PDA

View Full Version : Running of the Bulls

tex
07-07-2006, 01:58 PM
It started yesterday. I ran with 3 show ski buddies back in 1993. It was the single biggest rush of my life! We always call each other during this week to swap stories about when we lived like rock stars. Anybody else run and party in Spain? :dance:

sanjuan23
07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
My God Brother ran with the bulls a few years back said the exact same thing about it being the biggest rush of his life and enjoyed 3 days of partying with some of the craziest Spainards! He had some video footage that was out of this world.

atlfootr
07-07-2006, 10:29 PM
My God Brother ran with the bulls a few years back,
he had some video footage that was out of this world.Let's see it :popcorn:
Load it onto putfile.com, then tell us where :firejump:

atlfootr
07-07-2006, 10:36 PM
THE RUNNING RULES
An edict issued by the mayors office details the following rules concerning the running of the bulls:

1. Those who are less than 18 years old are forbidden to run.
2. Crowding the fence is not allowed.
3. All doors along the runway must be closed.
4. No one can remain in the runway who is drunk or drugged or who in any other way represents a danger to the rest.
5. One cannot carry things into the runway.
6. Runners must be dressed correctly.
7. It is forbidden to call to the bulls or in any way attract their attention either in the runway or in the ring.
8. Taking photos from inside the runway or from the fences during the "encierro" is not allowed without permission from the authorities.

tex
07-07-2006, 10:38 PM
I ran before the days of cameras that were small enough for you to run with! Tomorrow would be my 12 anniversary!

atlfootr
07-07-2006, 10:40 PM
Tips for running

Access -If you want to participate in the running, you should enter the track before 7:30 am through the gates in the Plaza Consistorial and stay there until the municipal barriers in the stretch between the Square and the Old Military hospital. After 7:30 the accesses are closed and you are not allowed to leave the track.
Most dangerous stretches - Callejon-Plaza de Toros (eight deaths) and the end of the Cuesta de Santo Domingo (three deaths).
Garments - Use comfortable clothes and sneakers or sport shoes. Do not carry any other items (backpacks, cameras, etc.) with you.
Ask experts runners for advice - The running is neither a joke nor an opportunity for media coverage. The risks are enormous, and the mass attendance of runners makes it even more dangerous. It takes many years of practice to become a good runner.
Getting in and out of the flow - Getting into the flow of runners is as important as getting out of the way. Get in gradually, as the other runners get out. Or get straight in, from a standing start.
Beware of falling - Bulls are not the only danger. Mainly, it's the number of runners. The chances of stumbling and falling are very high. In fact, most of the people who are injured during the run have fallen and been trampled over by other runners. You have to look in front of you, behind you and on the ground. Once you are in the herd, it's safest to remain close to the bulls because there will be no runners in front of you. If you fall, just curl up and do not move until someone taps you on the shoulder. If you're near a bull and you fall, do not try to get up. If you curl up in a ball, the bull will evade you and continue running. Getting up will cause the bull to attack you. This is the most common mistake made by runners.

tex
07-07-2006, 10:46 PM
2 of the guys that I ran with got run over by alot of people. I ran like the place down under and had a blast. I still have my red sash and my rolled up newspaper in a shadowbox in my gameroom. It is also famous for the party. They claim that it is the 2nd biggest party in the world behind only the Carnival in Rio. I beleive it...it never shuts down! The most dangerous part is where the route turns and leads into the arena. It narrows and there is nowhere to hide. Locals call it the Valley of Death. It is a turn and about 30 yards. I think I covered that part in about 2.2 seconds. We watched one day and ran the next.

atlfootr
07-08-2006, 01:36 AM
Ever try it w/ Texas Long Horns?

peason
07-08-2006, 09:25 AM
Just heard on the news yesterday that one American is partially paralyzed this year - seems like a high price to pay for the experience? I'm sure it is a lot of fun - and to be enjoyed when you're young and don't have to worry about others depending on you.

shepherd
07-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Just heard on the news yesterday that one American is partially paralyzed this year - seems like a high price to pay for the experience? I'm sure it is a lot of fun - and to be enjoyed when you're young and don't have to worry about others depending on you.

