PDA

View Full Version : Electrical

xbrdr1
07-11-2006, 08:32 AM
2001 XStar with LTR motor.
Normally all gauges work fine.
First experience with the issue was after running more than an hour, I lost the temperature gauge. (sits at lowest reading...80?)
Stopped for skiier, restarted...it still didn't work.
Next time out temp gauge, and all others, work fine.

Next several times out..all is well.

Then, this last weekend..I lose the oil gauge (sits at lowest reading)
I stopped to check oil level...it was fine.

I checked connections at battery and strip terminals.

Tom023
07-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Most likely the MDC box (black box on the driver's kick panel) is bad or not properly grounded. I believe there was a service bulletin to change the ground on the box. The early boxes had problems but I think the revision "E" or later box is the one you want (I'll double check mine and post the letter). That being said, after a new box, my gauges still would act up and it wasn't until I replaced all of them did they work properly. The new gauges had a "revision B" sticker on them, so some sort of change was made. On my 2001 LTR, this is my second year with all new gauges and haven't had one gauge drop out.

One way to diagnose if it is the gauge, if you have perfect pass installed, is that you will have an extra gauge connector up under the dash that used to be connected to the gauge the PP replaced. Get a new temperature or oil pressure gauge, whatever one acts up the most and connect it to this connector. When the one in the dash drops out, check the one under the dash and if it is working, you know the dash gauge is bad. Make sure all the connectors, including the one in the PP box, are tight. It does not matter which connector goes to which gauge, they all get the same signal.

Dealers have some sort of electronic diagnosing equipment but it never worked for me and it's impossible to duplicate the problem running on the hose.

More info in http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4708&highlight=revision

Harvey
07-11-2006, 01:43 PM
I had the EXACT same problem. I use to own the same boat with the same motor. It was a ground problem exactly as Tom describes. The dealer gave me the bulletin for the fix and I would have done it myself as it looked like an easy fix but I was short on time and had them do it. Once fixed it was never a problem again.

xbrdr1
07-11-2006, 05:58 PM
Thanks Tom and Harvey...great info.
Harvey, did you have to replace gauges as well...or just the black box fix/ground?

thanks again.