always tow with it on and have no rub marks. I had a few where the bungies touched the side but those were eliminated by using a tennis ball on the bungie.

I use 1/2 split tennis balls on all the side straps and on the around the bottom of the cover rope, that ties on the transom. Put some wide masking tape on the gelcoat if you are traveling long distances and wash the tennis balls in the washing machine with towels and stuff, because they will collect dust and dirt that will scratch in the future if not washed.

6ballsisall
07-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Don't do it and never will! And I have a "towable cover"

thijs
07-17-2006, 10:55 AM
What kind of covers are we talking about here? We have two for our PS205. On is a bulky all weather cover which covers the tops of all the gunnels and straps to boat or trailer. Under that one we have one that snpas over the open bow and over the rest of the boats interior. I can't imagine that one causing any damage!!! It is pretty tight fitting with all the snaps and prop bars in place.