PDA

View Full Version : Around The Boats

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 02:53 PM
After trying to ski around the boats with my dad driving last season, i gave up on being the skier. He just isnt a good enough driver. So after 2 attempts of me driving it, my friend was able to do it. He's alittle crazy though because his ski of choice was a wakeskate with no fins....either way i was pretty pumped to be able to drive it.

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 02:54 PM
head on! ahhhhh

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 02:56 PM
oh cool, i didnt run him over....driving these are pretty scary...

richardsoncd
07-10-2006, 03:08 PM
What are the steps in driving that move? Is it:

skier/boarder cuts wide out to the left,
driver turns towards the rider....

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Um...kind of...its alittle more complicated then that...you should really talk to someone who drives them...i talked to a professional show skier and showed me how to do them....if you do it wrong you can hit your skier or run over your rope and stuff

Davo
07-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Cool pics and nice looking riding spot there....the wakeskate wasn't such a bad choice since they glide perty good.

chudson
07-14-2006, 11:44 AM
That looks real neat, wonder if it would work with a pair of tricks?

#47of100TeamMC
07-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Typically around the boats are done with the skier out to the right. (boat turns naturally sharper to the right and is easier for the driver) At least that's how my brother and I do it. The Little Crow Water Ski team of New London MN. Does a 4 person twice around the boat with 2 going one way and 2 the other. It is unbelievable. The boat drives in a figure 8 or more of an S I guess. I've seen it twice and still can't understand how they do it... I'll have to try and find a picture.

Evan Jones
07-14-2006, 12:03 PM
I've always done it on Jump Skis. The skier gets going pretty slow, and then he has to turn very sharp to change directions.

#47of100TeamMC
07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
Here's a pic in the middle after once around still cutting for the 2nd time around, this is with only 3 skiers. the last time I saw it they had 4. each skier has a different length rope, so they can criss cross underneath each other. Really neat to watch.

#47of100TeamMC
07-14-2006, 12:08 PM
I've always done it on Jump Skis. The skier gets going pretty slow, and then he has to turn very sharp to change directions.

yeah the bigger the ski/board the better to a certain extent... cuz you still need to turn it hard at the end. we usually do it with a slalom ski. But I've done it on wakeboard and it's super easy that way. I think slalom is easier that 2 skis a lot easier to turn.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-14-2006, 12:22 PM
I want to try this. I have got to learn it this year!!!:D

Rockman
07-14-2006, 01:31 PM
I want to try this. I have got to learn it this year!!!:D

UMP,

I'll drive it for ya down at MM2.76 :toast:

barefoot
07-16-2006, 09:33 PM
As the driver, the goal is to take the skier out of the turn in the same line as you took them into the turn with the exception of an “S” like trun. So drivers, going into the turn, you want to crank hard RIGHT into the “hole,” let off on the throttle, crank hard to the LEFT….at this point you’ll see the skier pass you…straighten the boat out, and throttle out of the turn. All goes well, you won’t get decapitated by the line and the skier will ski out of the 360.

As the skier, cut hard to the left and let the boat pull you around. Make sure not to get any slack in the line and hopefully you’ll have enough speed going into the turn that coming out, you’ll be able to ski away without any hesitation. If you do have hesitation, it’ll be like doing a deep water start. No big deal….you’re a good skier that it’ll be no problem

We use to have a pylon higher than the windshield so the line wouldn’t get caught at the corners of the windshield. This allowed for a smooth turn and no “surprise” slack in the line.

chudson
07-19-2006, 04:11 PM
This site has a young guy doin a "Barefoot 360"

http://www.thefootersedge.com/videoclips/index.htm

Davo
07-20-2006, 10:28 AM
This site has a young guy doin a "Barefoot 360"

http://www.thefootersedge.com/videoclips/index.htm

Dang - I guess I've got to download Real Player to view that clip. Lots of pics of Banana George on that site!!!