PDA

View Full Version : Fix Phil's Form

phecksel
07-08-2006, 12:40 AM
Now that I have a little time off from skiing due to hand surgery, we can work on my lousy form. Here's (http://www.hecksel.com/images/tmc%20owners/FixPhilsForm/index.html) a sequence of photos taken at my last session. Barefoot was thrown in just for fun, but the boat speed was too slow, hence the face pounding spray.

I will go for weeks getting three balls at 15 off, 32.3 mph, and suddenly do a run that's amazingly easy. I moved my fin forward slightly before this run and did notice a slight improvement. One of the balls, the ski snapped around the corner and I didn't handle it well. Not sure if that's a technique or ski issue. Friend who competes hates my ski.

Click on any photo for the full size.

tex
07-08-2006, 12:45 AM
I say hips up on or off the ski!

betsy&david Harrison
07-08-2006, 12:48 AM
For starters, look at your pics when you read what I have to say...

Your front leg (R) is almost completely straight. You MUST have your front knee bent a whole lot more than that... in the turns and in wake crossings. This is not an easy skill to learn and you must tell yourself constantly to bend and be soft (the knees that is). Now, I'll go looking for more if you want me too. B

betsy&david Harrison
07-08-2006, 12:52 AM
Next....

You are bending at the waist. To fix this you must pull your shoulders back by flexing your rhomboid muscles...you will feel them if you pull your shoulders back and hold it there awhile. You must ski with your chest out, shoulders back and lead with your unit if you catch my drift. Now that the upper body is in form, it will be tough to remember to press on that front foot with bent knees. Good luck! B

rodltg2
07-08-2006, 11:30 AM
practice some pulling drills on a handle tied to a something fixed and sturdy

east tx skier
07-08-2006, 12:20 PM
As I'm dealing with the same thing, look at how much ski is out of the water. This could be from boot placement, but from reading about fin adjustments, the fact that you moved your fin forward may be causing more tip to be out of the water. Again, no expert here, but I'm working with the same thing.

Farmer Ted
07-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I thought I was the only tongue sticker outer....

be careful you don't bite your tongue off!

http://www.hecksel.com/images/tmc%20owners/FixPhilsForm/images/DSC_2239.jpg

Farmer Ted
07-08-2006, 12:56 PM
I say hips up on or off the ski!

is that the same as pulling the handle to your hips (elbows in and at your side)?

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-08-2006, 01:20 PM
Cool pics Phil! :D

I wont offer advice as I dont think I am qualified to. Your cuttin in up out there! :)

phecksel
07-08-2006, 02:20 PM
Cool pics Phil! :D

I wont offer advice as I dont think I am qualified to. Your cuttin in up out there! :)
I LOVE the new camera. I set it up to maximize photo storage, and it literally could take 1800 pictures as fast as the shutter could go.

phecksel
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
As I'm dealing with the same thing, look at how much ski is out of the water. This could be from boot placement, but from reading about fin adjustments, the fact that you moved your fin forward may be causing more tip to be out of the water. Again, no expert here, but I'm working with the same thing.
I moved the fin forward, because the ski felt like it just wouldn't turn the corner. It did feel better, but believe technique is much more important to fix.

Ric
07-08-2006, 02:22 PM
phil the only pic I see is the one in farmer's post???

phecksel
07-08-2006, 02:26 PM
Next....

You are bending at the waist. To fix this you must pull your shoulders back by flexing your rhomboid muscles...you will feel them if you pull your shoulders back and hold it there awhile. You must ski with your chest out, shoulders back and lead with your unit if you catch my drift. Now that the upper body is in form, it will be tough to remember to press on that front foot with bent knees. Good luck! B
Knees bent, shoulders back, hips up, and tongue in. I'll be a stuttering fool :)

Thank you to all the advice. As soon as my hand heels, I'll go practice remembering everything, LOL.

Funny thing, I had changed lenses for the photographer, and didn't remove the lens cap on the first barefoot run. My wife was pulling me at the "wrong" speed, and it felt great. Second run, she pulled me at my requested speed. It was way too slow. Couldn't hardly breathe from the water spray.

