PDA

View Full Version : Follow up Survey

NeilM
07-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Well, hats off to MasterCraft. They sent me a follow up survey for my 2002 210 VRS: "now that you've had your boat for a while, what do you think of it and what do you think of your dealer?" It's a fairly long form - legal size paper, both sides, but no room for comments. Well, I couldn't resist including a separate piece of paper in the postage-paid envelope (I wonder if I'll get a reply)::rant:

If a gas gauge in a car can last for 20+ years with no issues, it should be possible to get more than two seasons out of a Mastercraft one.

Find a good location for the Perfect Pass paddlewheel. I’ve got 4 filled holes in the bottom of my boat and I still don’t have a great location for the paddlewheel!

Dash panel is too small – no room for extra gauges

Engineers with smarts should be able to design a durable tower that folds down nicely.

KGB Ballast pumps are an ongoing hassle. This whole system needs to be retrofit. I’d be willing to be a test subject. 1) the pumps should run; 2) the system should be fillable on the fly

Whoever designed the Chinese-puzzle interlocking seats certainly doesn’t have a family and store things under the seats.

It is possible to design the hull in such a way that you don’t have to put hundreds of pounds of extra weight on the passenger side to compensate for torque.

Trim tabs are a must.

No netting to hold wet things (gloves, leg protectors, wet ropes). It’s a water sports boat, for Pete’s sake – wet things to dry out are a fact of life.

Hot shower quit working first season – rust from engine gums it up.

The “V” at the front of the Mastercraft trailer needs a notch to allow the bow eye to pass through without grabbing.. This is a real “oops” in the design.

Need a proper way to stop the ‘trailer brake bounce’ when trailer is unloaded.

rodltg2
07-10-2006, 07:34 PM
dont hold back tell us hoe you really feel :D

jmyers
07-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Rod, did you just call Neil a hoe?:eek:

rodltg2
07-10-2006, 07:37 PM
common you should know my spekling by now!

Leroy
07-10-2006, 07:54 PM
Good list Neil!

I needed the notch in the V last week, when I pulled trailer out then it went over the V, but a notch would certainly help.

NeilM
07-11-2006, 11:30 AM

You know what? No one has ever accused me of keeping my opinions to myself :rolleyes: . But if MC wants to take #1 on the JD Power survey, then they need to pay real close attention to the finer details and overall quality... Toyota kicked the crap out of US carmakers with that approach - MC could do the same.

bigmac
07-11-2006, 11:49 AM
You know what? No one has ever accused me of keeping my opinions to myself :rolleyes: . But if MC wants to take #1 on the JD Power survey, then they need to pay real close attention to the finer details and overall quality... Toyota kicked the crap out of US carmakers with that approach - MC could do the same.Prompted me to look up the JD Power survey for ski boats for 2005.

Here is the link to the JD Power (http://powerboat.about.com/library/weekly/bl_jdpa2_2005bb.htm)site...

:)

Leroy
07-11-2006, 11:53 AM
I looked at this couple of months ago and this is not the picture we all expect to see. Just spending time on here I'm not sure MC deserves 3rd, but there appears to be recurring problems.

Prompted me to look up the JD Power survey for ski boats for 2005.

Here is the link to the JD Power (http://powerboat.about.com/library/weekly/bl_jdpa2_2005bb.htm)site...

:)

3event
07-11-2006, 12:16 PM
If you go to jdpower.com and to the right boats link:

http://www.jdpower.com/boats/ratings/index.asp?v1=6

MC is clearly ahead of bu and only marginally behind CC
MC = 5 4 5 5 4 5

Looks pretty good to me!

G-man
07-11-2006, 12:22 PM

MC = 5 4 5 5 4 5

Looks pretty good to me!

Hummmmmmmm

bigmac
07-11-2006, 12:28 PM

MC = 5 4 5 5 4 5

Looks pretty good to me!

Looks like MasterCraft took a step backwards in surveyed quality from 2005 to 2006, going from a rating of 5 to 4. Malibu fell a point too, however...

André
07-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Hummmmmmmm
Something you'd like to share George?:D

3event
07-11-2006, 12:35 PM
Compared to autos and general pleasure boats, build quantities are small for this segment, it would be very interesting to know sample size. Then you could assess how statistically different these scores really are.....

I agree that it would be nice to see MC hitting 5 in Quality. Ride and handling is tough and probably highly subjective. We have wetter hulls on the DDs and although that makes a difference, I think most MC owners like em just fine. I do. No one's gonna talk me out of it. Besides that, the MCs are clearly the best looking rigs on the water and there's no rating for that!

rodltg2
07-11-2006, 12:48 PM
now dont get all bent gman, but cc get 5 on design and styling.. love the 196's, ski and drive awesome, ugly as h+ll..

kycat2007
07-11-2006, 03:28 PM
The JD Powers thing is somewhat misleading. I have found that if a certain brand wants to throw money for advertising etc, they can increase their status in the rankings. You see this alot in the boat magazines. They will give opinions about all the boats but because there are ads in the mag they will not give a brutal evaluation.

bigmac
07-11-2006, 03:32 PM
The JD Powers thing is somewhat misleading. I have found that if a certain brand wants to throw money for advertising etc, they can increase their status in the rankings. You see this alot in the boat magazines. They will give opinions about all the boats but because there are ads in the mag they will not give a brutal evaluation.The survey is done each year of new boat owners. No amount of advertising is going to convince me that the boat that I already own is better than I really think it is.

