PDA

View Full Version : Any good alarms while in slip???

gr8smiles
07-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I keep my X-Star in a marina on a hydrohoist during the season. Last fall, vandals and theives hit a bunch of ski boats, including mine hard. They took wakeboards, surfboards, etc. and sprayed fire extinguishers on and under the covers. This weekend, they tried it again. I didn't lose anything this time, but I am wondering if there is any type of alarm that I could put under the cover that would scare/warn any intruders??

I have an 05 X-Star so I do not have any snaps for the 'snap type' alarms.
Also, does anyone know what will get 'fire extinguisher' spray off of the tower. my tower is 'etched' with the residue from the extinguisher.

I keep my Sky Ski 'krypton-locked' to the tower and run the cables through the wakeboard bindings now.

erkoehler
07-10-2006, 09:34 AM
You could try acetone to clean the tower.

zberger
07-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I am sure you could get the residue off with that, or call a manufacturer to see what they would do.

Kiddy or some spelling of that makes fire extinguishers.

You could probably rig up a car alarm to work, depends how long you go between using your boat.. the current drain might leave you with dead batteries.

6ballsisall
07-10-2006, 09:59 AM
A night hiding under the cover with a Smith & Wesson should work very well..........:mad:

zberger
07-10-2006, 10:25 AM
A night hiding under the cover with a Smith & Wesson should work very well..........:mad:

You'd also lose alot of weight from sweating so much :D

Hillbillytoober
07-10-2006, 10:27 AM
Just git you a few mad coons trapped under cover at night. That'll keep em from coming back

gr8smiles
07-10-2006, 11:11 AM
We use the boat every weekend May-Sept. I already have 180 hours on it since I bought it last June!

I already thought of the Smith option....

Any better ones....a google search of boat alarms did not help much....?

bigmac
07-10-2006, 11:22 AM
I keep my X-Star in a marina on a hydrohoist during the season. Last fall, vandals and theives hit a bunch of ski boats, including mine hard. They took wakeboards, surfboards, etc. and sprayed fire extinguishers on and under the covers. This weekend, they tried it again. I didn't lose anything this time, but I am wondering if there is any type of alarm that I could put under the cover that would scare/warn any intruders??

I have an 05 X-Star so I do not have any snaps for the 'snap type' alarms.
Also, does anyone know what will get 'fire extinguisher' spray off of the tower. my tower is 'etched' with the residue from the extinguisher.

I keep my Sky Ski 'krypton-locked' to the tower and run the cables through the wakeboard bindings now.

I'd recommend a pressure mat connected to a conventional alarm with 12 volt siren. Place the mat and arm the system before you leave for the day.

gr8smiles
07-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Where would I get such animals??? The pressure mat and 12 volt system??

Dooker
07-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Just git you a few mad coons trapped under cover at night. That'll keep em from coming back

Billy, you no better than to waste food like that!

bigmac
07-10-2006, 12:03 PM
Where would I get such animals??? The pressure mat and 12 volt system??I'll have to look to find a system I saw a while ago. In the meantime, try this:

http://www.canvassnapalarm.com/index_files/OptionalEquipment.htm

DanC
07-10-2006, 12:33 PM
I put in a two way pager, programable voice alarm, and two stage proximity sensor. Works pretty well for what I wanted, something to tell me if somebody was near the boat in a parking lot while we were inside a store, getting lunch, etc. Some people will say the proximity sensors are too prone to false alarms, but I have been able to get mine adjusted fairly well.
I found a big difference in performance between the cheap components and the name brand stuff.

RobertT
07-10-2006, 12:39 PM
I have one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTION-DETECTOR-with-Alarm-by-MACE-80200_W0QQitemZ330004037044QQihZ014QQcategoryZ1159 40QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its nice because you have ten seconds to enter your code, but I actually never arm it.

Its just a loud screeching alarm, not much. And, a quick hammer blast and its toast.

But, for the money its not a bad way to go for somebody that just wants to scare off the kids.

Leroy
07-10-2006, 12:40 PM
I would complain to the marina that they need to beef up the security with that much criminal action going on. They can put in a few camera's and signs and probably help everyone.

RobertT
07-10-2006, 12:45 PM
A few other options...

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTION-DETECTOR-ALARM-SENSOR-w-LIGHT-AND-REMOTE_W0QQitemZ160004580135QQihZ006QQcategoryZ115 940QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/MOTION-ACTIVATED-ALARM-W-KEYPAD-detector-sensor_W0QQitemZ150006205454QQihZ005QQcategoryZ115 940QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

vinniep
07-10-2006, 12:56 PM
My suggestion would be to keep them away from your boat by posting signs that you have an alarm or camera, etc. The car alarm suggestions are great but I think keeping them out of the boat is better. It's probably kids versus professionals and they will be easily scared and move to an easier target. This option is also something cheap and simple to try.

atlfootr
07-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Just git you a few mad coons trapped under cover at night. That'll keep em from coming backThat ough'ta, git 'er done ...

SteveO
07-10-2006, 03:19 PM
I put in a two way pager, programable voice alarm, and two stage proximity sensor. Works pretty well for what I wanted, something to tell me if somebody was near the boat in a parking lot while we were inside a store, getting lunch, etc. Some people will say the proximity sensors are too prone to false alarms, but I have been able to get mine adjusted fairly well.
I found a big difference in performance between the cheap components and the name brand stuff.

I assume that is all tied into a general car alrm system? Wow you did all that and you don't even store it on a lift or in the water? Between you and deisel, I am never gone get cought up to my wish list.

rodltg2
07-10-2006, 05:37 PM
the motion detector seems like a good idea,but if its at a marina and goes off alot when you not there i could see some complaints..
how about some phoney security cameras mounted on the dock?

DanC
07-10-2006, 06:58 PM
the motion detector seems like a good idea,but if its at a marina and goes off alot when you not there i could see some complaints..

I agree, I don't think alarm systems help at all, people just get annoyed and ignore it.

The idea behind mine was for short periods of time when the boat is unattended in a parking lot.

I assume that is all tied into a general car alrm system?

I used a general car alarm that had a two way pager feature. Added a high quality two stage radar/motion sensor and a programmable voice alarm speaker. If someone comes up to the side of the boat it sends me a page and yells "step away from the boat". If they get in the boat it yells in my more urgent voice "intruder alert, surveillance system recording!" I put three sets of LED arrays on the windshield brace that sequence and look cool :cool:

Rixter_69
07-10-2006, 08:35 PM
I would try the FS301 from Flagship Marine - my brother in law had issues with thieves and installed this and no one has messed with it since.

It is sensitive so he's had some false alarms, but I'd rather have a false alarm than get ripped off.

http://www.boatalarm.com/remotealarms.html

Good Luck!