PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Shopping/Install Help

JohnnyB
07-09-2006, 10:45 AM
For my upcoming birthday, my wife suggested me getting a CD/Stereo for our new-to-us 2004 PS197. I'm thinking about mounting the head unit in the glove box which is where I believe the factory is mounting them. I'd then like to put a remote somewhere near the dash or throttle control.....there's a couple of options depending on the size of the remote. All that being said....

Can someone recommend where to purchase a marine head unit w/remote and speakers. Also throw out your thoughts on brands/models. I'd like to spend $300-450 now with the thought of adding amps and other stuff later.

The help is appreciated.

JohnnyB
07-09-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm thinking of putting the remote in the same place as shown on this boat......RH side of dash along armrest area, in front of throttle....

tex
07-09-2006, 11:20 AM
JB,
I have an 02 197. I have a remote just where you showed on in the pic. I also have one on the back of the boat. I highly suggest both. You will love the one on the back of the boat. I have the stock radio in the glove box buy have already bought the updated Clarion. Due to my present skiing situation, it is still in the box in my garage. I beleive that it was in you price range. As far as a place, I consulted with Texas Mastercraft and they suggested a place that they were using. I called them and when they asked what kind of boat I had I replied an inboard...the guy laughed and said, no silly, 197, 209, X-10, etc...
Being made fun of made me feel totally comfortable about taking my boat there.

JohnnyB
07-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Was the place that Texas MC suggested for installation or purchase of equipment? I'm planning to do the install myself but am looking for a place to purchase my head unit, speakers, etc.

Thanks for your help....

bigmac
07-09-2006, 11:43 AM
The Clarion CMD4 seems to be pretty satisfactory, and has a lot of accessories available such as iPod connection, Sirius, subwoofers, remotes (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=72318&fcat=2L6) . Lot of places to buy from, including Overtons (http://overtons.com/modperl/overtons/detail/pdetail2.cgi?r=detail_view&item_num=72314&fcat=2L6) , Crutchfield (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-NfYN1Ivdjh3/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=221050&I=020CMD4&search=marine) or do this google search (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=clarion+cmd4&btnG=Google+Search)

prostar205
07-09-2006, 02:03 PM
I just did a stereo upgrade in my '02 X30 this spring. I got everything off Ebay for 1/3 of what I could buy them anywhere else. All of the stuff was brand new and it works great. I went with a standard car headunit and not a marine version. The options are far more if you go that route. When thinking of a headunit, remember to get one that has high pre-amp (6.5V) outputs if you are thinking of adding an amp(s) down the road. Also, make sure it have 3 RCA pre-amp outputs (front, rear and sub out).

I went with a Pioneer Premier 860MP headunit. Diesel should be along soon to guide you through this process. He was invaluable to me when I was making my selections. I have about $1,300 in equipment, wiring, connectors, sub box material. I did the entire install myself - with Diesel's guidance.

Good luck!!!!!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Im surprized an 04 didnt come with a CD player :confused: WOW, in this day and age I would think thats standard. Hmmm.....

JohnnyB
07-09-2006, 02:50 PM
My boat was previously owned by an area show ski team. They buy them pretty stripped down...no PPass, no heater, no shower, no stereo. That's pretty much what I plan to add....less the Perfect Pass. Not sure I'll do that one.

07-09-2006, 02:53 PM
My boat was previously owned by an area show ski team. They buy them pretty stripped down...no PPass, no heater, no shower, no stereo. That's pretty much what I plan to add....less the Perfect Pass. Not sure I'll do that one.
OK, I see. You would think that those items would easily bring in more money for the boat when they sold it. Maybe not. interesting.

tex
07-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Was the place that Texas MC suggested for installation or purchase of equipment? I'm planning to do the install myself but am looking for a place to purchase my head unit, speakers, etc.

Thanks for your help....
Both. Good luck!

JohnnyB
07-09-2006, 03:11 PM
OK, I see. You would think that those items would easily bring in more money for the boat when they sold it. Maybe not. interesting.

Those additional items don't add a lot of extra value except for the PPass. They are now purchasing their new boats with PPass and the MCX engine....I would see those as the two big "value" items....IMHO.

07-09-2006, 03:15 PM
OK. sounds good! Good luck with the CD player! :) :wavey:

JohnnyB
07-09-2006, 03:32 PM
OK stereo experts, help me out. I'm looking at the Clarion M455 vs. the CMD4. There are only two differences between the two, the 1st is the CMD4 has the watertight flip-down face, which isn't that important to me as mine will be mounted in the glove box. The other is the preamp outs which need some explaining.......

M455: two sets of preamp outputs with adjustable low-pass filter

CMD4: three sets of preamp outputs

Can somebody simplify the meaning of this for me....I'm not an aftermarket stereo moron..... :confused:

excetara2
07-10-2006, 02:26 AM
I been looking at the same two. Not a big difference depending on what you are doing witht them. Both are 2V pre-outs which are good. The CMD4 has front/rear/sub output where the M455 has front then rear or sub output. If it is on rear it is full pass and sends the all frequencies. It can also be turned on sub. It only sends out low frequencies. I am planning on getting the M455 because it is much cheaper and don't see an extra 100-150 worth in the CMD4 at all. I am planning on running all the speakers in the boat off of the front. Then the towers of off the rear so I can fade back in forth between the two. If you ever get a sub, you can just run a split of the front channels or line out on your amps if they have it on to a sub amp. On the sub amp use its crossover which is probably better than using the one on the CMD4 anyway. Only problem is won't be volume adjustable from head unit. This is only downside to installing the sub this way. I don't have room for a sub so I don't have to worry about this. The internally installed Clarion sub was barely audible and especially when not moving. It didn'y have a lot of power behind it. A sub in a boat is not that appealing to me. It would side fine when not moving. When driving I can't imagine it being that appealing even properly installed with a lot of power. IT would put a lot of stress on the system.

Diesel
07-10-2006, 11:40 AM
OK stereo experts, help me out. I'm looking at the Clarion M455 vs. the CMD4. There are only two differences between the two, the 1st is the CMD4 has the watertight flip-down face, which isn't that important to me as mine will be mounted in the glove box. The other is the preamp outs which need some explaining.......

M455: two sets of preamp outputs with adjustable low-pass filter

CMD4: three sets of preamp outputs

Can somebody simplify the meaning of this for me....I'm not an aftermarket stereo moron..... :confused:

I would not buy either. Take a look at the Pioneer and Sony with wired remote options. You get much more for your money and will have a solid foundation should you choose to expand in the future.

prostar205
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
I will second Diesel's option. You definately need 3 sets of pre-amp output - no matter what headunit you choose. However, 2V for the pre-amp output is weak. Diesel and I have the same headunit, Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, which has 3 pre-amp outputs that put out 6.5V each.

Don't waste your $$$$ on the Clarion stuff - just my $.02!!!!

kalanic
07-10-2006, 01:50 PM
I have been lookin at this to swap out with my Clarion.

RobertT
07-10-2006, 02:08 PM
I have been lookin at this to swap out with my Clarion.

I am assuming that Clarion wired remotes will only work with Clarion head units, right?

I love Kenwood stuff. I just put one in my truck with a navigation system and DVD player.

My next boat will definitely be ordered without a stereo system at all.

kalanic
07-10-2006, 02:09 PM
I am assuming that Clarion wired remotes will only work with Clarion head units, right?

I love Kenwood stuff. I just put one in my truck with a navigation system and DVD player.

My next boat will definitely be ordered without a stereo system at all. As far as I know, Clarion stays with Clarion.

RobertT
07-10-2006, 02:29 PM
To me, the type and ease of use on the remote is just as important as anything else. On my 197, I seldom ever even open my glove box. I use the two remotes, which are both obviously Clarion and both have digital readouts.

I switch from my ipod (aux), to my cd, to the tuner all the time. Not being able to do that very easily and being able to read out what mode it is in would be a huge deal for me.