The 2005 JDP survey was 12,000 new boat owners. I don't know what segement of that is ski boats, so sample size is in question.

kycat2007
07-11-2006, 05:14 PM
This is kinda what I was getting at:

The firm surveys customers about a product or service. It releases results to the public, but companies buy detailed analyses of how they and their competitors perform. And Power lets the No. 1-ranked companies advertise their scores, for a fee.

"There are two brands worth anything at all in this area, Consumer Reports and Power, and Power is the only one you can advertise," says marketing consultant Dennis Keene. source USA TODAY

Sometimes stuff like this is misconstrued:
General Motors product chief Bob Lutz says Power's rankings have driven automakers to emphasize product quality but grumbles that the surveys sometimes focus on the wrong things.

"Our Hummer H2 lost a lot of points on quality this year because buyers complained about poor fuel economy. With a vehicle that big, what do they expect?" says Lutz. USA TODAY

So like you stated sample size and the dislikes and likes can be manipulated on occassion.

3event
07-11-2006, 05:25 PM
Consumer reports is a great tool for lots of OTHER types of products.

JD Power survey for this small market segment can probably well distinguish the really BAD from the GOOD , but how much more than that is debatable, ESPECIALLY with the paid advertising arrangement.

NeilM
07-14-2006, 01:18 AM
Consumer reports is a great tool for lots of OTHER types of products.

JD Power survey for this small market segment can probably well distinguish the really BAD from the GOOD , but how much more than that is debatable, ESPECIALLY with the paid advertising arrangement.

There's some truth to that. The point is, in general, the boatmakers aren't paying the attention to their customers that they should.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like my MasterCraft, but for the extra coin that it was over any other brand out there, the premium price raises the bar -- I expect more.

Hopefully, MasterCraft sends out those surveys so they can continuously improve their product. They just didn't include a "gripes" section in their survey, so I added one 8p

skitilldark
07-14-2006, 11:10 AM
Well, hats off to MasterCraft. They sent me a follow up survey for my 2002 210 VRS: "now that you've had your boat for a while, what do you think of it and what do you think of your dealer?" It's a fairly long form - legal size paper, both sides, but no room for comments. Well, I couldn't resist including a separate piece of paper in the postage-paid envelope (I wonder if I'll get a reply)::rant:

If a gas gauge in a car can last for 20+ years with no issues, it should be possible to get more than two seasons out of a Mastercraft one.

Find a good location for the Perfect Pass paddlewheel. I’ve got 4 filled holes in the bottom of my boat and I still don’t have a great location for the paddlewheel!

Dash panel is too small – no room for extra gauges

Engineers with smarts should be able to design a durable tower that folds down nicely.

KGB Ballast pumps are an ongoing hassle. This whole system needs to be retrofit. I’d be willing to be a test subject. 1) the pumps should run; 2) the system should be fillable on the fly

Whoever designed the Chinese-puzzle interlocking seats certainly doesn’t have a family and store things under the seats.

It is possible to design the hull in such a way that you don’t have to put hundreds of pounds of extra weight on the passenger side to compensate for torque.

Trim tabs are a must.

No netting to hold wet things (gloves, leg protectors, wet ropes). It’s a water sports boat, for Pete’s sake – wet things to dry out are a fact of life.

Hot shower quit working first season – rust from engine gums it up.

The “V” at the front of the Mastercraft trailer needs a notch to allow the bow eye to pass through without grabbing.. This is a real “oops” in the design.

Need a proper way to stop the ‘trailer brake bounce’ when trailer is unloaded.

I totally agree with every single thing on this list. If MC is going to make such expensive boats, maybe they should consider trying to make them last.

BrianM
07-14-2006, 12:00 PM

If you are hitting the V block with the bow eye you have the trailer backed in too deep. If you put the trailer in shallower this is a non issue.

NeilM
08-22-2006, 02:05 PM
If you are hitting the V block with the bow eye you have the trailer backed in too deep. If you put the trailer in shallower this is a non issue.

Depends on the angle of the ramp. On real steep ramps, it hits.

NeilM
08-22-2006, 02:13 PM
At the start of this thread, I stated "I wonder if I will get a reply":

Well I did. From my dealer. Apparently the survey company contacted MasterCraft who contacted my dealer. My dealer contacted me.

The dealer thanked me for taking the time to provide valuable feedback on the survey and assured me that he and MasterCraft took my recommendations seriously.

So, I have to say, I feel better. I b*tched . They listened.;) Whether or not anything comes of this in engineering changes remains to be seen, but it's good to know that the survey is something more than just "going through the motions".

DanC
08-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Your follow up survey was too late to help me with my 2003 trailer. They put the notch in the front "V" in 2004 :rolleyes: