PDA

View Full Version : Prop polishing??

wildbill
07-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Another question for those "in the know": Would any harm be done or would efficiency be diminished by polishing to a "mirror-finish" my Acme prop which was CNC machined? The machine marks give it a rather rough finish and I'd like to have it really shine, would I be loosing any efficiency by doing so? If anyone knows, I'd love to hear from you-THANKS!

Ric
07-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Hoosier Bob should have an answer for you soon. I heard that he spends alot of alone time polishing his prop! :D

TMCNo1
07-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Another question for those "in the know": Would any harm be done or would efficiency be diminished by polishing to a "mirror-finish" my Acme prop which was CNC machined? The machine marks give it a rather rough finish and I'd like to have it really shine, would I be loosing any efficiency by doing so? If anyone knows, I'd love to hear from you-THANKS!

The original 3 blade OJ prop, I had polished and rebalanced, then 2 years later, I had it chrome plated and ran it for 11 years.
Don't know about any CNC prop, but there is alot of material to be removed in preperation the be polished. I have always run a polished prop.The last Nibral prop I got, a 4 blade OJ, before CNC, I was gonna get the prop from MC, have it polished and take it to Eric @ OJ to balance and he said he would build me one with the polish as the final finish rather than the ground finish, Instead of taking a new prop, grind and sand and polish away a lot of material, damaging the cup, and knocking it out of tolerance, he would finish it polished, ready to run. After I got it from OJ, I did have my polish man touch it up to super mirror finish and it was the smoothest prop I have ever run, but they will tarnish and you have to hand polish with metal polish to restore the shine. For the last 2 years I have run a OJ 4 blade polished S/S, that I had my polish man fine tune the polish on and I thought the Nibral 4 blade was smooth, plus there is no polishing to be done, it's maintenace free! Goes great with the Polished 2003 Mastercraft by Design S/S rudder. Now all I have to hand polish, after it tarnishes, is the strut, and 3 fins......................Good Luck!

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Just shoot some Works on it and wait a few minutes! Rinse and be amazed! Diamond cut and brilliant! Looks great and takes about 2 minutes most of which can be spent drinking beer! :woohoo:

Thanks Ric! You know one of my many words to live by include if you got it where you can reach it you might as well polish it!

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Works will clean those up as well!

Now all I have to hand polish, after it tarnishes, is the strut, and 3 fins......................Good Luck![/QUOTE]

tex
07-08-2006, 06:31 PM
I've heard of prop wash, but never polish.

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 07:07 PM
This is what you will need to polish your CNC prop and rudder.
Remember spray a bunch of the Works on and wait. Light SOS pad and rinse! This is the I don't feel like doing this version and it was done before the beer was opened! 2-3 minutes! :D

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Nasty rudder and prop, how will I clean you? :confused:

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Put the Works on ya, That's right! :banana:
You can wipe it off, I recommend but did not! Ah, the beer is still cold! :D

TMCNo1
07-08-2006, 09:56 PM
Put the Works on ya, That's right! :banana:
You can wipe it off, I recommend but did not! Ah, the beer is still cold! :D

Bob, The Works does work great on original running gear to restore the pieces to the original color and I have used it. It will severly dull Highly Polished Mirror finishes that only metal polishes will accomplish. The polished pieces tarnish just like the none polished pieces do, but a little metal polish will bring back the mirror finish. :twocents:

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 10:04 PM
I will agree with TMC here. The Works/SOS method is somewhat in between polished and base. Polishing is a pain to maintain. The works and steel wool will give you an awesome finish that is easy to maintain but not up to metal polish standards. I plan on sanding and polishing my fins as well but soon after they will get the Works/SOS method!
See yah! :steering:

John B
07-08-2006, 10:16 PM
Where do you get the Works at.?

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Everywhere! Bathroom cleaner. Be careful as I believe it has the highest amount of acid allowed. Rinse somewhat quickly. I have used it on my hull and gear for three years without a problem. Aluminum will not work! Stay away from it! You can even make a bomb with this crap! Another story! You will be fine as it cleans the fiberglass, removes the dull yellow color and rinses easily. Walmart is where I purchased my last batch. Post some slalom pics JB!Where do you get the Works at.?