I like Kenwood stuff the best, but it looks like their remote is anything but sexy. The digital sony remote looks perfect, that would be my choice if I was building a system today. The clarion stuff works OK, I cant really complain but wouldn't choose it if I was building a system from scratch like you can.

With no amp, I think the Sony that I looked at only puts out 17watts per channel. Thats not enough. Then again, that was a marine. The non marine units might be better. Diesel or others would know best.

Anyway, point is that dont forget the remote in the decision making process, you are going to be using that more than anything else.

SteveO
07-10-2006, 04:39 PM
I will second Diesel's option. You definately need 3 sets of pre-amp output - no matter what head unit you choose. However, V for the pre-amp output is weak. Diesel and I have the same head unit, Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, which has 3 pre-amp outputs that put out 6.5V each.

Don't waste your $$$$ on the Clarion stuff - just my $.02!!!!

What is the part number for the wired pioneer remote? I too am a few days from getting rid of my stock Clarion for something that has 3 outs and an RCA input for the ipod. I really don't want to have to mess with the remote, so I am leaning toward the CDM-4 Does anyone know if that completely fills the space the current head unit XMD-1?) will leave?

endl
07-10-2006, 06:12 PM
Buddy of mine did some research and came up with a brand called "Aquatic". They have some very neat options. I believe they can support up to 4 wired remotes and the wired remotes have sensors that support wirless remotes. "Waterproof" casings and I believe they are made out of stainless. You can view them at rocktheboataudio.com.

RobertT
07-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Buddy of mine did some research and came up with a brand called "Aquatic". They have some very neat options. I believe they can support up to 4 wired remotes and the wired remotes have sensors that support wirless remotes. "Waterproof" casings and I believe they are made out of stainless. You can view them at rocktheboataudio.com.

I just checked that unit out. I have no idea what the quality is, but that is the coolest unit I have ever seen. Why? Did you see that the stainless wired remotes are also receivers for the floating remote? That means that you can be kicking it behind the boat drinking a cold one and control it from a ways out. Or, you can have a remote on the dock. they are cheap to.

The other thing that I absolutely love is that it has a 12v output or two. The wired remotes have a button for that as well, so you could put your LED lights on that circuit, or even have it turn off the amp to your tower speakers. All directly from any of the remotes, or the handheld floating remote.

Very cool ideas.

prostar205
07-11-2006, 03:53 AM
SteveO -

I do not have a wired Pioneer remote - just the wireless remote that came with the headunit. I know Diesel did a wired remote on his Pioneer headunit.

BTW - my Pioneer headunit also can use the Ipod adaptor (CB100) that then allows me full functionality of the Ipod thru the headunit. Its pretty cool.

excetara2
07-11-2006, 03:15 PM
I don't agree that 2V isn't enough output on a Pre-out. It depends on the output stage more than the output voltage of the Pre-amp. 2V can sound just as good or better than 6.5V. 6.5V can jsut help eliminate noise better but depending ont he install. If it is all under the passenger seat like mine 2V vs. 6.5V won't matter. Saying that. I will check out the sony's because I wanted something else just didn't know of other wired remote options. Also look at aquatic.

RobertT
07-11-2006, 06:14 PM
All in all, although I like the look and features of the Aquatic right now, if I were to buy a marine stereo it would be JBL. I like their remotes.

Diesel and all, how did you get the wired remotes to work on a non marine head unit?

excetara2
07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I know the Marine remote works on almost all of the Pioneer Head units. I don't know of this on any other brand.

east tx skier
07-12-2006, 11:48 AM
Whatever brand you get, make sure it can read MP3s. You can rip enough mp3s to a CD-R (you can skimp on file quality because you won't miss it with open air/boat motor noise) that you'll rarely have to hit eject. Even if you do go HQ on your file size, you can get a ton of files on there.

SkiDog
07-12-2006, 02:18 PM

I will NEVER own another boat without Perfect Pass!

RobertT
07-12-2006, 03:37 PM
I will NEVER own another boat without Perfect Pass!

I would give up my stereo and tower for perfect pass.