PDA

View Full Version : ignition warning alarm

cwright
07-11-2006, 02:40 PM
My 88PS190 continue to sound it's ignition warning after the key is returned to the run position from the start position. The alarm is weaker in volume and cuts out every so often, but is persistent and annoying. I'Ve checked ground, and pulled the circuit board from behind dash. All apears to be ok. Looks like the alarm is for a multitude of conditions. Anyone know what all is connected to the circuit board to prompt an alarm? My oil pressure is good, my battery is strong. Is it a bad ignition switch? Thanks

cwright
07-26-2006, 05:10 PM
turned out to be low oil pressure. I changed oil using 15W40 with a can of STP and my pressure increased to 30 at idle and 65 at run. Alarm went off. Sending unit is a culprit as well as oil pressure at idle is bouncing. Will buy a new sender to get rid of the bounce, and stick with 15W40 with STP.

bigmac
07-26-2006, 05:27 PM
turned out to be low oil pressure. I changed oil using 15W40 with a can of STP and my pressure increased to 30 at idle and 65 at run. Alarm went off. Sending unit is a culprit as well as oil pressure at idle is bouncing. Will buy a new sender to get rid of the bounce, and stick with 15W40 with STP.

Definitely replace the sender, but if you still need the STP to maintain oil pressure, something else may be about to go seriously wrong. I fear for your rod/journal bearings...

SPT always puts me in mind of the old-timers who used to put nutmeg in their radiator to control a radiator leak.

cwright
07-26-2006, 05:35 PM
10 4 on that. I've never used it but was steered that way from a mechanic that is part of an Formula Ford Race team. His input is that is coats parts and preserves them on start up when all of the oil is sitting in the pan. His team doesn't change oil without it. The bump in oil pressure was just a side benefit.

After I replace sender, and assume that the bounce will go away, I may drop the STP. I, like you, have never been much for additives. I have to say though that a can of black pepper got me home from a camping trip once. makes a pretty effective stop leak.

bigmac
07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
10 4 on that. I've never used it but was steered that way from a mechanic that is part of an Formula Ford Race team. His input is that is coats parts and preserves them on start up when all of the oil is sitting in the pan. His team doesn't change oil without it. The bump in oil pressure was just a side benefit.

After I replace sender, and assume that the bounce will go away, I may drop the STP. I, like you, have never been much for additives. I have to say though that a can of black pepper got me home from a camping trip once. makes a pretty effective stop leak.
I've always tended to confuse Andy Granatelli with P.T. Barnum ... ;)

rektek
07-26-2006, 10:30 PM
the bump in OP was because you changed to fresh oil.
the only thing STP coats is the stores and pockets of stp employees.
many vehicle manufactures are now saying no additives or you
can void your warranty, I tend to agree.

if still uncertain about your op you will have to install a mechanical test gauge and do cold and warm checks.

Jeff

JimN
07-26-2006, 10:44 PM
Don't use the STP. When it burns, it leaves a lot of ash behind that's very abrasive. Why are you adding it to the oil- does the motor have a lot of wear? A racing team can use it and get away with it because they rebuild their motors all the time.

Remember, thinner oil cools better than thick oil. Better to go to 20W or 20W40 or 50. Look for a filter that has better anti-siphon characteristics and you won't have to worry about dry starts.

If the oil pressure is still low with a new sender, consider replacing the oil pump. Scattering a good motor is a bad enough thing, even worse when you're on the water and you can't pull off the road or coast downhill to get home.

cwright
08-20-2006, 01:37 AM
Finally. Replaced sending unit, bouncing stopped, alarm stopped. New oil (15W40) is producing 30 at warm idle and 70 psi at 34 mph. Lesson learned. Thanks for the help.

gguppy
05-25-2010, 07:17 PM
my oil presure is ok and battery plus temp ok . But i just took it out for the first time this year and i have not change the oil yet. note RPM gauge not working right.