PDA

View Full Version : Barefooting questions!

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 12:53 PM
1. What on earth is up with the new 197...it felt like i was behind a jet boat!!! Did i read somewhere that MC had a problem and was going to fix it with a wedge?

2. How much of a difference does a "barefoot" rope make? i can see how on deeps it wont stretch when you try to stand up. Any other advantages?

3. Up until this point i havent learned any tricks off the boom. I've learned step-offs, deeps, tumble ups, and one foots without it. All on a 100 foot line. I rode behind a boom for the first time the other day and it seemed kind of lame/easy but i didnt try anything new (back deeps, tumble turns, front to backs, etc.) How much harder would it be to learn those long line? I dont really want to drop 400 bucks on a boom if i can learn without one.

4. What is the advantage to barefooting behind and outboard?

Thats all i can think of for now, i know i had a few more questions but i cant think of them now, so if i remember them i'll ask later. Thanks in advance.

Davo
07-10-2006, 01:39 PM
I believe the outboards are used for footing because they are quicker up to speed and the wake is less turbulant.

The boom is nice because the water is clean and the footer can hold his or herself up. If you're talking about footing off a pig tail (5' section of rope tied to the boom) then the angle of the rope/pull helps...it keeps the rope out of your way on tumbles and it creates some lift. In the same sense, if you pull from the tower long line you will have a slight advantage over just the pylon. The angle of the pull and the turbulance is the reason long lining is harder.

Barefoot ropes are non-stretch for flying dock starts also.

I don't know about the new 197.

jkski
07-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Which year of 197 are you behind? For the most part, I've found that the 197 is a great barefoot boat all the way around. You will spend most of your time in the "wells" just outside the wake, but the wake crossing are very smooth and easy. I typically use a 90' line, it just brings you in to a point where the wakes are bit better for crossing (just my opinion).
As far as a boom goes, I guess the answer is how old are you, and how much abuse is your body willing to take? The boom will allow you to reduce the boat speed significantly, and learn without many of the hards falls that tend to end one's barefooting career early. Yeah, it's easier, but you are just using it to learn, and get the feel for what you should be doing behind the boat. It is also great if you have someone teaching from the boat, you can actually talk to them. You might also invest in a good pair of shoe ski's/barefoot trainers. Again, YEAH, they make it easier, but when start to go for the front/backs and learn back deeps, etc., there is no better way to learn without getting a concussion.
Good luck and keep your toes up!

Rockman
07-10-2006, 02:00 PM
1. What on earth is up with the new 197...it felt like i was behind a jet boat!!! Did i read somewhere that MC had a problem and was going to fix it with a wedge?

Not too sure about any problems to my knowledge. I have heard that the 197 is an awesome boat and has a great wake for footing.

2. How much of a difference does a "barefoot" rope make? i can see how on deeps it wont stretch when you try to stand up. Any other advantages?

Stretch is the main thing you don't want when barefooting...no matter if you are just free footing or doing tricks. The stiffer the rope, the less chance of falling if you make a 1% mistake at something. What type of rope are you using now?

3. Up until this point i havent learned any tricks off the boom. I've learned step-offs, deeps, tumble ups, and one foots without it. All on a 100 foot line.

Wow! 100 foot line!? :confused:

Try cutting it down to 80 feet or even 70 feet. The ride may be a lot better. It really depends on what boat you are behind though.

I rode behind a boom for the first time the other day and it seemed kind of lame/easy but i didnt try anything new (back deeps, tumble turns, front to backs, etc.) How much harder would it be to learn those long line?

It really depends on how good a footer you are. :D

I dont really want to drop 400 bucks on a boom if i can learn without one.

You can use the boom for other things besides footing. It is a great tool to teach almost anyone how to ski, wakebaord, etc. especially the young ones.

4. What is the advantage to barefooting behind and outboard?

Outboard wakes at barefoot speed seem to disappear...at least on ours it does. Outboards have more top end power to pull more footers as well. Hole shots when doing front deeps are not comparable to an inboard...it is very different. You'll have alot less drag

Thats all i can think of for now, i know i had a few more questions but i cant think of them now, so if i remember them i'll ask later. Thanks in advance.

Hope this helps.

