PDA

View Full Version : HELP! I can't let go!!!

Maristar210
07-07-2006, 10:53 PM
I have a 4'6" LF wakesurf, a Maristar 210 with 600 lbs of ballast and I cannot let go of the rope while wakesurfing. I am stumped, what is my problem?

Thanks - Steve

tex
07-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Gene is under your boat pushing up!

wiltok
07-07-2006, 11:25 PM
To surf without the rope - you need to lean forward and put weight on your front foot. It's very different than skiing - and if you ski a lot it will feel strange. Also, try to find the "'pocket" - I find it's where the wake curls but before it washes out. It's fairly close to the boat, only a few feet away from the swim platform. On my X-9 with stock ballast, I can ride without the rope and also switch from one side of the wake to the other. Practice makes perfect...

Workin' 4 Toys
07-08-2006, 12:00 AM
Good tips, I intend to give this a try soon myself.

PendO
07-08-2006, 12:31 AM
I have a 4'6" LF wakesurf, a Maristar 210 with 600 lbs of ballast and I cannot let go of the rope while wakesurfing. I am stumped, what is my problem?

Thanks - Steve

Steve ... I think that the board is too small (for starters) ... when I tried to learn on a small board I had a terrible time, just not enough surface area ... I was trying on a hyperlite broadcast with little success, but when I tried on the hyperlite Landlock at 220# it was a lot easier. Also, with your 600# of ballast do you have the center and the rear on that side filled ... might try a fat sack in the middle to make the boat ride deeper, and also, if you can turn the boat slightly it will make the wake curl a bit better as you learn, just a slight turn will do ... it took me a weekend to be able to let go ... good luck man!

rlyons124
07-08-2006, 06:11 PM
To surf without the rope - you need to lean forward and put weight on your front foot. It's very different than skiing - and if you ski a lot it will feel strange. Also, try to find the "'pocket" - I find it's where the wake curls but before it washes out. It's fairly close to the boat, only a few feet away from the swim platform. On my X-9 with stock ballast, I can ride without the rope and also switch from one side of the wake to the other. Practice makes perfect...

hey wiltok, i have an x9 also and i cant let go of the rope either. what board are you riding and how fast are you going. thanks.

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Hey Steve, Leave the Clinchers in the boat! You should not need them for Wake Surfing! :D

Maristar210
07-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Tried it today. Ballast over the ski locker, stationed forward on the board and leaning into it.........

FACE PLANT

Tried for 45 minutes. Can't find the sweet spot. Going 9 mph is that right?

I'm going to go do something on the pontoon I know how to.....

DRINK :friday:

Steve

Steve

Hoosier Bob
07-08-2006, 07:16 PM
Shouldn't big boys like us be on 60"+ and even 5'6"? :confused:

wiltok
07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
hey wiltok, i have an x9 also and i cant let go of the rope either. what board are you riding and how fast are you going. thanks.

I'm using a HyperLite Landlock and going 9.8 mph.

wiltok
07-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Couple of other tips:

-Make sure your feet at spread relatively far apart (at least shoulder width)
-Press on front foot to increase speed/approach boat; lean on back foot to slow down/move away from boat
-Having someone in the boat who can throw the rope back to you if you start to drift away will help speed the learning process
-Although you can do it when it's rough - it's definitely easier to learn when lake is calm
-MOST IMPORTANT - if the water depth is less than 6 feet (approx) it is impossible to ride without the rope; you need deep water!!

rlyons124
07-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Thanks wiltok, great picture. I'll try again this weekend.

vinniep
07-10-2006, 01:15 PM
Until you find the sweet spot I think you need a bigger board and more weight. Once you get in the grove you may find you don't need as much weight. Make sure you have a good wide base on the board before starting. I like my front foot forward of midde about a foot's length and my back foot all the way back. This will give you room to shift your weight as needed. Ride towards the middle of the wake and close to the platform. You may have to get "scarey" close at first until you get used to it. I am 5'11" 180 and ride a 5'6". The bigger the board the easier it will be. We run between 10-11 mph with an X-30 all tanks full. Good luck!

Leroy
07-10-2006, 01:27 PM
I tried it with my 142cm wakeboard two weeks ago and could not turn loose either. It was definitely too small.

I had never heard needing deep water, good one.

dapicatti
07-10-2006, 11:57 PM
Put all of your ballast on one side of the boat, whichever side you are surfing on and load up the human ballast on that side only (except driver of course). Then have your driver go in a big circle, 10mph towards the side with the ballast. We use the CWB Ride, larger board, easier for beginners. Eventually you will find the "sweet spot" where the rope will go slack-then its time to let go. It took a while to get it, you seem to be ready to come aboard the swim platform when it is right.

:D

MLD004
07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Make sure you have your toes on the edge of the board that is facing into the wake. Then Lean you body out over your toes. You need to be almost edging into the wake and not just letting it push you.

MLD004
07-11-2006, 10:56 AM
It is easier to learn on a bigger board, but once you learn to ride in the sweet spot of the wake you should be able to ride the smaller one with no problem and you can do a lot more on them.

Mag_Red
07-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Don't be afraid of the swim platform...........sometimes the tip of my board is almost on it:headbang:

MLD004
07-11-2006, 11:00 AM
One last thing. Don't worry about ridding with out a rope, just keep ridding and try to get the rope to go limp and keep it that way. This way you aren't alway falling. You will learn a lot fast how to control to board if you are actually on it and not sitting in the water waiting for the driver to come and get you up again.

Ryan27r
07-27-2006, 01:16 AM
The X-9 seems to me to be the easiest boat to surf with if you have the stock ballast filled. With out ballast the wake is mush and you cant keep your speed and cut very well