Ric
07-08-2006, 02:36 PM
ok nevermind I see the link NOW duuhhh

Farmer Ted
07-08-2006, 03:51 PM
OK, here's a sequence of what' supposed to be my "good" side

I think I understand the "hips up" but weclome any and all comments

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/1.jpg

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/2.jpg

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/3.jpg

Farmer Ted
07-08-2006, 03:56 PM
I realize the pictures are blurry, it was late and my wife was so struck with awe she was barely able to operate the camera......

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/4.jpg

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/5.jpg

http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/6.jpg

Farmer Ted
07-08-2006, 04:00 PM
I think part of the problem, other than not having much skill is that I was trying to point the ski perpendicular to the boat path and zoom across. when the boat wins the tug of war the first thing I do is break at the waist

last time out I moved my bindings forward and the ski felt good but the pull seemed/felt slow

I also tried to point the ski not so perpendicular but more of an angle towards the wake......

I need to go to ski school but won't be able to swing it this year.....

Ric
07-08-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm no pro but you might need a longer ski for one thing

looking good!

SkiDog
07-08-2006, 04:36 PM
I LOVE the new camera. I set it up to maximize photo storage, and it literally could take 1800 pictures as fast as the shutter could go.

What kind of camera is it and about what does it costs?

phecksel
07-08-2006, 09:48 PM
What kind of camera is it and about what does it costs?
Nikon D50, with two lenses (not the kit lenses), 1GB card, and other accessories, $1,100. It was well worth every penny.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
07-09-2006, 12:40 PM
a D50 with TWO lenses for $1,100. that seems like a nice deal. :) My dad just got a Canon Rebel XT and I am looking forward to getting some photos with that soon.

BrianM
07-09-2006, 05:55 PM
OK, here's a sequence of what' supposed to be my "good" side

I think I understand the "hips up" but weclome any and all comments

Got to get the hips up more going into the turn. Also let the ski finish the turn before you load up for the pull. This will help the ski get more angle and allow you to get into a strong pulling position before the boat really starts pulling. Waiting to get into the pull will also help you maintain a strong position instead of breaking at the waist and also sitting down crossing the wake.

John B
07-09-2006, 07:03 PM
Got to get the hips up more going into the turn. Also let the ski finish the turn before you load up for the pull. This will help the ski get more angle and allow you to get into a strong pulling position before the boat really starts pulling. Waiting to get into the pull will also help you maintain a strong position instead of breaking at the waist and also sitting down crossing the wake.

Don't re-grab the handle till the ski come all the way around. Let the tip of the ski cross under the rope and then re-grab. That way you will get more angle against the boat. Take your time and finish your turn before you start your pull. :twocents: :D

Farmer Ted
07-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Don't re-grab the handle till the ski come all the way around. Let the tip of the ski cross under the rope and then re-grab. That way you will get more angle against the boat. That your time and finish your turn before you start your pull. :twocents: :D

Thanks Brian/Johnny!

I'll need to bring a Sharpie to write all this stuff on my forearm next time I go skiing.

Hips up
don't sit
ski tip under the rope

.....sure would be nice to have an accessible ski club around here......

east tx skier
07-11-2006, 11:44 AM
As Brian once related to me, step on the gas. Makes more sense for a RFF skier. But he meant, roll that front ankle foward and push your back knee into your front knee. Really helps get the ski in the water for the pull.

My cousin, who used to be an instructor, was very frank. He said, "When you pull, show me your t*ts." Pushing your chest up/out tends to also push your hips out in front. The first time I did that, I picked up another ball.

No expert. Just a guy trying hard to work through all the same stuff. Will miss you at ski school.

By the way, I was amazed at how many shots we were able to squeeze off on the Minolta over the 4th. My wife was shooting shots of her dad and I counted 15 frames before the camera paused to write. If you put it in the slide show setting in Windows and hold down the arrow key, the preview pane looks like a video.