PDA

View Full Version : wieghting an X-30 to surf

tcosta.2
07-10-2006, 10:35 PM
I have a 2004 X-30 I surf goofy but no matter what I do I cant get a good wake so if I want to surf I have to ride behind my friends enzo I spoke with a few people they say MC wont change anything to help this for fear of losing the ski wake, as of this time I have my boat up for sale and will look into buying a centurion does anyone have any Ideas of an easy fix to get a good wake out of this boat I hate to lose the quality of a MC just to get a good wake

blackbeauty02
07-11-2006, 01:24 AM
you shouldn't have a problem. i have a 92 prostar 205 and we just put enough weight on one side and i was able to get up and throw the rope in for a good 5 minutes.

prostar205
07-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Since you surf goofy footed (right foot forward) you will surf on the driver's side of the boat. The reason the driver's side of the boat does not produce as good of a surf wake when compared to the passenger side (assuming the wieghting is the same) is because of the underwater gear setup. The prop on your X30 is a left hand rotating prop - meaning the left side of the boat (passenger side) is going to produce a better wake. This is because of the rotation of the Chevy engine. Now, if you go to a Ford based engine in a boat (say a Nautique) they use a right hand rotating prop which will give you a better surf wake on the drivers (or right side) of the boat.

Regarding MC's comment that they won't change anything about this hull in fear of losing the ski wake, these X30s do not have a ski wake. They are horrible to ski behind.

I have owned a PS190, PS205 and now an X30. I don't even try to ski behind my X30 - just surf and wakeboard.

djhuff
07-11-2006, 09:46 AM
Used to do it all the time with just 500 lbs on the back seat and about 4-5 ppl in the boat on that side. I found it easier to drive that side anyway since I didn't have to sit in the observer seat and reach over to the wheel.

Make sure you have some weight up front. I used to leave the KGB full and put one smaller person up there.

I personally can't believe you are having enough trouble that you are considering selling the boat to fix it. Get someone out with you with some experience weighting several different boats and about 6-8 people. Get the wake right by moving people around, then note where they are and use this info to place your water/lead. You can make this work.

corey
07-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Try a different speed as well. I've surfed behind a moomba at which we HAD to go no faster than 8 mph but behind a 2000 X-Star any slower than 11 is just to mushy.

tcosta.2
07-11-2006, 01:34 PM
thanks for the help at this time I fill the stock rear tank on that side I fill the center I have 800 pound under the front seats and add 800 pounds in the back storage area but I usually only have 400 pounds of people should I move some wieght to different areas I am running at about 9.5 to 10 mph

DJHUFF do you like the X-2 does it put out a good wake

DanC
07-11-2006, 01:57 PM
should I move some wieght to different areas I am running at about 9.5 to 10 mph

If you are trying to surf the driver side of the wake (goofy footer toe side) you will need to weight that side of the boat as much as possible, lighten the front more than you would for wakeboarding, more like about 33% in front, 66% in the rear, and run about 2 mph faster than you would for a regular footed passenger side wake, probably around 11 mph on your boat.

All boats have little harder time getting a good surf wake on the driver's side (Nautique on the passenger side)

Also make sure you are in water that is at least 12 feet deep. Any less and it will start to knock down your wake.

tcosta.2
07-11-2006, 02:10 PM
is it worth it to change prop rotation or can it even be done?

prostar205
07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
The rotation of the prop has to be matched to the rotation of the engine. If you want to change from a left hand rotating prop to the right hand rotating prop, you will need a clockwise firing engine (Ford). The Chevy engines rotate counter clockwise which matches up with a left hand rotating prop. At least that is how I remember it.

vinniep
07-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Have you considering switching your riding style?

tcosta.2
07-11-2006, 03:30 PM
if I was that talented I would just get sponsored by someone else

djhuff
07-11-2006, 06:03 PM
I agree on a little quicker, might help a little. with that much weight, there should be no problem. Just for giggles, try filling the opposite side factory tank. You have enough weight to keep the lean on that side, but all the weight up front could be messing with you a little. adding some to the back might change the attitude of the boat just enough.

Yea, love the X2, great wake (doesn't surf quite as well, but is still rideable with a fairly large sweet spot) the best thing about the new boat is that I am getting much better pop with less weight, and I'm not the only person in my group to notice that. Wake is not as big as the 30, but the shape is so much nicer. Riding buddy has an 04 VLX that is dialed in great and he says my wake is his second favorite (obviously he likes his boat the best) but had his best run all year last weekend behind mine.