Kind of like waterskiing? People get injured and paralyzed doing that sometimes too.

bigmac
07-08-2006, 11:45 AM
"The last thing I remember about my visit to Pamplona...."

http://mccollister.info/bull crash.jpg

tex
07-08-2006, 11:50 AM
I heard he was on one of those flying tubes with no helmet...is that a bad karma joke? :confused:

bigmac
07-08-2006, 11:55 AM
I heard he was on one of those flying tubes with no helmet...is that a bad karma joke? :confused:

http://forums.aswp.net/theme_aswp/smilies/lol.gif
.....http://forums.aswp.net/theme_aswp/smilies/rain.gif

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 08:35 PM
"The last thing I remember about my visit to Pamplona...."
http://mccollister.info/bull crash.jpg

Doesn't #8. Taking photos ( above shot) from inside the runway or from the fences during the "encierro" is not allowed without permission from the authorities break some kind of rule?

Hey bigmac, I found something that maybe a little safer ..... you don't even have to leave your computer

Running of the Bulls - Presented by Addicting Games

Can you outrun a ton of angry bull? ... :eek3:

http://www.addictinggames.com/runningofthebulls.html

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Just heard on the news yesterday that one American is partially paralyzed this year - seems like a high price to pay for the experience? I'm sure it is a lot of fun - and to be enjoyed when you're young and don't have to worry about others depending on you.Searched it and found this ...
Pamplona injury may paralyze American
By PAUL HAVEN, Associated Press Writer
Fri Jul 7, 1:16 PM ET

A New York man suffered potentially paralyzing injuries when he was thrown by a young cow in a mock bull fight Friday at the end of the first day of Spain's famed running of the bulls.

Ray Ducharme, 31, of New York state, was thrown by one of five cows released in a crowd of hundreds of people in a ring after the first of eight days of bull runs. Officials said Ducharme could not move his legs and underwent emergency surgery.

"He is in very serious condition and could be paralyzed for life," said Pello Pellejero, a Pamplona government spokesman. He did not release Ducharme's hometown.

The run began at 8 a.m. when six bulls, each weighing about three-quarters of a ton, stormed out of a corral and chased thousands of runners a half-mile up packed Cuesta Santo Domingo street.

A New Zealand man was gored in the thigh and a Pamplona native fell and was trampled. Five other people suffered minor injuries.

Ducharme was injured in what is known as a vaquilla, in which hundreds of people chase five cows and pull their ears and tails in the bull ring where the runs end. The cows are much smaller than fighting bulls, and have smaller horns, but still weigh nearly a half-ton each.

Pamplona's San Fermin festival dates to the 16th century and was immortalized in Ernest Hemingway's 1926 novel "The Sun Also Rises." A bronze bust of the writer stands outside the bull ring.

There has been an effort in recent years to teach runners how to stay safe, including instructions to stay down after a fall rather than trying to stand up amid the charging animals.

Since record-keeping began in 1924, 13 people have been killed during the runs. The last death was in 1995.

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Says, Ducharme was injured in what is known as a vaquilla, in which hundreds of people chase five cows and pull their ears and tails in the bull ring where the runs end.

Now that's, jus plain STUPID :noface:
Personally, I would of be happy enough surving the run .... leaving well enough alone

atlfootr
07-11-2006, 09:18 PM
Found this tidbit as well, "A little under 10% of the people who go to Pamplona to run with the bulls are American, and yet they make up nearly 47% of the injuries during the San Fermin Festival."

bigmac
07-12-2006, 12:36 AM
Doesn't #8. Taking photos ( above shot) from inside the runway or from the fences during the "encierro" is not allowed without permission from the authorities break some kind of rule?

Hey bigmac, I found something that maybe a little safer ..... you don't even have to leave your computer

Running of the Bulls - Presented by Addicting Games

Can you outrun a ton of angry bull? ... :eek3:

http://www.addictinggames.com/runningofthebulls.html

Excellent! :D

tex
07-12-2006, 08:53 PM
A lot of Aussies and Kiwis run.

tex
11-15-2007, 12:30 AM
I can only run in circles!