PDA

View Full Version : holding up hinged passenger seat

cwright
07-11-2006, 01:31 PM
I own a 88PS190, and the hinged assenger seat has no external means to hold it up. I starting to engineer a solution for this and was wondering if I'm travelling a path already well worn? Would like it to be hidden, and impressive, so the bungie cord to the mirror support isn't quite what I had in mind. Suggestions?

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Mine came from the factory with gas lifting shocks. They are available at a MC dealer for a pretty reasonable price. They may be able to tell you if what they used on a later model would work on your 88.

Kevin 89MC
07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
My '89 PS 190 came from the factory (I believe) with a gas strut to hold up the seat back. I know they changed the seat details in either '88 or '89, so not sure if your is like mine. I can snap a pic if you like. The original shock had worn out, and I put in one from a car parts store (before I knew any better), but it was too strong, so it keeps popping the seat up! I have it off for now. My point being, if you design your own, which shouldn't be hard, don't get too powerful of a strut. The seatback is pretty light. Mine attaches to the edge closest to the driver. The lower mount is almost in the way for removing the battery, and the upper mount is on the top corner of hte seat (when open).
Good luck.

jraben8
07-14-2006, 11:58 AM
My old '87 had the gas shock too. It doesn't have to be very strong at all.

jmac197
07-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Those shocks come in different strengths. I just got 2 20lb shocks from NAPA for my 197's observer seat. I probably need another 10 pounds of lift for when the seat gets wet.

Check the lift capacity of your shocks. You may just need a lighter one.

Later
Jim

SoCalBrew
07-23-2006, 05:00 AM
My two sents on the gas shocks on the observer seat, get something to latch the seat down for when you dont have an observer... mine popped up one time and I hit a wave that threw everything a little sideways, and the seat broke off the hinge. :) I really like how easy it was to lift up the seat, and that it stayed up while I was digging, but didn't even think about it popping up on it's own when someone wasn't there. A guy named Mike Boggs refurbed my MC, and he seems to be very familiar with the "shock" process...