CoFooter
07-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Re: the boom for more advanced tricks, I'd highly recommend it. Back deeps are a tough nut to crack. I couldn't imagine learning without a boom to get the basic mechanics down (glide, plalnt, etc). The progression from 5 foot to 15 foot off the boom to 70 ft behind the boat make nailing this start pretty easy. If you decide to learn directly behind the boat, shoot a video for our viewing entertainment.......

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 02:59 PM
If you decide to learn directly behind the boat, shoot a video for our viewing entertainment.......

Sounds like a dare to me!

Davo
07-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a dare to me!

HAHA...you're still a young gun so we won't feel so bad if you get a little banged up. :D ;)

atlfootr
07-10-2006, 03:27 PM
4. What is the advantage to barefooting behind and outboard? Don't even get me started.
For me to even begin to attempt to list the advantage to outboards ... my list would double your question list.

Once you get your arrrs behind one, you'll NEVER ASK that question again :toast:

PS. Lose the 100 ft rope! Normally BFT's limit it @ 75 feet.
Rope lengths of 100 ft are only used behind Bayliners and the such.

atlfootr
07-10-2006, 03:51 PM
3. Up until this point i havent learned any tricks off the boom.
I've learned step-offs, deeps, tumble ups, and one foots without it.
All on a 100 foot line.

I rode behind a boom for the first time the other day and it seemed kind of lame/easy but i didnt try anything new (back deeps, tumble turns, front to backs, etc.) How much harder would it be to learn those long line? I dont really want to drop 400 bucks on a boom if i can learn without one.I didn't read your entire question(s) posting, until after I replied to question #4 re:advanatages of an Outboard.

However, in response to the above #3, you go rt ahead and try some first attempts @ F2B's and BckDeeps longline.
Make sure before you do, your mother call the paramedics. "I dont really want to drop 400 bucks on a boom, if i can learn without one".

Buddy, that's like calling the kettle black! :uglyhamme
You must have a death wish, your not sharing w/ us.

"I dont really want to drop 400 bucks on a boom, if i can learn without one".

First off ... U CAN"T LEARN TRICKS SAFELY w/out a barefoot boom.
Secondly, ... U CAN"T LEARN TRICKS CORRECTLY w/out a bft boom.
Thirdly, ... Hospital's charge more than $400, just to walk through their sliding doors!

Bottom Line; IF YOUR GONNA FOOT, INVEST IN THE CORRECT EQUIPMENT TO LEARN THE SPORT.

DON"T BE CHEAP!

TMCNo1
07-10-2006, 04:16 PM
I didn't read your entire question(s) posting, until after I replied to question #4 re:advanatages of an Outboard.

However, in response to the above #3, you go rt ahead and try some first attempts @ F2B's and BckDeeps longline.
Make sure before you do, your mother call the paramedics. "I dont really want to drop 400 bucks on a boom, if i can learn without one".

Buddy, that's like calling the kettle black! :uglyhamme
You must have a death wish, your not sharing w/ us.

"I dont really want to drop 400 bucks on a boom, if i can learn without one".

First off ... U CAN"T LEARN TRICKS SAFELY w/out a barefoot boom.
Secondly, ... U CAN"T LEARN TRICKS CORRECTLY w/out a bft boom.
Thirdly, ... Hospital's charge more than $400, just to walk through their sliding doors!

Bottom Line; IF YOUR GONNA FOOT, INVEST IN THE CORRECT EQUIPMENT TO LEARN THE SPORT.

DON"T BE CHEAP!

20 years ago a Mastercraft family we knew started to teach themselves to barefoot. First on longline, then to a boom, then back to long line and back and forth, while everyone kept telling them to get some proper instruction at a clinic or at a ski school. About 5 years ago for many reasons they gave up after enduring extreme body punshiment everytime they tried, bruises on their backs, butts, arms and legs. They thought it was funny and thought they were putting on a show for everyone. Well, they were!

MasterCrafting
07-10-2006, 05:16 PM
At 75 feet behind our bout there is a little mound that annoys the crap out of me when crossing the wake. I think my rope length is acually closer to 80 or 85...i was using a 100 foot for awhile but that was to long.

As far as getting the boom...my dad is pretty much the only thing holding me back. "back in the day we didnt need booms to learn things, we just went out and busted our asses...you're lucky you have a boat that goes 40 mph we learned to foot behind wooden chris crafts that went 37...blah blah blah...."

