PDA

View Full Version : Plug Scare

BIGBADBLUE
07-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Yesterday at the lake we had a bit of a scare. We skiied all day and had a great time, however, after my last run I noticed the bilge pump was running. I open up the engine cover to noticed it was filling fast. We beached the boat, I pluged the hole with a towel and the rest of the crew bailed. When the pump and bailers finally got it all out I founf the plug in the bilge and put it back in.

This has never happened to me in the 13 seasons I have had this boat. I usually check the tighness every trip out, however, did not this time. It is kept on a lift so it is always in. I have never found it loose before so I must have not put it in very tight when I launched it the first time this season.

Has anyone else had a plug come out? Very strange and very scarey. Good thing for the "auto" switch on the bilge pump.

6ballsisall
07-10-2006, 11:08 AM
That is wild!! Never heard of a screw in plug like ours working itself loose! Maybe someone thought they'd play a joke on you by taking it out during the night?

3event
07-10-2006, 11:21 AM
I'm also voting for the malicious interference theory.

Happened to me years ago, but it was on a 16' OB where the plug access was from the exterior underneath the transom - easy for a wisearse to remove and toss away. We ran the boat fast to drain it and then quickly cranked up the lift and went to buy another plug.....

east tx skier
07-10-2006, 11:24 AM
That's crazy. First I've heard of something like that.

BIGBADBLUE
07-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Freaked me out. I doubt the interfierence theory, but I guess it could have happened ... very slight chance. The crew I was out with did not even know that the bump in the middle of my boat was the engine. :)

I am going to buy a spare plug and put it in my glove box to make the replacement faster if by the one in 100,000 chances it ever happens again. You can bet that thing is tight now and will be check every time before we go out.

Mikey
07-10-2006, 12:10 PM
Its always good to have a spare plug on hand anyways.

It happened to me yesterday but it was my fault. I forgot to put the plug in. The boat was in the water but still on the trailer when I remembered. Luckily I caught it before the boat filled up.:)

atlfootr
07-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Has anyone else had a plug come out?ONLY U, that I know of. :popcorn:
I once forgot to put the plug in, before casting off :o
Once was MORE than enough :purplaugh

X-45
07-10-2006, 01:40 PM
The marina the I use to keep my boat in dry storage would pull the plugs and empty the water before they put your boat up. But they would always reinstall the plug before putting it on the shelf. Just a though.
:twocents:

vinniep
07-10-2006, 02:05 PM
For those who remove and replace their plug, where do you put it to remind you to reinstall it. I had a cup holder up high near the pass through on my Malibu and used to put the plug there in plain sight. On my new Mastercraft I do not have the same cup holder. I have almost forgotten it a couple of times. Any suggestions?

3event
07-10-2006, 02:07 PM
Prior dealer used to secure it to steering wheel using electrical tape - several wraps around.

Some recommend tying it to your keychain

Either way hard to miss....

Kell
07-10-2006, 02:19 PM
For those who remove and replace their plug, where do you put it to remind you to reinstall it. I had a cup holder up high near the pass through on my Malibu and used to put the plug there in plain sight. On my new Mastercraft I do not have the same cup holder. I have almost forgotten it a couple of times. Any suggestions? I trailer my MC, so I remove the bilge and transom plug after each outing. I put both plugs in a draw string nylon bag and use the draw string to attach it to the steeling wheel. I have yet to forget to install the plugs....nock on fiberglass! ;)

caden
07-10-2006, 02:34 PM
I lay mine in the drivers seat

McFire
07-10-2006, 02:48 PM
I put mine in the beer holder near the driver's seat. I take out the keys and put them in there too, so I have to see the plug before I can start the engine.

TMCNo1
07-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Put a S/S key ring around the stem of the bottom plug and when you remove it clip it on the ignition key after you remove the key and hang it thru a spoke on the steering wheel. You will always see it before you put the key in the ignition to crank the boat.
or
Put a long bathroom stopper chain on the bottom plug or on a coiled cord like the kill switch, anchor the other end on a bolt of the pylon base and everytime you remove it lay the plug in the floor beside the pylon in front of the motor cover.

atlfootr
07-10-2006, 04:57 PM
For those who remove and replace their plug, where do you put it to remind you to reinstall it. Any suggestions?Clip it to your keys! :D

love2fly
07-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Keep the plug and round plastic inspection plate together, when I'm in the boat and see the round hole I know the plug is not in.

I always trailer so always remove the plug after I get in on the trailer.

sanjuan23
07-10-2006, 05:21 PM
The plug is either in place or in the engine cover handle. So if it isnt in the handle on the motor box it's keeping out the water. And if its in the handle we are going down...

stevo137
07-10-2006, 05:28 PM
I always kept mine right next to the drain hole just in case I forgot about it. I could put it in even with water entering through the hole.
I usually always lifted the motor cover when cold starting anyway so I would know right away.

vinniep
07-11-2006, 11:45 AM
electrical tape could get messy. I may try a hook and hang it from the steering wheel. Thanks for the suggestions.

ski_king
07-11-2006, 11:48 AM
After making the mistake once, I added a sticker beside the bow eye that asks, "IS THE PLUG IN?"

