PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct engine oil type???

prostar205
07-11-2006, 03:19 PM
I seem to remember MasterCraft changing the engine oil recommendations a few years ago on the L-18. I believe it went from 15W-40 to straight 40W. Can someone verify this for me? I need to change my oil since I've already put 50 hours on the boat this summer.

Thanks,

Tom

PendO
07-11-2006, 03:21 PM
I seem to remember MasterCraft changing the engine oil recommendations a few years ago on the L-18. I believe it went from 15W-40 to straight 40W. Can someone verify this for me? I need to change my oil since I've already put 50 hours on the boat this summer.

Thanks,

Tom

http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=274&forum=274&category=2

This is Mike's post from his website:

Date Posted: Thursday, November 11, 2004, 03:43:33 PM

Effective August 23, 2004, Indmar is changing the oil recommendation for the 8.1L engine. We are now installing Pennzoil Marine SAE 40 Heavy Duty Motor Oil at the Indmar factory in each 8.1L engine and recommend that oil be used by dealers and customers in the field. Engines already in service with 15W40 should be changed over to SAE 40 at the next oil change. This information supersedes the information in the operator’s manual which indicates the use of Pennzoil Marine15W40 for the 8.1L. The 8.1L Big Block engine is known to consume oil during operation, particularly during the break-in period. Consumption of a quart of oil every five hours of operation is not unusual especially during high RPM operation. The use of the straight SAE 40 oil may reduce this consumption. Indmar recommends checking the oil hourly during the break-in period and at least daily after the break-in period for all engines. We also recommend checking the oil more often during periods of high load and/or high RPM operation.

**********We are using Chevron SAE40 in our L-18

slink976
07-11-2006, 03:22 PM
I am still using 15W 40W, I change my oil quite often though about every 15hours. I haven't heard anything about a change in the recomendation.

prostar205
07-11-2006, 03:25 PM
PendO -

Thank you sir. I knew I was close. How is the Lake Coeur d'Alene these days? I had the boat over there last 4th of July but the weather sucked. Hopefully you guys are having a nice summer.

PendO
07-11-2006, 03:31 PM
PendO -

Thank you sir. I knew I was close. How is the Lake Coeur d'Alene these days? I had the boat over there last 4th of July but the weather sucked. Hopefully you guys are having a nice summer.

Yeah, summer is going swell ... the water is 4-5 degrees warmer than normal ... which will be crappy for the milfoil, but it is nice for skiing:) CDA is nice, every year though there are more and more boats out there ... I probably won't take my boat to CDA until after labor day, otherwise I just keep it on the river ... it is a bit more of a drive, so there are fewer walleys:)

ZZMCFOOT
07-11-2006, 04:41 PM
I went my local Mastrcraft dealer on the 4th of July weekend to pick up some 15w40 oil for my boat. When I could not find it on the shelf, I asked if they had any. They questioned what I needed 15W 40 oil for. I said that's what Mastercraft recommends and they said we use 10w30 in all of our boats. I could not believe that a Mastercraft dealer would do this and questioned me for wanting to use the recommended oil. Doesn't the manual specify 15W40 for the MCX engine ?

prostar205
07-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Yes, the manual for the MCX calls for 15W-40. Indmar's web site also calls for 15W-40 in the MCX.