Thanks for your input everyone...i cant afford a boom right now, and i know my parents wont help pay for one...so i'll be staying on the long line for now.

With instruction from a pro show skier that i know, i think i'm going to continue working on back deeps...i tried it once and didnt do too bad...and he thinks i can get it without using a boom....

atlfootr
07-10-2006, 07:50 PM
20 years ago a Mastercraft family we knew started to teach themselves to barefoot. First on longline, then to a boom, then back to long line and back and forth, while everyone kept telling them to get some proper instruction at a clinic or at a ski school. About 5 years ago for many reasons they gave up after enduring extreme body punshiment everytime they tried, bruises on their backs, butts, arms and legs. They thought it was funny and thought they were putting on a show for everyone. Well, they were!That was 20 years ago, also known back then as (aka) "school of hard knocks."
Truely, there probably weren't as many - if any BF Booms available. Most ppl, that wanted to learn to foot jus' stepped off a ski. Matter of fact, Dick Pope, Jr. was one of the first guy's who really invented barefoot water-skiing.

1947: A.G. Hancock and Dick Pope, Jr., became the first barefoot water skiers respectively.

That was THEN, this is NOW 2006! More properly availible barefoot equipment is now manufactured. No bloody need to get into any kinda debate, I'm just saying, "there's no need for anyone wanting to learn to barefoot to have to expericence it by begin subjected to hard falls and injuries.

That's all :twocents:

tex
07-10-2006, 11:53 PM
I'll comment on this for 2 reasons...1.I learned long line behind a bass boat w/a 65 hp motor...GET A BOOM. 2. I have a 197 and love it. HATE IT FOR WAKECROSSINGS! Don't be a fool and try back deeps long line! If you want that kind of punishment...Skip deeps and go right to back step offs!

Davo
07-11-2006, 10:07 AM
...Skip deeps and go right to back step offs!

I've got to get a pic of this wooden back step off ski my buddy has....I'm sure you've seen 'em tex...they look like a normal ski (slightly shorter and wider), but the boots don't have heels and they're backwards on the ski.

You ride it up like a slalom except with the fins forward and then spin or jump it backwards and then step off....it's funny as heck watching him try to step off (actually, it kind of hurts to watch - lol). He's a talented skier, barefooter and a phenomenal wakeboarder, but he hasn't made a back step off yet after a handful of tries. I think I'll pass!

I have done some back footin' a long time ago when I was younger, but I'm not sure I have the resilience at 32. Truthfully, back footing was not that fun for me...maybe because I couldn't go back to front or vice versa (I did make one back to front) and you can't see s#!t going backwards. It was more of a challenge back then....now, I'm just in it for the fun - unless I start skiing the course again...I know how competitive those buoy chasers can get. :D

Rockman
07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
As far as getting the boom...my dad is pretty much the only thing holding me back. "back in the day we didnt need booms to learn things, we just went out and busted our asses...you're lucky you have a boat that goes 40 mph we learned to foot behind wooden chris crafts that went 37...blah blah blah...."

My dad was the same way when I bought our new boat. He didn't unserstand why we needed to go faster than 30mph. Then we took him out one day and he just loved it!

Tell your dad thanks for the comments and concerns but if he thinks like that...

When he gets older and if he has a heart attack (God forbid he does), and you take him to the hospital, tell the doctors to operate on him the way they did back in the 50's. Don't use any new montiors for his vital signs, etc., give him minimal drugs to ease the pain, etc. Use all the old school technology and see if he can survive. I highly doubt he will pull through.

Let me know what he says about that. That mentality doesn't get you far these days.

There is a line between being a hard a$$ and just being dumb (no offense).

:twocents:

3event
07-11-2006, 04:22 PM
To say GET THE BOOM, or at least plan to save for it. Even if you put aside the bodily abuse factor - consider learning 2 or 3 new tricks instead of just 1 in the same amount of time. Or try another angle - more tricks = more chicks !

And when your friends who are less experienced want to join in the fun, they can learn to foot with much less pain = more productive time on the water for all. When I learned on a little old O/B boat, we were stepn off only - a buddy of mine ended up in the hospital for ruptured eardrum and vowed never to try footing again. Be kind to your friends!

:D

barefoot
07-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Check ebay for booms...there's a bunch on there right now!