Mikey
07-11-2006, 12:43 PM
After making the mistake once, I added a sticker beside the bow eye that asks, "IS THE PLUG IN?"

HaHa, thats a good one. I might have to do something like that.

Cousin_Jeff
07-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Well I did it. It has been 3 years since I bought the boat but finally forgot about the plug. The bad part is that my wife was driving the boat and I was parking the trailer. By the time I got to her, there was A LOT of water in. We got it all out by plugging the hole immediately, turning on the bilge, and using the fat sac pump to suck out all the water. STUPID mistake on my part.

The question I have is what all do I need to check? The boat starts fine, and runs fine. I started it several times throughout the day and never had an issue. Do I need to be concerned or check anything specifically?

6ballsisall
07-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Well I did it. It has been 3 years since I bought the boat but finally forgot about the plug. The bad part is that my wife was driving the boat and I was parking the trailer. By the time I got to her, there was A LOT of water in. We got it all out by plugging the hole immediately, turning on the bilge, and using the fat sac pump to suck out all the water. STUPID mistake on my part.

The question I have is what all do I need to check? The boat starts fine, and runs fine. I started it several times throughout the day and never had an issue. Do I need to be concerned or check anything specifically?

Bummer dude! How deep did the water get?

DooSPX
07-29-2006, 10:38 PM
For those who remove and replace their plug, where do you put it to remind you to reinstall it. I had a cup holder up high near the pass through on my Malibu and used to put the plug there in plain sight. On my new Mastercraft I do not have the same cup holder. I have almost forgotten it a couple of times. Any suggestions?

I actually put in in the center of the dash above the wheel.

Cousin_Jeff
07-29-2006, 11:08 PM
JimN. It got pretty bad. There was water under my back seat b/c I was trying to keep the boat moving and keep the water "slanted" away from the starter and the engine. So all the water was coming into the back seat from the back part of the motor cover. I do not believe that the starter or any other motor parts were under water since we kept moving. I do think that some things may have gotten wet from the water splashing up. Something was obviously touching water though b/c when I opened the motor cover there was water spraying from the belts going around I assumed.

Man it sucked! I was so dissapointed in myself. I had just spent a week at The Wakeboard Camp and I think I got used to be being a passenger instead of the captain. Just totally forgot. I am just hoping that my ego was the biggest damage and that the boat is not damaged. As I said earlier, nothing appeared to be wrong. Just didn't know if I should try anything specifically or look for anything. I did leave the motor cover open to allow it to get some air and I ran the blower to try to move air around in there.

6ballsisall
07-30-2006, 12:15 AM
If the water was above the floor board there is a decent chance water got in your trans. Flush and change the oil.

tex
07-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Mine has worked it's way out twice. I now really crank it down hard and that has fixed the problem. I put mine in my beer holder. That way I always know where it is!

BIGBADBLUE
07-30-2006, 03:28 PM
OK ... very weird things are happening with my plug since my first post. It lossened again this weekend. I checked it before we went out and it was in tight. I checked it at the end of the day and it was half way out ... very loose.

I can tell it is the 13th season for this boat (queue Twilight Zone Music) ... how can this stupid plug vibrate out. I never saw this issue in the past years. arrrrgggggg

Anyone have any ideas?

TMCNo1
07-30-2006, 04:25 PM
OK ... very weird things are happening with my plug since my first post. It lossened again this weekend. I checked it before we went out and it was in tight. I checked it at the end of the day and it was half way out ... very loose.

I can tell it is the 13th season for this boat (queue Twilight Zone Music) ... how can this stupid plug vibrate out. I never saw this issue in the past years. arrrrgggggg

Anyone have any ideas?

Wrap teflon pipe tape about 2 layers thick on the plug threads and take a boxed end wrench, big enough to loop it over one of the ears on the "T" of the plug and "TIGHTEN" the plug tight to the point you have to use the wrench to loosen it next time you take it out.
Otherwise,
You just think you are tightening the plug or a small critter of some species is living in your bilge and working hard loosening your plug, all the time you are on the water having fun.

BIGBADBLUE
07-30-2006, 05:46 PM
hehehehehe ... darn MC gremlins

TMCNo1
07-30-2006, 07:39 PM
hehehehehe ... darn MC gremlins

:uglyhamme My wife and I thought for 15 minutes for the proper word, "GREMLIN" and never could come up with it! That's why I used the wording "critter of some species"!:uglyhamme
I bet Wal-Mart has a gremlin trap to put in the bilge! Bait it with Oreo cookies!