atlfootr
07-11-2006, 09:20 AM
How Old Is To Old To Drive?
Let 'er rip :rant:

Health Advice: Driving Concerns
LYNDA SHRAGER
c. 2006 Albany Times Union
Distributed by The New York Times Syndicate

One day my 80-year-old grandmother pulled her car out of a side road, overshot the median and drove down the wrong side of a four-lane divided highway.

She told us afterward she knew she was in trouble when everyone seemed to be going the wrong way but her. Getting older does not necessarily mean your driving days are over, but it is imperative that you and your family members know when it's time to limit driving or stop altogether.

Photo: James Estrin/The New York Times
Driving instructor Morton Morrison, 94, driving in Danbury, Conn.
Morton teaches the elderly a course on how to drive safely.

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 09:24 AM
How do you know when it's time to consider limiting or stopping driving?

More frequent dents, scrapes, close calls.

Difficulty staying in your lane, judging gaps in traffic at intersections and on highway entrance or exit ramps.

Feeling uncomfortable or nervous when driving.

Noticing others are honking at you frequently.

Getting lost more often or having difficulty concentrating.

Difficulty understanding or reacting to road signs and pavement markings.

Difficulty turning your head to back up or change lanes.

Slower reaction time -- difficulty moving foot from gas to brake or confusing the pedals.

Feeling like cars or pedestrians come "out of nowhere."

Others don't want to drive with you.

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 09:36 AM
I do half of these on the list already, and I'm only 42. :o

billr
07-11-2006, 09:46 AM
My 83 year old mother was telling he doctor that she was constantly running into the curb when making a right hand turn. That was the only problem she had while driving. ( Yea!! ) He said no more driving. Thankfully we did not have to take away her car ank keys, just had to abide by the doctors orders..

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-11-2006, 09:47 AM
I have a cousin thats a cop and he has problems with "old" drivers. He said people over age 65 should be tested daily for their license:uglyhamme He thinks old people should all walk to the DMV every morning, pass the test, and then they can drive for that day only. He is a bit prejudice as he actually got hit by an elderly woman that was driving a car by him as he was directing traffic at the scene of an auto accident. He was ****ed off at her and wrote her for every ticket he could within the law after she drove into him. He went right up on the hood and nearly rolled off the other side before he stopped. Think about it, if you drive your car into a police officer wearing a brite orange vest standing next to a brightly colored tahoe with flashing red and blue lights all over it, you got every ticket coming to you. If he could have, he would have thrown her in jail, but he couldnt find a reason. He was just very angry because the woman had NO business behind the wheel of a car. the funniest part was the old woman took an attitude with HIM over it!!! she got mad because he was standing there.:eek3: :uglyhamme as my dad always said,"old people are a trip."

chudson
07-11-2006, 10:18 AM
My Mom is 85 and I couldn't hold her down with an anchor. She lives just across the driveway from us ( we live in the country ) and just about every time I look out my front room window at her garage she is either coming or going to a concert or some other blue hair event. She just started using a cane about a year and a half ago and she mowed her own yard up till then ( a rider mower ) and I felt she should not be doing that any more. It took my brothers and sisters and I a while to convince her that she shouldn't be doing that, she stopped reluctently. I guess my point is to not lump all the old folks together some are still going strong and are good drivers. And remember, young farts turn into old farts.

Leroy
07-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Well Rob, hasn't taken you long to get acquainted with the local grays! Welcome to Florida!

College friend that was living in West Palm had a guy run into him at an intersection, the 85'ish guy gets out and proceeds to cuss him out for being in his way and then immediately turns around and takes a piss in the middle of this busy intersection.

He said this was pretty normal around there....

07-11-2006, 11:42 AM
yea, yound farts become old farts. your correct. I can see all of us now in the old folks home with our fogged over old person stories. Telling the the young janitor at the old folks home "dammit boy, when I was your age, I was skiing 6 bouys at 56 OFF @47 MPH!! We Were SKIERS BOY!! I could barefoot so good that I would take the rope and dive off the boat and do a back deep from 17 feet under water on one foot with my sunglasses still on my head!"

07-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Well Rob, hasn't taken you long to get acquainted with the local grays! Welcome to Florida!

College friend that was living in West Palm had a guy run into him at an intersection, the 85'ish guy gets out and proceeds to cuss him out for being in his way and then immediately turns around and takes a piss in the middle of this busy intersection.

He said this was pretty normal around there....
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme OMG thats hilarious Leroy!!!

NeilM
07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
My granddad voluntarily turned in his license on his 80th birthday -- didn't stop him from driving on the farm, but he no longer wanted to be tempted to drive on public roads.
I dunno -- it's going to be a hard decision for all of us at some time in the future.

Atlfooter - the list -- me too -- but t's mostly getting complacent, which is a real risk..

billr
07-11-2006, 12:57 PM
I have a 94 year old aunt who was involved in a hit and run two years ago ( She was the victim ) She pulled in a store parking lot, surveyed the damage, and went back home. When asked why she didn't call the police she responded, "I was afraid they would tell me a 92 year old shouldn't be driving."

