PDA

View Full Version : What type of case should I get for my ski?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-10-2006, 05:48 PM
OK, for the upcomming pilgrimage to MM2.9876876 this fall I need to take my ski on the plane. I am thinking about buying a case for that so the airline apes dont destroy it enroute. That would do two things

1. wreck an expensive ski, must fork out major change to replace.
2. ruin a great weekend as I would have no ski to ski on.

I am also planning future trips skiing, so this is not just a one time use. I am planning on going SOMEWHERE this winter to ski. so I will use it more than once. so heres the deal. Should I get a hardcase? that seems the best option. pricey, but most protection. I see them for $150 shipped at schnitzskis.com Does that seem like a good deal? his prices seem fair on other stuff on his site. Has anyone ordered from him? anywhere else you can get these cases? any recommendations? any ideas? :confused: :confused: :confused:

SkiDog
07-10-2006, 05:55 PM
OK, for the upcomming pilgrimage to MM2.9876876 this fall I need to take my ski on the plane. I am thinking about buying a case for that so the airline apes dont destroy it enroute. That would do two things

1. wreck an expensive ski, must fork out major change to replace.
2. ruin a great weekend as I would have no ski to ski on.

I am also planning future trips skiing, so this is not just a one time use. I am planning on going SOMEWHERE this winter to ski. so I will use it more than once. so heres the deal. Should I get a hardcase? that seems the best option. pricey, but most protection. I see them for $150 shipped at schnitzskis.com Does that seem like a good deal? his prices seem fair on other stuff on his site. Has anyone ordered from him? anywhere else you can get these cases? any recommendations? any ideas? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Damnnn! Why don't you just get one that fits?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

playtherapy
07-10-2006, 06:14 PM
My hubby and I went to the World Police & Fire Games in Stockholm, Sweden a few years back so he could compete in the barefootin ski games. He carried his ski (67") in a soft vinyl case on board the plane. The flight attendent stood it upright in the front of the cabin....no problem. The hard part came when we rented a car. None of them would hold the ski. Finally we found a Saab that had an arm rest in the middle of the back seat....voila....we folded down the arm rest and put it in the trunk and let it stick through into the back seat.

jmyers
07-10-2006, 06:23 PM
What no poll on this UMP?:D

rodltg2
07-10-2006, 06:33 PM
my ski went to acapulco in its bag and no problems there and back...

07-10-2006, 06:34 PM
well rental car is no problem seeing Mag Red's Limosuine service is picking me up and delivering me to the airport in a F150. Plenty of room for the ski in the F150. ( I assume the F150 is just for my ski and gear and I will be riding in the Caddy limo with fine champagne, foxy female companionship, hors'devours, and a foot massage. );)

So I need a ski case to get me there. I was looking at those hard cases on schnitz. anyone ever use them?

jmyers, no poll on this seeing I have no idea what options to consider. Sorry dude!:o

M-Funf
07-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Some airlines put restrictions on the length of any one object...52" seems fairly typical. Longer than that, you'll have to pay more $$...

I'd go with this:

http://www.perfski.com/servefile.cfm?file_guid=f866b6e5-65b8-bd7b-d8c9-47bcfa9fe54f

Or this if you want a soft padded bag...

http://www.perfski.com/servefile.cfm?file_guid=f8698bb0-65b8-bd7b-d88d-0198b32e758d

You should check out the other stuff they have, too:
Performance Ski and Board (http://www.perfski.com/index.cfm)

east tx skier
07-10-2006, 06:53 PM
I've got a hard case/tube for my snow skis and I'll never go back to canvas or the like. I think I'd feel compelled to do the same were I to fly with my slalom ski.

M-Funf
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
UMP,
When I moved across the pond, I took my ski with me. I put it in the soft case, and then built a "hardshell case" using large diameter ABS pipe with a cap glued on one end, and a threaded cap on the other end. I put a foam tube around the ski and a foam pad at each end. Then I slid the whole thing into the tube and threaded on the cap. I also drilled holes through the threads and out through the cap so I could put in a short cable lock (a gun case lock). Worked like a champ! I've since lost the dang thing...either that or I needed some drain pipe around the house...:confused:

All of these parts should be available at a good home improvement store or landscaping supply house, and it will be WAY cheaper than most of the other options...

I can probably find a picture or draw a picture of it if that would help you make one...

shepherd
07-10-2006, 08:28 PM
I've used a soft case for my ski a couple times. No damage. Picked it up in the "large item" area of baggage claim where they put the golf clubs, etc. Just take the fin off beforehand.

That was years ago. If the airlines are charging now, it might be cheaper to send via express mail (both ways)??? I saved the box and packing that my new Sys 8 came in, which should protect the ski good with either option... Did you save the box that your new ski came in?

rodltg2
07-10-2006, 08:33 PM
that masterline bag looks like a winner. you can fit your ropes, vest etc....too

Maristar210
07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
UMP,
When I moved across the pond, I took my ski with me. I put it in the soft case, and then built a "hardshell case" using large diameter ABS pipe with a cap glued on one end, and a threaded cap on the other end. I put a foam tube around the ski and a foam pad at each end. Then I slid the whole thing into the tube and threaded on the cap. I also drilled holes through the threads and out through the cap so I could put in a short cable lock (a gun case lock). Worked like a champ! I've since lost the dang thing...either that or I needed some drain pipe around the house...:confused:

All of these parts should be available at a good home improvement store or landscaping supply house, and it will be WAY cheaper than most of the other options...

I can probably find a picture or draw a picture of it if that would help you make one...

Yes and a homemade ski case will raise any eyebrows at airport security.:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
07-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Yes and a homemade ski case will raise any eyebrows at airport security.:rolleyes:

The homeland is safe, cause if UMP's ski ain't blown up by now, with or without the fin, it never will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D They need to worry about the passenger wearing a SuperHero costume!:rolleyes:

07-10-2006, 10:44 PM
I imagine I will have to pay a bit extra to fly with it. Its not a big deal, I need a ski, pure and simple. Unless I ship it to mag a week ahead of time. I would rather bring it with me if possible.

tex
07-11-2006, 12:41 AM
When considering what case to buy...I usually pick Miller Lite!

07-11-2006, 09:36 AM
I am gonna look really funny trying to fit my ski into a case of miller lite!8p

Tennesseeski
07-11-2006, 09:40 AM
:toast: You crack me up dude!!:D

chudson
07-11-2006, 10:33 AM
UPS or FedEx may sell boxes that you could put your ski in just for shipping on a plane and it could be reuseable.

Leroy
07-11-2006, 10:50 AM
I've carried snow skiis and snowboard in soft bags for years with no problem. Of course something can always go wrong..... I would think even the cardboard boxes would provide enough protection.

07-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Hmmm.... maybe I should just use my ski bag and see if I can bring it on the plane like someone suggested. My girlfreind flies alot for her job and she recommended this also, that they can put it in the front closet in the plane.