PDA

View Full Version : MCX noise

oxmach
07-10-2006, 11:12 AM
I notice a slight whine when accelerating from a stop, which I thought was normal for the Multi Port.

Lately I've noticed when pulling up a skier with PP engaged, there is a more noticible whine, almost coming from the back of the engine. Has anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts? I've checke the belt tension and it is good.

Thanks,

vegashomeexpert
07-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Yep, mine "whines", too. Almost sounds like a whistle.:confused:

Hillbillytoober
07-10-2006, 11:39 AM
That thar wistle is the K&N air filtur. I put one on my leaf blower and gained 4 horsepowur after that and the superchargur

bdecker
07-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I have heard a similiar noise on my boat. In fact, I've had numerous email communications with PerfectPass tech support on this issue, as I suspected a fault in the perfectpass module, it sounded like a continuous secondary low beep. This past weekend I ran it up to 36 without Perfectpass engaged and the sound was there as well. I'm suspecting it is either prop sing or perhaps the air filter. The boat is in getting it's 06' rudder and annual tune up and I've asked the shop to look into the noise. I'll let you know what I find out.

oxmach
07-10-2006, 11:50 AM
The squeal I hear is as I'm accelerating up to the point of pp engagement and then it stops. Just seems to be there while under load of pulling the skier out of the water. From there all is quiet. I'd be interested in what you find out. Thanks.

sand2snow22
07-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I've got it. Kind of weird, but I like the whine of the air going through the engine.....

jmyers
07-10-2006, 08:02 PM
Mine is like a high pitched whistle! Especially on acceleration!:rolleyes:

bigmac
07-10-2006, 08:04 PM
The squeal I hear is as I'm accelerating up to the point of pp engagement and then it stops. Just seems to be there while under load of pulling the skier out of the water. From there all is quiet. I'd be interested in what you find out. Thanks.
Squeal, whistling, or beeping?

I have a whistling, it's just the K&N IMHO. I had a whine, it was the transmission and went away. I had a squeal that disappear as I throttled up, it was fan belt after my alternator bracket bolts snapped. I had a beeping, but it was my cell phone.

ps...I checked my belt tenion too it's amazing how tight that belt felt with 2 out of 3 bracket bolts snapped.

Farmer Ted
07-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Squeal, whistling, or beeping?

I have a whistling, it's just the K&N IMHO. I had a whine, it was the transmission and went away. I had a squeal that disappear as I throttled up, it was fan belt after my alternator bracket bolts snapped. I had a beeping, but it was my cell phone.

ps...I checked my belt tenion too it's amazing how tight that belt felt with 2 out of 3 bracket bolts snapped.

BigMac,

It sounds like you have the makings of a good Blues Song there......

vogelm1
07-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Know what you mean about the whistle. I put-putted mine around for the break-in hours last year, and it never did it because I was really easy on the throttle. When I put it down now to pull up a skier, it's definitely coming from the motor and not Perfect Pass. Never did figure out what it was either from my dealer or this board, but suspect it's the intake air coming in through the K&N filter as mentioned above.

bigmac
07-10-2006, 10:14 PM
BigMac,

It sounds like you have the makings of a good Blues Song there......LOL!. I'm gonna try to sell it to Tanya Tucker...

ntidsl
07-11-2006, 07:56 AM
I wish someone who knew for sure would drum in on this...we obviosuly all have the same noise on the MCX engine...Evryone at my lake is always telling me to have someone check my belts...they are fine!!!

PendO
07-11-2006, 04:43 PM
Mine is like a high pitched whistle! Especially on acceleration!:rolleyes:

mine too! I hear it more if I am sitting in the back seat looking forward ... the sound seems to be more prevalent from the back of the engine?

Mine has nothing to do with PP, you can hear it with it on or off, and the whistle depends on the rpms of the engine, although I don't think the sound is there when you are in neutral ... I will check next time, as I definitely hear it when the boat is in gear.