PDA

View Full Version : Clarion '03 remote unit compatible with newer clarion head units?

excetara2
07-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I was planning on replacing my '03 Clarion head unit with a newer one but I wanted to make sure it would work with my remote that is already in place. If not, I was wondering if any one has installed a head unit and just used a regular remote. Like a car head unit. Thanks a lot.

DanC
07-10-2006, 08:05 PM
I was planning on replacing my '03 Clarion head unit with a newer one but I wanted to make sure it would work with my remote that is already in place. If not, I was wondering if any one has installed a head unit and just used a regular remote. Like a car head unit. Thanks a lot.

The '03 remote is not compatible with the newer units.

I installed a Sony auto head unit, Sony wired remote and also use the Sony infrared controller.

SkiDog
07-10-2006, 08:17 PM
The '03 remote is not compatible with the newer units.

I installed a Sony auto head unit, Sony wired remote and also use the Sony infrared controller.

Yes it is! I JUST reolaced mine with A Clarion CMD4 and my rear remote DOES work!

DanC
07-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Skidog,
I stand corrected.
Some of the XMD1 wired remotes will work with the CMD4.

SkiDog
07-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Skidog,
I stand corrected.
Some of the XMD1 wired remotes will work with the CMD4.

What is the difference between a XMD1 & CMD4? Other than the CMD4 is sirius compatable.

BigBarney
07-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I jumped from a XMD1 to a CMD4 and had to replace my rear remote. I didn't mind, because I was adding a remote up front, so I wanted it all the same. CMD4 is Sirius ready (tuner built in - but you will still need the Sirius satellite and controller). Big difference for me was the CMD4 has fewer buttons. I love the one large knob to control volume. Just a cleaner unit IMHO.

DanC
07-10-2006, 10:10 PM
What is the difference between a XMD1 & CMD4? Other than the CMD4 is sirius compatable.

Besides all the control differences

XMD1 vs CMD4
C-BUS vs CeNET (this is what threw me on the remotes)
2 sets line level RCA outputs vs three
no I-Pod control vs I-Pod control with optional interface
45w x 4 vs 53w x 4
and the CMD4 is smaller than the XMD1

excetara2
07-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Sounds good. Guess I will try to find out. Do a lot of companies come with wired remotes. I could get a different company like sony. I didn't know anyone else came with a wired remote. Thanks a lot.

DanC
07-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Do a lot of companies come with wired remotes.

Sony, JBL, MB Quart, Kenwood, Pioneer....... have wired remotes as well as a bunch of marine brands like Poly-Planar.

SkiDog
07-11-2006, 06:16 PM
I jumped from a XMD1 to a CMD4 and had to replace my rear remote. I didn't mind, because I was adding a remote up front, so I wanted it all the same. CMD4 is Sirius ready (tuner built in - but you will still need the Sirius satellite and controller). Big difference for me was the CMD4 has fewer buttons. I love the one large knob to control volume. Just a cleaner unit IMHO.

I,too, love the LARGE volumn KNOB! And yes, its a bit smaller, so now i've got some holes to plug somehow!:mad:

excetara2
07-11-2006, 09:13 PM
I called and found out what is and isn't compatible. The one without LCD is compatible. The one with LCD isn't compatible with newer units. One thing doesn't work on the non LCD. That is the mute button when am/fm is on. THanks a lot.

-Jeff

matgyver
07-12-2006, 03:19 PM
The older LCD units will work with the CMD4--at least mine does. I have the oval LCD remote with the CMD4 and it works fine--all buttons, even mute. Clarion made some of the wires that go from the remote to the HU without all the pins wired to save money, which is why some people have been able to use the LCD display and some have not. There was a thread on Wakeworld awhile back that addressed this issue.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/282126.html

I found one of the thread that talk about compatibility but not the thread that talked about the wiring.

Hope this helps

BigBarney
07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
SkiDog,

Clarion makes a faceplate for conversion from the XMD to the CMD. It fills up the gaps. I had a devil of a time finding one. Finally called Clarion direct and bought one.

SkiDog
07-13-2006, 11:59 AM
SkiDog,

Clarion makes a faceplate for conversion from the XMD to the CMD. It fills up the gaps. I had a devil of a time finding one. Finally called Clarion direct and bought one.

You ARE the man! I appreciate the info! Will call today.:)

KelBCx9
12-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Did you ever replace the head unit? Did you replace it with the CMD4? Did your remote work? I have a 03 X9 and want to change to the CMD4 but don't want the larger remote. Mine is a smaller round one with LCD readout. Thanks

etakk7
12-27-2006, 07:08 PM
I replaced a Clarion 5645 (or something like that) with a Clarion M455 and was able to keep the existing remote. This was on my 2000 205V. All functions on the remote work except mute after the change.

JBaker
02-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I,too, love the LARGE volumn KNOB! And yes, its a bit smaller, so now i've got some holes to plug somehow!:mad:

Clarion makes an adapter for people who want to upgrade from the XMD units to the CMD4. The part number is CM-ADAP-R. It is a very clean black anodized aluminum panel that mounts behind the CMD4 and it covers those holes. Fairly cheap (15-20 bucks.) You ought to be able to pick one up on the web or any West Marine, Boater's World or Overton's can order one for you.

All Clarion non-display remotes are compatible with the CMD4. Only the M201RC and M202RC display remotes are not. The only issue you will have with old remotes is that the mute button will not function in FM/AM mode.

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Will the remote 6 disc cd changer work with the cmd4 head unit. I mean the one with my old head unit??

JBaker
02-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Will the remote 6 disc cd changer work with the cmd4 head unit. I mean the one with my old head unit??

It will, but you will need the RCB-138 adapter.

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2007, 11:52 AM
It will, but you will need the RCB-138 adapter.

Thanks for the info, any idea where to get one.

JBaker
02-22-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info, any idea where to get one.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l020oGez7yr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=rcb%2D138&i=020RCB138

Also any Clarion dealer can order this, but it would be unlikely that they would stock it. Just incase there is a large dealer in your area, check out their dealer finder:

http://web.sa.mapquest.com/clarion/?tempset=search

TX.X-30 fan
02-22-2007, 01:13 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-l020oGez7yr/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=rcb%2D138&i=020RCB138

Also any Clarion dealer can order this, but it would be unlikely that they would stock it. Just incase there is a large dealer in your area, check out their dealer finder:

http://web.sa.mapquest.com/clarion/?tempset=search

Thanks, wow 100 bucks might be better off just replacing the changer.

JBaker
02-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks, wow 100 bucks might be better off just replacing the changer.

Or ask yourself why you are listening to CDs....sorry couldn't resist.;)