PDA

View Full Version : weak bow eye

cwright
07-11-2006, 01:17 PM
My bow eye looks like it wants to come out of my hull (88 PS 190). It was pulling away from hull about 1/4" and has cracked the fiberglass immediate adjacent to the flat strip. After tightening the bow-eye nuts inside of bow, I realize I'm pulling the bow eye through my hull. I suspect the 2X2 support has some rot in it. I'm making a bigger steel "strong back" for support from the inside, but I'm not sure what to do about the weakenss from the fiberglass side of things. Have any of you corrected this problem? Looks like my boat had an over zealous strap tightener at one point.

Also, trailer has the old metal strap and slot that requires two people to trailer. Total PITA and requires way too much throttle to get it into position. I'm thinking of converting to a boat buddy. Is the end all it appears to be? Any do it yourself pointers on installation for circa 1988 trailers?

jayderwin1
07-11-2006, 01:28 PM
my 86 has that same problem is that from people putting to much presure on the strap?

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 01:32 PM
My bow eye looks like it wants to come out of my hull (88 PS 190). It was pulling away from hull about 1/4" and has cracked the fiberglass immediate adjacent to the flat strip. After tightening the bow-eye nuts inside of bow, I realize I'm pulling the bow eye through my hull. I suspect the 2X2 support has some rot in it. I'm making a bigger steel "strong back" for support from the inside, but I'm not sure what to do about the weakenss from the fiberglass side of things. Have any of you corrected this problem? Looks like my boat had an over zealous strap tightener at one point.

Also, trailer has the old metal strap and slot that requires two people to trailer. Total PITA and requires way too much throttle to get it into position. I'm thinking of converting to a boat buddy. Is the end all it appears to be? Any do it yourself pointers on installation for circa 1988 trailers?

In the FAQ thread, BriEOD has posted pictures of his conversion to boat buddy.

cwright
07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
Thats my guess. I think it comes from a misunderstanding of the straps intended purpose.

cwright
07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
went digging last night and found dry rot between the outer gel coat and the inside layers of glass. So far I've ground an access hole through the glass (from inside the bow) and am shopping today for a semi fluid resin that will harden. My plan (having fished out all of the punky wood) is to fill the void with resin, let it harden with bow eye in place and tighten bolts down against it. Will let you know if it all comes out. Note to others, make sure your silicone bead around bow eye is in good shape. Don't know for sure how this thing got rot as I've just acquired the boat, but obviously was getting water when it shouldn't have been.

bigmac
07-13-2006, 11:34 AM
went digging last night and found dry rot between the outer gel coat and the inside layers of glass. So far I've ground an access hole through the glass (from inside the bow) and am shopping today for a semi fluid resin that will harden. My plan (having fished out all of the punky wood) is to fill the void with resin, let it harden with bow eye in place and tighten bolts down against it. Will let you know if it all comes out. Note to others, make sure your silicone bead around bow eye is in good shape. Don't know for sure how this thing got rot as I've just acquired the boat, but obviously was getting water when it shouldn't have been.

If it was me, I'd lay in a couple/several layers of fiberglass rather than just filling the void with resin.

Evan Jones
07-13-2006, 11:43 AM
Minwax makes a product called Wood Hardener that is very liquid. It is the consistency of paint thinner. You can find it with the wood putty in most hardware stores. I would reccommend using that before you fill anything. It will repair any dry rot and you should be all set.

WilliM1940
07-13-2006, 12:34 PM
There are several blurbs here that show the adaption of a taller winch post in place of the low mount. This is if you are like me and prefer to winch into place. The old mount pulls down as the boat tries to move up the v chock. A real stupid design causing way too much tension on the bow eye. I have noticed the same condition at the bow eye on my '85 that you have mentioned.

Kevin 89MC
07-14-2006, 12:38 PM
I converted to a Boat Buddy, glad to get rid of that bar. You can kinda see it in my picks, but essentially it is designed just like the later model trailers. Not much to it, get some tube & plate steel, find someone who can weld & bend it, get a sawzall, grinder & some paint, and you're good to go.

I think I'll have a look at my bow eye tonight. Thanks for the PSA!
Kevin

Hunterb
07-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I noticed the first time I took my boat out of the water that if you tighten the bow strap up before pulling the boat out of the water it creates enormous pressure on the strap. What I do now is get the bar through the eye, which is a pain, and then attach the strap loosely and pull the boat out. Once out, I adjust the strap tension. That bar is a pain for sure. Luckily I only pull my boat out ocassionally during the season. If it was a regular occurence I would get a boat buddy.

Good luck, and please post some pictures of the conversion if you go that way.

Bruce

cwright
07-15-2006, 08:51 PM
Well the mini-project is finished. Ground punky wood out of the fiberglass pocket created beteween gelcoat and fiberglass sheets inside of bow. Ground access holes from inside the bow. Used West products marine resin, hardner and thickener. Basically filled cavity and pushed it into area with a popsicle stick. Had tape over holes on outside of hull. Pushed it in and worked it to ensure a tight pack. Hardened up on me really quick. Let sit over night, drilled holes for bow-eye and put it back. Had to sand the 2X4 inside of bow to make flat and to restore original height as the lifting eye device is not adjustable. Finally got it all sanded (wear respirator) and bolted it back together. Resin is rock hard and allowed me tighten the bolts to full tightness. I also had to do a gelcoat repair to spider cracks on gelcoat around bow eye. Buffed it all with electric buffer and polishing compound, applied genrous amount of maring silicone and finally finished.

Note to other owners. It wouldn't hurt to inspect your boweye for silicone sealant. If you don't see any at all, I would remove boweye, apply sealant all around and even in holes, and re-install, Properly sealed, a bow-eye should never get punky

Kevin 89MC
07-19-2006, 02:16 PM
Cool - any pics of the process?

cwright
07-22-2006, 06:31 PM
no. screwed up not taking photos. Sorry.

Front metal strap program has got to go though. Heading for a boat buddy.