07-11-2006, 01:22 PM
I dunno -- it's going to be a hard decision for all of us at some time in the future. ya know whats gonna be the hard decision, when to stop skiing! at what point do you stop? do you risk injury and keep skiing during old age? I want to ski as long as I possibly can.

tommcat
07-11-2006, 01:30 PM
I see the problems with them all the time. as a tech for a Ford dealership i see plenty of vehicles in here to get looked at for the accelerator pedal sticking. which of course can never be duplicated and the entire vehicle checks out fine. then of course when the old person comes to pick up the car we watch them, most of the time you'll here the engine revving as they are fighting with the shifter to get it out of park because they are pushing the wrong pedal.

another good one is the old people who arent strong enough to turn the steering wheel to get the ignition to unlock so they can get the key to turn. if you cant turn the wheel you shouldnt be driving.

we've even had 3 people hit the building as they were trying to drive into our write up area. they have to drive through a 10 foot wide door to get in and cant even do that.

chudson
07-11-2006, 02:03 PM
[ya know whats gonna be the hard decision, when to stop skiing! at what point do you stop? do you risk injury and keep skiing during old age? I want to ski as long as I possibly can.]

My Dad passed away in 1980 at 61 and he was waterskiing and snow skiing up to the last year he was alive so my motto has been "you can bury me when you can pull the handle from my cold dead fingers".

playtherapy
07-11-2006, 02:14 PM
My hubby will be 60 in September. He is still barefootin'! I don't think he has even thought of stopping.

billr
07-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Moderation. My kids don't understand why I quit after such a short run. I tell them I've enjoyed that all I can stand for now. I'll pull them and teach the grandkids all day long.. That's the best part, to see the expression on their faces.

chudson
07-11-2006, 02:45 PM
Moderation. My kids don't understand why I quit after such a short run. I tell them I've enjoyed that all I can stand for now. I'll pull them and teach the grandkids all day long.. That's the best part, to see the expression on their faces.
Sounds great billr, you are right were I wanna be in a few years. I can't imagine it getting any better than that!

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I guess my point is to not lump all the old folks together, some are still going strong and are good drivers.
And remember, young farts turn into old farts.

Well Rob, hasn't taken you long to get acquainted with the local grays!
Welcome to Florida!

He said this was pretty normal around there....I'm alittle further NW of WPBch, but I do know where it is.
We have our fair share around here as well, haven't had an opportunity to see one urinating in the street(s) yet.

However, I was nearly taken out just roughly 20 minutes ago; coming home from Lowes
w/ twenty - two pressure treated 2 x 6 x 12's strapped down on the top my ladder rack.

I was travel'n about 35 mph, in a 40 mph zone -
When this VW Rabbit punches it from my left, off a side street in front of me.
(Photo of Intersection to come later) All I can say is Thank God, for watch'n over us and Thank God again for giving me quick reaction. I swurved right to avoid begin hit. She went left.

The driver pulls frwrd onto the joining side street and I proceed to back up and confront the sitution, and the driver. I couldn't see who the driver was re: age, sex, anything due to the enormous DARK TINT on the passenger side door. For that matter, the whole vehicle was tinted.

We rolled our windows down and I ask'd the driver "what in the **** were you think'n"? :rant:
Not that sex gender is relavent, but for those of you guess'n it was a young aged female.
She was very apologtic, as anyone would be.
I suggested she drive w/ the side window down both now as well as in the future and we went our seprate ways.

I drove a couple of miles further down the road, pulled to check my wood. A guy pulls up in truck w/ his buddy, says we saw the whole thing from the cafe's parking lot - "nice move ya made" avoding an accident.

I was a bit shaking, but not stirred.

Tom023
07-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Didn't take my mother's keys away from her when it was time for her to stop, we just sold her car and now she doesn't remember where she parked it.

milkmania
07-11-2006, 03:11 PM
this is an excerpt from my Grandmother's friends & family newsletter from Christmas 1998

I still drive my car and go anywhere I want to. I'm sure the time is coming when "milkmania" will say, "Grandma, give me your car keys." But, I will try to be graceful about it. I sure don't want to give him any problems. My Parkinson's Disease is pretty well under control with medication and vitramins.

and she used to be a transit bus driver for the City of Los Angeles:eek:

Leroy
07-11-2006, 03:19 PM
My 84 year old mom gets around just fine! Goes to the square dance every saturday night and dances all night long!

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 03:25 PM
Didn't take my mother's keys away from her when it was time for her to stop, we just sold her car and now she doesn't remember where she parked it.Sounds like a classic episode from, Seinfield.

The Parking Garage
Episode Number: 23
Season Num: 3
First Aired: Wednesday October 30, 1991

After Jerry, Elaine and George accompany Kramer to buy his new air - conditioner,
once they arrive back at the under-ground car parking garage to get into Kramer's car,
all four of them have forgotten where Kramer parked.
Everyone separates to try to find the car in a huge parking garage.